Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters

Compass Helicopters Rage RC Hellicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Compass Team Tips Videos

Going to start a thread here, and hopefully it will continue to build. The purpose being on getting team members to help post videos on "tips" they employ to help out in repair, increase performance/reliability, etc....

I know we all have our own tricks, but it doesn't do the masses any good unless they know them as well. I'm giong to post the first one, regarding a nagging issue I occasionally have.

Hope it helps
Episode 1---Fixing the loose tail hub/shaft.
Also to clarify, I mis-state that the set screw gets loose. It's NOT the set screw getting loose, but the shaft metal wearing a bit against the grub screw and thus the assembly loosens enough to create play. So when I talk about the screw loosening, it's NOT again the screw turning or becoming loose. Sorry for that!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vt0oUF6qmM[/ame]

pic of tail shaft where grub screw has burrowed into the metal. If this loosens just a touch, the shaft will start to wobble a bit until corrected.

Episodes 2 and 3: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?p=3465174
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pics 009.jpg
Views:	1645
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	265176  
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC

Last edited by TheBum; 12-13-2011 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: Added links to episodes 2 and 3
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nicely done John!

Great information!
Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Awesome idea John!

Increasing the surface area that pressure is being applied to (by removing the high spot ring on the grub screw) makes it so that much more metal would have to be distorted for the hub to loosen.

Please keep the Team Tips coming!

Old 11-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 11-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cook View Post
..but it doesn't do the masses any good unless they know them as well.
Thank-you What a GREAT service to your Compass customers.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is a big service to the Compass community. Compass already has great support via Team Compass and Nankin Hobby. This takes it to another level. I've seen Curtis Youngblood do these types of videos with his products and they are highly appreciated by the heli community. I think those videos should also be embedded on the Compass web site under a "Team Tips" menu item.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Keep them coming... I'm getting a 7hv very soon and I read all the threads here just to get good heads up information. Great job, John!

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 07:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

thx guys! I'm very flattered that there has been such a positive response to this video and the potential of more to come.

I'll be doing more as time allows. They will be for compass helis in general, not just the 7hv, but since Compass designs seem to trickle up/down among the models. Alot of what will be covered will be applicable across models. For instance the tail hub video while used the 7HV for reference, is useful for the 3d plus and 6hv etc...

Next topics in the cue:
1--Post crash--Fixing the damage you don't see( with sub topics)
a) fixing "fish wallow" on the tail
b) which bearings to be concerned about changing IMO
c) swash balls
d) misc

2-- 3d plus---changing the clutch or clutch bell w/out removing motor

3---Servo and wire routing without going insane--for 6HV and Atom 500

4---Goop---The heliman's equivilent of duct tape.

btw in my videos---I sometimes don't know if there is a correct term for what I'm describing, so I may make up names. If there is a term/name to what I may describe, I'm probably unaware of that and you all can correct me on that . Certainly, I'm not perfect .

Oh, and my work table is ALWAYS messy . Wish it wasn't so, but with a more than full time job, wife and 4 kids, I get precious little time to work on my helis, much less fly them. Cleaning my work room usually gets pushed off until it gets so BAD that I can't find things or my projects start taking so much longer b/c of the mess. So hope you all can excuse the clutter and mess.

Also, if I stay motivated and keep putting out videos, and the rest of the team can chip in as well. We will probably start a seperate sub forum in the Compass area, once there is enough content anyway, so that way the vids will be better organized. For now I'll probably post them up here in the general Compass area, one at a time.
Spartan RC
Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
thx guys!..

Next topic in the cue:
Post crash--Fixing the damage you don't see( with sub topics)
a) fixing "fish wallow" on the tail
b) which bearings to be concerned about changing IMO
c) swash balls
d) misc.
What is a Fish Wallow?

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk.
superrmario is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrmario View Post
What is a Fish Wallow?

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk.
lol one of my made up terms. I'll describe it better in the video I plan to do, but it involves a very very slow back and forth wag of the tail. Looks like how a fishes tail goes back and forth as they swim forward. I'll describe causes for it, and the potential fixes.

PS---I also want to state that these fixes in many cases may not be Compass specific, they may help people across other brands. I'll be doing them though on Compass models though, hence team tips naming. Not to exclue others, but I'm not sure what will apply or not to other brands...

Many of the topics I will choose may very well be things that took me quite awhile to troubleshoot, or things I learned from other pro or sponsored pilots that are big time savers. I'm no 100% expert, but I have learned a fair bit along the way from having great friends in the hobby and going to many fun flys. Eventually I'll make mistakes, so when I do just call me out on it and tell me what I did wrong. I'm not here to preach from my pulpit, just trying to help other people out
Spartan RC
Old 11-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Oh, and my work table is ALWAYS messy . Wish it wasn't so, but with a more than full time job, wife and 4 kids, I get precious little time to work on my helis, much less fly them. Cleaning my work room usually gets pushed off until it gets so BAD that I can't find things or my projects start taking so much longer b/c of the mess. So hope you all can excuse the clutter and mess.
How dare you make these great videos with a messy work area! ;-)
I bet I have you beat for mess. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	266104  
Old 11-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

John,

"3---Servo and wire routing without going insane--for 6HV and Atom 500"

If I was already insane before I wired my 6HV and Atom 500, will this video cure me?

