Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade Grip Pitch Lever Connection

I am looking at putting my SK360 on an HDX500. The existing pitch levers are alread a long ways off the centerline of the blades helping the conversion. One item of concern is most of the conversions shown have the ball link to the pitch lever connection approx 0 degrees (or in phase) with the ball on the swash plate. How important in this? Is it ok to leave the pitch levers stock and what if any effects will this create.

Thanks
Greg
gpach is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll try my best but......... .... sorry had too!!

How Far is Far?? also you want the grip balls spaced out from the Feathering shaft pivot to provide a reduction in throw, with the stock location you will have to Reduce your servo travels to maintain the required swash movements (or it will bind). It also degrades your servo resolution and accuracy.

Try and Find some longer ball's (like the one for the Swash anti-rotation bracket -backwards) or use some spacers and longer screws. I am not familiar with the HDX head setup so I can only assume.(Where there's a Will, There's a Way- my flybarless motto) But I feel That getting the correct spacing off the Feathering shaft pivot point is just as important. on my trex I made it 19mm and stock is 12mm. I tried to post pics but server must be busy will try tomorrow
R.I.P. Axe cp
banshee_biker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Banshee, where in alberta are you from.

i guess a picture would have helped if I had one. You dont understand what I am asking. The HDX alread has the pitch lever connection a long ways out from the centerline of the feathering shaft, (21mm approx) thats isnt my concern. I just dont have a ready means to move the ball connection to the centerline of the main shaft where a lot of conversion show it. I picked up the ball and stand arrangement for a trex500 grip but it is still too short to reach the centerline of the main shaft

With the ball link straight up from the swash to the existing point the head will still be in phase, just the linkage rod will be at a slight angle. I was wondering if there would be any know issues running this setup over modifying the connection to move the ball over to the center of the main shaft.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pictures - They make a post worthwhile.

Ok, here are some pictures of the blade grips and the pitch levers. My question is.
- With the stock ball links on the pitch levers (moved back to the outter hole) are there any concerns with the fact that the ball isnt in line with the center of the main shft?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0525.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	54419   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0526.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	54420   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0527.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	54421  
Old 07-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Im in Calgary, YOu? One more Question Are you planning to Do a direct link from swash to blade Grip or Are you Using reduction Levers? iF you are then They will help you get more to the center. As far As I can See You should be Fine with your Ball distance off Center as long as you Get your Phasing so each one is Equally Off center- or you will have some Tracking/ control problems.
R.I.P. Axe cp
banshee_biker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

In calgary as well, PMed you my email.

I am planning on going direct from the swash to the pitch lever. I did the reduction arm arrangement on my 450 test machine and it worked ok. The 500 has some built in issues that actually make it work well (I think) with the flybarless without the reduction.

1) Pitch levers stick a long way out from centerline of feathering shaft/blade axis
2) Machine is designed for HS85MG servos that have a short (way to short) horn resulting in not enough travel range in the stock configuration
3) The diameter of the swash is smaller than other 500's resulting in less cyclic travel.

I tried to set it up stock and had my pitch mix at 95% to get 10 degrees. The cyclic was around 85% on the mixes. This resulted in running out of servo travel in the corners. didnt have any longer horns for the servos so I "adjusted" the connection of the link on the pitch levers in a tad. (1 tad = 5mm). This allowed me to get a pitch of 10 degrees with 60% mix and 6 degrees on the cyclics with 65%.

The mixing lever off the flybar is 2:1 ratio so I think if I just put the connection on the blade pitch lever back to its outer hole, convert to flybarless with leading edge control i should have my mixers around 55% for pitch and 50% on the cyclic mixes to get the appropriate range. Just a matter of trying it i was just curious of any bennefit to the conenction being in line with main shaft.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

>I tried to set it up stock and had my pitch mix at 95% to get 10 degrees. The cyclic was around 85% on the mixes. This resulted in running out of servo travel in the corners.

Did you try increasing the servo travels? They can go up to 175% of normal, so probably to the limit of your servos.
Skookum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2008, 12:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Art, I tried 125% on my end point adjustments. Even with this I ran out of travel in the corners. It wont be and issue once I go over to flybarless. Just need some small parts and I am set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in