Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Using Macbook pro as a remote FPV monitor for HD aerial video filming

I work in film production for wildlife conservation in East Africa and am looking for an affordable solution to film low level aerials. I have pretty much decided on a DJI-550 set up with GoPros, with which I have a fair amount of experience and work well (with the new ProTune 35MB/s upgrade) in my current HD workflow.

The main piece of the jigsaw left however is the remote video receiving unit and monitor. I have a huge aversion to any shiny screens, believing that the increase in sharpness and definition does not come close to compensating for the inconvenience of glare and reflection. I will be operating in bright sunlight and a matte screen is essential. Whilst I am sure there are antiglare monitors out there, I happened upon a unit called the Yellowjacket 5.8 USB...

http://www.iftrontech.com/product_in...roducts_id=190

...which allows for input straight from the receiver into a laptop via USB. It seems however, that this unit only works with PC laptops and not Mac - so I would need to run a virtual PC set up - which is something I have managed to avoid so far...

I then read about various USB video capture cards. But I can see nothing on RC forums about these. So I am seeking some advice on what the best solution for this would be.

Another thing I liked about using a laptop as a monitor, apart from the fact that it means less extra kit - is that the receiver will also get its power from the laptop. Therefore, adding a laptop to the configuration, in theory you could lose a monitor, its charging unit and the charging unit for the receiver... whilst also being able to record a low res screen capture reference video accompanied by your own spoken audio (this Yellowjacket has a mic input also).

However... in some instances, I would like to be able to walk around with a unit consisting of the heli controls and a small (7 inch or so) matte screen mounted above. Does anybody know of such an arrangement on the market? Otherwise I will custom build one. Any tips on good quality small HD matte screen monitors?

I hope to get some useful ideas here. Thanks.
Jimmychimp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You want to stay away from anything that goes to a blue (or black) screen when the signal isn't strong. Theres nothing as pucker inducing as having a ton of money flying and your screen goong blue... you want something that shows ALL the static as you can still see enough to emergency land or contiue to fly.

That pretty much eliminates ALL computer monitors or laptops...

You also NEVER want to use a GoPro as the main camera in fpv. They are VERY prone to locking up, crashing, restarting, etc., and killing your video signal. They also induce about a .5 to 1 second delay.. Also note that GoPro 3s do not have live video out.

It's hard to tell but it sounds like you are expecting HD quality video to be transmitted to you monitor? This doesn't exist. SD only is the best you can get for live transmission, and video quality is not great even on the best gear.

Most people use something like this which runs on a simple 3s.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-PD70...item460476d5ef

Or if you want to throw money away:
http://store.fpvbox.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=54
sl4ppy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 04:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Jimmy, buy a copy of Parallels Desktop and purchase a clean 64 bit microsoft windows 7 CD full, don't buy 8 its crap and don't buy the top of the line parallels either.
ignited is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

U can use a hero3 for live video out
http://flitetest.com/articles/GoPro3...ideo_Cable_DIY
Trexjon12 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in