(looking forward to all of these,sir!)
Old 11-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmit View Post
How dare you make these great videos with a messy work area! ;-)
I bet I have you beat for mess. See attached.
lol, glad to know I'm not the only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
John,

"3---Servo and wire routing without going insane--for 6HV and Atom 500"

If I was already insane before I wired my 6HV and Atom 500, will this video cure me?

(looking forward to all of these,sir!)
Haha! We can only hope for the best
Spartan RC
Old 11-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

John I hope you don't mind if we include ALL build tips and tricks in this thread. I just wanted to include my break away tab mod.

I am also going to sticky this thread.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

no problem bro
any way we can help people the better
Spartan RC
Old 11-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
The man behind CHC

Default hellz yeah

Quote:
no problem bro
any way we can help people the better

guys meet Dr John!! im hyped about seeing these!!
tony whiteside is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool 7hv buzzing reply

No it is not the center hub in the tail blade grips on the shaft(they are solid like it's one piece). As I stated previously everything in the tail is just as it should be and if you read my post you might note that it went from perfection to having buzz/vibe between 2 flights( not gradually over several flights, the way that things generally loosen on their own) and was caused by something I did during some routine maintenance( pretty sure the grease in the OWB is too thick but I still haven't found a local shop that even knows what tri-flow is) My issue is also not causing any tail wag or any other bad effects aside from loud buzzing and vibration(not shaking, no oscillation) in fact it does not seem to have changed anything else about the way it flies. Flies just like it did before, just vibration and loud only at governed headspeeds, not during spool-up and spool-down. Although the vibration is showing on the carbon fiber tail fin that is not its origin. The whole heli vibrates I think due to the thick grease in the one way bearing not allowing it to disengaged properly. I flashed the microbeast and got it close but have not yet got it dialed in because I don't want to fly the heli until I resolve this issue rather than take the chance of something worse happening. It is completely unrelated to the microbeast as well. I'm thinking it's the grease really and if not maybe the belt or a combo of the two. Otherwise, all I can think is maybe remove the motor mount and verify there is not a build up of loctight in the screw slots keeping the mount from aligning correctly. Which I don't think is the problem because I have flown about 5 times trying to sort this out and i see no difference in main gear wear pattern which has always been minimal. Infact, after snowing gear dust the first 10-20 flights I have seen no additional wear on the gear whatsoever. The heli went from flying like a 7hv (no vibration, silent) to flying like a shrimok(loud, constant steady vibration) if that helps to describe it.
ethereal sky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Hit up cycling stores for triflow.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal sky View Post
No it is not the center hub in the tail blade grips on the shaft(they are solid like it's one piece). As I stated previously everything in the tail is just as it should be and if you read my post you might note that it went from perfection to having buzz/vibe between 2 flights( not gradually over several flights, the way that things generally loosen on their own) and was caused by something I did during some routine maintenance( pretty sure the grease in the OWB is too thick but I still haven't found a local shop that even knows what tri-flow is) My issue is also not causing any tail wag or any other bad effects aside from loud buzzing and vibration(not shaking, no oscillation) in fact it does not seem to have changed anything else about the way it flies. Flies just like it did before, just vibration and loud only at governed headspeeds, not during spool-up and spool-down. Although the vibration is showing on the carbon fiber tail fin that is not its origin. The whole heli vibrates I think due to the thick grease in the one way bearing not allowing it to disengaged properly. I flashed the microbeast and got it close but have not yet got it dialed in because I don't want to fly the heli until I resolve this issue rather than take the chance of something worse happening. It is completely unrelated to the microbeast as well. I'm thinking it's the grease really and if not maybe the belt or a combo of the two. Otherwise, all I can think is maybe remove the motor mount and verify there is not a build up of loctight in the screw slots keeping the mount from aligning correctly. Which I don't think is the problem because I have flown about 5 times trying to sort this out and i see no difference in main gear wear pattern which has always been minimal. Infact, after snowing gear dust the first 10-20 flights I have seen no additional wear on the gear whatsoever. The heli went from flying like a 7hv (no vibration, silent) to flying like a shrimok(loud, constant steady vibration) if that helps to describe it.
Thanks for your input though. That gives me something to watch out for in the future. It's just disappointing that every place I call doesn't even know what tri-flow is. Gonna check the bike shops now, I'm almost out of hardware stores. It's weird in my area I can never find anything needed for heli's and usually have to order things. And if they ask me what it's for and I tell them the truth (that it's for a rc helicopter) they look at me like I'm the weird one while I'm looking back at them thinkin, "you're the one that doesn't know what tri-flow is". Sorry bout ranting, just thought this is kinda funny/weird.
ethereal sky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

try some ATF(Auto transmission fluid) Synthetic if available for decent pricing. That works great for one ways
Spartan RC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in