Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Logo 600 SK720 Install Pics

Hey guys,
I just finished my Logo 600 build which includes the SK720. I moved the unit from my Trex 600 to the Logo. I thought I'd post some pics of the installation. The servo power box happens to fit perfectly in between the elevator servo and frame. So it makes for a very tidy installation.

The maiden went great, and the Logo 600 and SK720 are a fantastic match! Looking at the log data, the vibration levels are extremely low even during hard collective maneuvers.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8801.png
Views:	958
Size:	603.0 KB
ID:	149856   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8799.png
Views:	1209
Size:	568.8 KB
ID:	149857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8803.png
Views:	945
Size:	601.8 KB
ID:	149858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8798.png
Views:	102
Size:	681.5 KB
ID:	149859   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8797.png
Views:	883
Size:	590.4 KB
ID:	149860  

OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 01:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking good
alvinchai is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 02:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you only use one satellite receiver? If so would this be enough?
okteister1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Heck no! One is on the side and the other is horizontal in the back bottom.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Paul Macha Clone Account

So 430 bucks without LCD screen and witout governor right ?
Misha is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice!!!

What are you running to power the SK720?

Also, what are your thoughts on skookum vs vbar?

thanks
freeze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha View Post
So 430 bucks without LCD screen and witout governor right ?
Misha,

It's $424.99 with free shipping in the US. And yes, no governor at this time.

Pretty nice deal when you compare its features to other units ON the market today.

Lou
www.circlecityhelis.com
lperagallo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using a CC BEC pro feeding the skookum servo power bus. The BEC is tucked in in front of the motor behind the ESC.

Hi Misha. I'm a grumpy guy like you, so I understand where you are coming from.

LCD - You don't need one. Just plug the USB into your pc for setup. If you already have a laptop/netbook, the LCD is redundant.

Gov - This is something Skookum may eventually add. But I would be suprised if it was better then a Jive. Castle has been trying for years and their gov still isn't up gov's. We'll see.

What floats my boat is flight performance, logging which helps be trouble shoot and identify vibrations I can't see, bail out function, and eventually gps which improves the logging and opens up many more unique options.

Last edited by OnTheSnap; 04-19-2010 at 10:53 AM..
Old 04-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Governor function that most of us are talking about is for nitro helis. Don't think Skookum is talking about adding an ESC to the 720, but they have talked about a governor for nitro and gasser helis.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The TotalG and upcoming vBar gov both support electrics. Both likely use an external sensor for motor RPM. There is no reason why the 720 will differ.

The big advantage over a esc is that you ca precharge the motor for big collective changes.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Hey guys,
I just finished my Logo 600 build which includes the SK720. I moved the unit from my Trex 600 to the Logo. I thought I'd post some pics of the installation. The servo power box happens to fit perfectly in between the elevator servo and frame. So it makes for a very tidy installation.

The maiden went great, and the Logo 600 and SK720 are a fantastic match! Looking at the log data, the vibration levels are extremely low even during hard collective maneuvers.

Is that the bus in this picture? Forward of the 720?
Rick
rickn816 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
The TotalG and upcoming vBar gov both support electrics. Both likely use an external sensor for motor RPM. There is no reason why the 720 will differ.

The big advantage over a esc is that you ca precharge the motor for big collective changes.
I see what you are saying now. Thought you were talking about the 720 replacing the ESC. You would still need some kind of separate box to handle ESC functions as you can't put the the kind of amps and voltage through the 720 as you do with an ESC.

Guess what you are saying is using an external RPM sensor like we do on nitros, feeding that to the 720 and bypassing any gov function an ESC may have, thus using the ESC more like a throttle servo on a nitro. The 720 would thereby be doing pretty much the same thing in both electrics and fuel powered helis. The RPM pick-up would be different, but send the same kinds of inputs to the 720.

I fly large nitros, large electrics and small electrics and definitely agree with you about the advantages of the ESC or governor (on nitros) knowing what kind of load to expect from collective and cyclic inputs. I'm all for simplicity of set-ups. The more functions the 720 can take care of, reducing the number of separate boxes in all of my helis, the better!

