Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 425

Hurricane 425 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Questions about Gaui 425

Just discovered this Heli while poking around on the internet. I've got some questions though and thought you guys might be able to help out.

This Heli is a "425" but swings 425mm blades. Is this Heli bigger than a 450? I currently have an E-Razor 450 It uses 325mm blades.

What size servos does this Heli take?

Anyone have an Electronic version of the manual or parts guide for this?

Hows parts availability?

Overall this seems like a really good deal for $80.00 whats the general take on this Helicopter?

I've been thingking about getting this
http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-450-spor...ic-p-3713.html
but the parts availability worries me a bit

Thoughts?
Himilou is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is basically a 500 size heli. I think the 425 refers to the blade size. I went with 430 size blades. It uses 6S batteries.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like above, the 425 stands for 425mm blade size. Same as the trex 500. It can also be stretched to 500mm and 550mm size.

The frame accepts standard size or mini servos.

The other heli you've linked is a trex 450 sport clone. It would be pretty much similar to your e razor.
wobbles99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 02:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can get the manual from Gaui's download page (link). It has all of their manuals. Just look for the Hurricane 425 manual.

http://www.gaui.com.tw/html/download.asp

The frame is made for full sized servos. Minis can be used with adapter plates. A few places I get parts from here in the US are;

RCDumbthumbs, AlleRC, and HeliFlightCenter.

IMO, it is a well built helicopter for the price. I have 4 of them.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Parts are available from more than just a few places still. There's a sticky at the top of the Gaui 550 forum with that info. Actually, a few sticky threads that are worth reading.

Good luck! the 425/550 is a good beast to fly, and rather cheap to rebuild when flown into the ground.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Whats the catch..

So this seems too good to be true!

Thanks for the manual post BTW. This is the best Heli manual I've ever seen.

I'm gonna get one unless someone tells me they ship with a self destruct function.

From looking at the Gaui site seems like there are 2 different versions of the 425. ( one they call Ep 425 plastic ) which has a longer gear train than the other.

Do they cost the same?

If so opinions on which is better?

Thanks in advance freaks!!

Himilou
Old 01-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

This heli seems too good to be true!

I don't think I've ever seen a manual from Taiwan as well done as the one for this copter.

From looking at Gaui's site it seems that there are 2 different versions the EP 425 and the EP 425 plastic and for starters the gear train is completely different. Any opinions on which model is better?

Thanks in Advance
Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The plastic frame is great if you do not excessively over-power it. The gear train is the same for both versions. Parts should be available for a long time. I have one as a 550 and am looking at building my collection of spares into a 425. It's a blast to fly with or without a flybar.
I have wanted a carbon frame off and on, but have stuck with plastic cause it's cheaper.
=\TICxTOC/= is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 425

I have a TREX 600 and a Protos 500. My GAUI fits exactly between the two if you set them all out side by side. So, I'd say its a good 550 sized. In fact the 550 Canopy fits it and is actually better if you do the 1 x 6s vs 2 x3s battery combo modification. However, I currently use 2 x 3s batteries to total 4400mah and the 550 canopy. Just a little roomier. As you've read above, the 425 is the size of the blades.

My Gaui 425 is my favorite heli, well very close with my protos flybarless. I can throw the GAUI around like nothing. Its so responsive and controllable. I can fly it way better than my others. I use my 600 to take aerial photos as a business too. Little different with a camera mount. I'm a wounded warrior so I had to find something that was pretty easy to make a living at on top of my active duty pay. I should be able to retire right into it after my surgeries are complete.

Definitely recommend the Gaui 425.
LandenTD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 04:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Himilou,

I've recently built this heli and kept a build log. Might be of help.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=379930

Also refer to Finless' build videos of the 550. A bit old but useful.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=31211

cheers,
stark is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandenTD View Post
I have a TREX 600 and a Protos 500. My GAUI fits exactly between the two if you set them all out side by side. So, I'd say its a good 550 sized. In fact the 550 Canopy fits it and is actually better if you do the 1 x 6s vs 2 x3s battery combo modification. However, I currently use 2 x 3s batteries to total 4400mah and the 550 canopy. Just a little roomier. As you've read above, the 425 is the size of the blades.
Hi, just to clarify, 2 x 3s @ 2200mAh make a 6s pack @ 2200mAh and not 4400mAh.
Rule of thumb is: for batteries in series the voltages add but current capacity remains same as the individual packs whereas for batteries in parallel, the current capacity adds and voltage remains same.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Hi Himilou,
I just bought 2 gauis, 1 425 and 1 550. What is brilliant about these helis is the gear train has so many different options for headspeed, depending on your motor. I've just ordered a motor from HK 1700 Kv for $38ish USD ( reviews say more like 1900KV) and have to run a 13T pinion with 60T rear main and 61 front main, just to get headspeed down to 2300(ish) RPM BEWARE, the motor pinion gears are 0.8 mod, you'll strip your gears if you dont use it!!!. Quality of these birds is amazing, price for spares good too ( even in the UK, where we normally get ripped off ). You must watch finless' vid on tail mod if you are running more than 2000RPM. Enjoy, it's gonna be hard not to .
Andy
pug907 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 04:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Andy,

for 425 you need to be around 2600RPM whereas for 550 you need to be around 2000RPM.

cheers,
Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Roger,
I will be running 2699 @ 85% eff. I read somewhere that you need the metal tail upgrade for speeds over 2600. Is that true? I only have the plastic tail grips, but figured I would need to run a bit faster than usual, as I have the flybarless setup. Also read on here that Gaui flybarless controller is cr*p, but don't have the money at the moment for a microbeast. Have you had any experience with GU 365 FBL controller??
Cheers, Andy
Old 05-12-2012, 03:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Andy,

I have only a few flights on this heli and haven't experienced any problems with the tail yet. I will keep it stock as much as possible and do changes only if I face problems. And you are not too off the RPM recommended in the manual, so I wouldn't worry.

My heli came with a tail correction sheeet. It seems they have replaced tiny screws with nylock nuts around the tail bearings. I believe this should improve the tail situation.

I haven't used Gaui FBL unit, but will keep away from it. You will not go wrong with beastx or V-bar. The money spent is well worth for the beastx as you spend less time on configuring (read fiddling) and more time on flying .
Old 05-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Stark.
I will have to sell a few things before I can afford to upgrade the FBL controller. It's a bit strange that Gaui have upgraded the 365, but are still selling it with the FES kit, but not in the full heli kits!!! My 550 is up for sale at the moment, as I don't need the 425 and 550, so hopefully I can get the beastx pretty soon. Happy flying,
Andy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in