Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50 > Titan X50

Titan X50 Thunder Tiger Titan X50 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail setup

I’m finishing up a flybarless X50 nitro & have a question about the tail setup. Should the tail pitch control lever be 90 degrees to the tail boom at neutral? If so, then I’m getting more travel one way than the other when setting the max limits with my controller (ikon, if that matters). 6mm one way & 9mm the other. I figure I have 3 choices. Please let me know which, if any, of these I should go with. Also, the servo horn IS at 90 degrees at neutral.

1. Set the tail pitch control lever at 90 degrees, set the travel limits to the max each way even though they are different & let the controller sort it out.
2. Set the tail pitch control lever at 90 degrees, set the travel limits to 6mm each way. One way won’t be maximized but at least they will be equal.
3. Set the tail pitch control lever to a position that will put the tail pitch control slider in the middle of it’s travel, ensuring equal travel to the max limit each way.

Thanks in advance for any help.
smartthumbs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats about what I ended up with to. I have a AR7200BX and I 90'ed the arm. I got a lot more push than pull. Flies great so far..
Old 05-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would stick to setting 90 to the boom. That's common practice.
Also one way having bigger distance than the other might not be problem. Consider that heli naturally has spin (physics) and tail rotor is there to compensate the rotation. Now logically to achieve same rotation speed in direction opposite to the natural spin you have to add more on pitch on the tail so i wouldn't think it's abnormal to have one side with more pitch than the other.
I can check how mine behaves but i am currently servicing engine so heli is all disassembled for at least a week or two.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Okay guys, thanks so much for the help. Option 1 it is.
smartthumbs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was thinking of this when I looked at mine this morning. With the lever at 90, my concern is the neutral position pitch of the tail blades is wrong. I would suspect the tail would be steady if in rate. I was thinking I'd set mine so that there is about 3 degrees of "bite" into the boom for a proper neutral. No doubt will fly fine either way the modeler chooses to set it, but I think that it may lead to the tail servo over working if not made to have a steady tail in rate. Not an expert opinion, but it seems to help tail performance when set correctly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in