Hopefully by the end of next week, I will have some pictures and flight reports for you guys of the 720 in my Velocity. Still a little undecided on if I'm setting it up with my AR7100R or satellites, the bus, separate governor, etc..
Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickn816 View Post
Is that the bus in this picture? Forward of the 720?
Rick
Yep.. Fits perfectly between the elevator and right frame. Quite snug though. The connectors overlap, but there is a 2mm gap, so there is no transfer of vibration.

R0T0R,
To be clear, there is no gov function now. This something that will be added in the future (hopefully). The TotalG already has it (not sure how well it works on electrics). And the vBar has announced it will be in the next update (this summer or fall?). Who knows how well either will work. But I'm hopeful.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey OnTheSnap, Yep, I've been following this for some time now and know there is no governor function currently. I had some inside info from long before the beta units came out that the governor function is something the 720 could be capable of in the future and that Art is considering it.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like the way you plugged the connectors in like that to get signal only. I may have to try that myself.
jake28 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Paul Macha Clone Account

Curtis J. Youngblood said:

The programming in the Total G for the gyro is very similar to the Mini G. And if you are running it with Spektrum you just need the satellite receivers. The number of them depends on the size machine.

And the governor actually works very well with electrics. I use it in my electric FAI machine and Nick is using it in his little Rave. It works better than most ESC governors we have tried.

Actually I still had some small tail twitch issues with even the "highest end" ESCs. The ATG or governor in the Total G gets rid of the twitches.

As for a lower cost unit without the governor, that is not how the electronics work. It would be the same basic unit,components wise, with or without the governor. So we would just be reducing your options without much cost savings.

The other point of the governor is we can use it for triggering the flight control to reduce takeoff issues and landing issues that gyros systems can tend to have.

To answer the question from earlier, yes you can turn off the governor if you choose to.

On the question of the tail kicking, honestly I am not sure why the ESC governors kick like they do, They seem to pulse the motor in such a way to cause small kicking, especially noticeable in the hover with the tail pointing towards you. Running our governor gets rid of this issue. I am certainly not saying all ESC governors are bad, there are ones out there that work well. People simply have the option to use the Total G governor in both Nitro or Electric if they want to.

If you are using the governor in your ESC, during setup of the Total G simply choose "Off" for the governor on the Total G.
Misha is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very exciting indeed! Art, are you listening?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha View Post
Curtis J. Youngblood said:

The programming in the Total G for the gyro is very similar to the Mini G. And if you are running it with Spektrum you just need the satellite receivers. The number of them depends on the size machine.

And the governor actually works very well with electrics. I use it in my electric FAI machine and Nick is using it in his little Rave. It works better than most ESC governors we have tried.

Actually I still had some small tail twitch issues with even the "highest end" ESCs. The ATG or governor in the Total G gets rid of the twitches.

As for a lower cost unit without the governor, that is not how the electronics work. It would be the same basic unit,components wise, with or without the governor. So we would just be reducing your options without much cost savings.

The other point of the governor is we can use it for triggering the flight control to reduce takeoff issues and landing issues that gyros systems can tend to have.

To answer the question from earlier, yes you can turn off the governor if you choose to.

On the question of the tail kicking, honestly I am not sure why the ESC governors kick like they do, They seem to pulse the motor in such a way to cause small kicking, especially noticeable in the hover with the tail pointing towards you. Running our governor gets rid of this issue. I am certainly not saying all ESC governors are bad, there are ones out there that work well. People simply have the option to use the Total G governor in both Nitro or Electric if they want to.

If you are using the governor in your ESC, during setup of the Total G simply choose "Off" for the governor on the Total G.
Thanks, Misha.

Rick
rickn816 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

@OnTheSnap

Is it Radix blades you run on yours L600? regular?
What tailblades & tailblade size do you run? (95 or 105's?)
Old 04-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel View Post
@OnTheSnap

Is it Radix blades you run on yours L600? regular?
What tailblades & tailblade size do you run? (95 or 105's?)
Hi MrMel,
I'm running the standard Radix blades and Edge 95mm tail blades.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in