Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Electric

MA Electric IonX2, Razor and Furion Support forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Don't worry about where the alignment tool says center should be. I have been flying mine setup with the balls below where the tool says and everything is fine. As long as your servo arms don't go down far enough to touch the main gear. This will not effect the geometry. It is simply just lowering the swash to where you need it.
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yes it will lower it to the correct height, the problem will then be that you don't get an even distance on - and + pitch due to the different radius throw on the arms.

So it looks like the supplied MA link rods and instructions for the FBL unit may not be quite correct??
dauste is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You are correct, but I think the tool actually set the links too high. If you look at the way the servos line up with the tool the horns are actually a little higher than 90 degrees. I have checked the pitches top and bottom the way I suggested and they are both even.

I have been using the links and rods from the kit. I have a slightly different measurement though.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know what you mean about them not seeming to be 90 deg to the servo and they aren't. Set using the tool though they are 90 deg to the frame/main shaft. You will see this better if you look at the front servo where the small hole in the frame is 90 deg to the end of the servo. I know it probably makes little difference, but it just isn't right.

I'm going to do some grinding tonight and will post the results.

Thanks for your input!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I've ground 4mm off each rod, leaving the measurement between the link ends at 17mm instead of the 21mm in the manual. Now all lines up perfectly with zero pitch when the servo arms are at 90 deg to the main shaft.

If I have screwed it up, I'm sure the Vbar will do the compensating!!

I'm still waiting on the ESC and some good weather before I can get in the air.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If it is any consolation, I think you did the right thing.
prototype3a is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks, so do I.

I would never have been happy if I'd left it like it was.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

From the top of my bearing block to the top of the shaft, I have about 97mm. That tells me I am in a worse situation than you maybe? Maybe I will run to the hobby store and gets some turnbuckles. The hole closest to the end of the mainshaft is on top by the way.
raptorwoody is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #89 (permalink)
NERD

My Razor has angled cyclic servos like that Dauste and they point square with the mainshaft just like your end result pictured. You did the right thing for sure.

By other posters getting the same situation it seems this might be something for MA to consider looking into.

Hope you video some flights Dauste, looks like she will be an awesome machine!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:36 AM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorwoody View Post
From the top of my bearing block to the top of the shaft, I have about 97mm. That tells me I am in a worse situation than you maybe? Maybe I will run to the hobby store and gets some turnbuckles. The hole closest to the end of the mainshaft is on top by the way.
I'd loose fit it together as instructed first and just see what you think. I don't want to suggest that others start chopping away at bits of their heli unless they are happy to do so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasymedes View Post
My Razor has angled cyclic servos like that Dauste and they point square with the mainshaft just like your end result pictured. You did the right thing for sure.

By other posters getting the same situation it seems this might be something for MA to consider looking into.

Hope you video some flights Dauste, looks like she will be an awesome machine!
For sure I'll get some vids of the first flights, they will be tentative as I've never flown anything bigger than a 450 before.

Last edited by dauste; 10-07-2010 at 04:37 AM..
Old 10-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I know what you mean about them not seeming to be 90 deg to the servo and they aren't
That's not what I meant. I set the elevator servo up and then put my swash leveler on to do the aileron servos. When I put that tool on the frame it was high compared to where the balls are on the horns. If you made the horns 90 degrees to the servo you wouldn't have anyt travel in the negative direction. Anyway, I'm glad you got it working.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry Rich! I do see what you mean now, they do look a little high. I also did the front elevator first and have based my measurements on this as that is definately 90 deg to the shaft when set-up using the sighting hole in the frame. That requires my link rod length to be 17mm and I have based the other lengths on that. It may be that I have to lower the aileron servos slightly (I don't have a swash tool at the moment, so may be a bit off). But there was no way it was going to be right with the links as they were.

Edit: OK I have levelled the swash now and did need to drop the aileron servos about 1mm below where the tool indicates. All looks good!

Last edited by dauste; 10-07-2010 at 05:26 PM..
Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #93 (permalink)
NERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauste View Post
....I've never flown anything bigger than a 450 before.
Oh S!@#, lol, man you are in for a treat! To step from a 450 to a 600 with a 4035-560 motor on 10S...oh yeah.....you just wait......

Old 10-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Glad it seemed to work for you. At some point you really should invest in a swash plate leveler. It will make your heli fly great and will make your setup much easier. Good luck with it.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My my my!!! I have been drooling over this machine since it came out! Might be my next heli after I recover from the Spectra E-conversion!
[X]Outlaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Wiring!!

I've got to the point where I need to start looking at the wiring routes etc. Seeing as though I'm using the Vbar as the receiver, everything has to run up to the gyro mount area.

I am a bit anal at getting it looking neat and although the 6 is twice the size of the 450, the solid side frames don't give you much access except through the grommet covered holes and so makes a neat job that much harder.

In the end I made the decision to drill a 10mm hole up by the elevator servo in order to run the wire straight through to the Vbar. It is all looking good now. The ESC is turning up on Tuesday, so I will get that fitted, tidy up around the Vbar and then do some internal pics.

Last edited by dauste; 10-10-2010 at 04:32 PM..
Old 10-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

That looks great! Very nice job on the wiring and all that.
raptorwoody is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks great! Your battery packs look a bit weenie for the heli though.

BTW. I didnt have the same problem with the links from the servos to the swash. Mine line up the way they are supposed to for zero pitch on the blades.
Eyefly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know, I'm really struggling to try and get the CoG right with those. Even if I have them nearly hanging off the end of the plate it still doesn't balance!

I'd sure like to check out someone else's heli close up, because my head also all lines up at perfect right angles now, but I did have to lose that 4mm off the links?? Strange stuff...

Got the tracking number for the ESC so it will be here tomorrow. Not sure if I will get it fitted then though. Once it is in place I'm going to see how much weight is needed from the batteries to properly balance out before I go investing in a load of new 5S packs only to find they weigh too much.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I made my links from servo to swashplate the length in the directions. The long links to the head I had to shorten as well to get 0 degrees pitch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in