Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Logo 600sx threw a tail grip today. Anyone else have this happen?

So I was having some awesome flights with my 600 today. Flew 11 flights with no incidents. Of course on my last flight of the day disaster struck. In the middle of a piro tic toc I heard a noise and lost the tail. It sounded like maybe the tail belt broke. I hit throttle hold out of instinct and the heli went in.

Upon inspecting the crash scene one of the tail grips/blades was missing and was nowhere to be found. When I looked at the tail hub I could see the tail spindle bolt had sheared off with half still threaded inside.

Anyone else have this happen? Anything that could have caused it or prevented it? Sucks to crash that way.
clever is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2016, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gotta ask, is this the one you had written about earlier that had the pinging sound in the tail?

In your other thread, I saw that no one had come up with anything other than the possibility of a belt slapping the boom, correct.

I don't want to sound critical, but in hind sight, I would have made absolutely sure that the two setups were identical in every way before flying all those flights. Strange noises and pinging sounds do not seem to be a normal thing for a heli to be doing, and a heli isn't like a person with a cut that will heal itself.

I know you asked about the pinging noise, and I honestly can't come up with an answer, having not seen or heard the heli operate. There is one thing that usually is the culprit on a bolt failing, and that is overload or vibration induced fatigue.

What kind of headspeed did you have it set up for? As best as I can recall, there is a Mikado max headspeed limit of 2100 on the 600. Since Mikado has a great many of these machines in service, (one that I fly), I don't think that if you adhered to this max limit, you would have gotten an overload, so it makes me lean towards the vibration induced fatigue on the bolt. Did the bolt shear right where the end of the tail hub where the bolt goes into the hub, or was it at point where the threads end up against the head? I wish I could be of more help. If you have pix of the tail hub and bolt, if you could post them, it might help identify the culprit.

There have been reports of this kind of failure on both Align 700s and Gaui X7s. This is the first I've read or heard about this happening on Logos. I wish you luck in getting it rebuilt and back into the air.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2016, 04:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Was this with the old 4mm hub (black) or the new 5mm one (silver)?
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny31297 View Post
The 600SX never came with a 4mm hub...
Old 06-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

He could have partially upgraded an old 600 3D and stuck with the old hub, which was known to frequently fail under high loads. If he's got the 5mm hub on there, we'd need to look further.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Then it ain't a 600 SX
Old 06-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyerheli View Post
Gotta ask, is this the one you had written about earlier that had the pinging sound in the tail?

In your other thread, I saw that no one had come up with anything other than the possibility of a belt slapping the boom, correct.

I don't want to sound critical, but in hind sight, I would have made absolutely sure that the two setups were identical in every way before flying all those flights. Strange noises and pinging sounds do not seem to be a normal thing for a heli to be doing, and a heli isn't like a person with a cut that will heal itself.

I know you asked about the pinging noise, and I honestly can't come up with an answer, having not seen or heard the heli operate. There is one thing that usually is the culprit on a bolt failing, and that is overload or vibration induced fatigue.

What kind of headspeed did you have it set up for? As best as I can recall, there is a Mikado max headspeed limit of 2100 on the 600. Since Mikado has a great many of these machines in service, (one that I fly), I don't think that if you adhered to this max limit, you would have gotten an overload, so it makes me lean towards the vibration induced fatigue on the bolt. Did the bolt shear right where the end of the tail hub where the bolt goes into the hub, or was it at point where the threads end up against the head? I wish I could be of more help. If you have pix of the tail hub and bolt, if you could post them, it might help identify the culprit.

There have been reports of this kind of failure on both Align 700s and Gaui X7s. This is the first I've read or heard about this happening on Logos. I wish you luck in getting it rebuilt and back into the air.
Lol, yes I know a heli won't heal itself. That would be cool though. It was something I unsuccessfully attempted to diagnose and resolve. I went over both my 600s many times and they were identical in every way that I could discern. The belt tension was identical. The reason I kept flying was because others verified they had heard a similar noise and had no ill effects from it, and continued to fly.

Your assumption proved to be correct though. After viewing the logs of the last flight the entire flight suffered from extreme vibration levels. This undoubtedly compromised the bolt and the rest is history. Learning experience. I never really look at my logs unless something electrically based goes wrong. If I would have looked sooner I would have seen the vibes and wouldn't have continued to fly.

I'll have it back together tomorrow hopefully and I'll test fly on Thursday. Hopefully I can get this sorted and after the rebuild the pinging and vibes will be gone.

Thanks for the help guys! Attached is a picture of the hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny31297 View Post
It was indeed the newer hub.

I fly @ 2200 headspeed. In doing research when I first got the 600 it seemed to be a general consensus that this was a great headspeed for 3D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hub.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	656963  
Old 06-13-2016, 05:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

What tail blades were you running?
Old 06-13-2016, 07:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cyclone 105s. Thinking of going back to the 95s possibly.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

105s are just fine
Old 06-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agreed, as long as you're running 105s from Fun-Key and don't exceed about 11,000rpm on the tail rotor continously, the hub shouldn't have problems staying together.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do you guys feel about headspeed? Is 2200rpm pushing it?
Old 06-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not at all, it is what I run...
Old 06-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
closed

do you mean what snapped was actually the bolt that holds the grip in place? if so, it usually happens when the bolt isn't entirely screwed in. any play at that point will strain the bolt and cause it to shear. also, a bent bolt head may cause a similar problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in