Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters > 600/600 PRO Aftermarket Upgrades and Mods

600/600 PRO Aftermarket Upgrades and Mods Align T-REX 600/600 PRO Aftermarket Upgrades and Mods Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2008, 04:32 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegerator View Post
BarnOwl - I actually think it will minimize the damage to the frame, as the aluminum will support the shock and prevent flexing of the carbon frames, which causes the breakage. In the event of a crash, the stock plastic frame flexes tremendously and provides no support to the carbon structure, which quickly causes the carbon to shatter. Carbon-fiber weave is very good in symetric and smooth loading, but is horrible in sudden shock-type impacts, which shatters the epoxy within the carbon lay-up and results in cracks and breakage. Of course, if you put it in hard enough, things could still break and that's why I wanted to offer a crash-replacement program. On the other hand, in my own experience and multiple hard crashes with the frame I've had installed for over a year, I've had no damage to the frames and electronics tucked inside for protection. Also, to prevent breaking the landing gear as well, you can use nylon screws in this design to secure the landing gear, which will shear off in the event of a crash and prevent further damage.

I hope this helps!
Sure, it looks as you worked it out pretty well. Thanks for the explanation....
makes sence.....

Anyway, as you know I ordered one, can't wait to use it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Also, I don't want HeliFreak.com to feel like I'm hijacking their website or promoting my products without returning the favor to the forum, so who should I contact concerning advertisement on this site? I want to be fair to this awesome forum and not take advantage of anything in announcing new developments in the future.
Congrats on the new business and hope it works out for you. The part looks high quality. My 450 could use one! If the extra weight is an issue for anyone they could lop off the front.

PM WillJames for your advertising needs.

Rick

Last edited by rdlohr; 05-17-2008 at 05:21 PM..
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice, I'll have to order one of these.

I was actually looking around town for some machine shops to machine a few prototypes of the bottom bracket. I noticed when I built the 600 that the nuts that go in the bottom bracket would push on the thin plastic wall and one of them actually broke through. Gotta be real careful not to overtighten those.

Was thinking an aluminum bracket would be much better. My biggest concern was interference with the radio equipment, but I figured they made aluminum frames, so it would prolly be ok.

Good luck on your new venture. =)
Megahertz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

Very nice and best wishes on your new venture !
meflyjeep is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the great comments. So far, the TREX 600 Aluminum Bottom Bracket has been a great success - preorders have been coming in and I'm looking forward to seeing these on flyer's birds at upcoming FunFlys over the summer. The first production run is a quantity of 100 clear-anodized frames and they are selling through very well, so if you need a frame get it ordered soon so you don't missed out. I'm hoping to start another production run towards the end of the month, which will be available end of June at the earliest.

The positive comments have been great on HeliFreak! I had sent the one prototype (no anodize, first off the CNC machine) I had on hand to my first customer who needed one ASAP for a personal project and here were his comments:

"It really help stiffen my Frame.. and feels alot more solid then with the Stock lower frame (little or no flex). I am really happy with the part and the workmanship is out of this world."

These types of comments are great encouragement and I'm also open to negative feedback (hopefully constructive criticism ) as well to continually make improvements for future projects.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the great comments. So far, the TREX 600 Aluminum Bottom Bracket has been a great success - preorders have been coming in and I'm looking forward to seeing these on flyer's birds at upcoming FunFlys over the summer. The first production run is a quantity of 100 clear-anodized frames and they are selling through very well, so if you need a frame get it ordered soon so you don't missed out. I'm hoping to start another production run towards the end of the month, which will be available end of June at the earliest.

The positive comments have been great on HeliFreak! I had sent the one prototype (no anodize, first off the CNC machine) I had on hand to my first customer who needed one ASAP for a personal project and here were his comments:

"It really help stiffen my Frame.. and feels alot more solid then with the Stock lower frame (little or no flex). I am really happy with the part and the workmanship is out of this world."

These types of comments are great encouragement and I'm also open to negative feedback (hopefully constructive criticism ) as well to continually make improvements for future projects.
I received the bottom bracket and its beautiful.

From a structural standpoint, I would like to make a suggestion. Align used 4 locating tabs and the 4 landing gear supports as locating tabs as well as six screws (14 points total to distribute the stresses transmitted by the landing gear to the frame). By eliminating the 4 locating tabs and with the large clearances of the 4 landing gear supports in your bottom plate design, all of the stress is now placed on the six bottom screws alone, with just the tiny cross-section of the screws to take the downforce of any mishap. If you could machine the next run with the 4 tabs intact and tighten the clearances around the landing gear supports, it would be perfect.
blueviewlaguna is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Blueviewlaguna,

This is a great design consideration and I'll look into incorporating that into future designs. With the aluminum taking the majority of the shock in a crash, I don't know if the 4 locating tabs are necessary (they are needed for the plastic frame, as the plastic would quickly crack around the screws and flex), but it's worth looking into to. Just as a reference, I've put my 600 in hard numerous times and I've never had to replace a frame, as the carbon is surprisingly strong around the screw mounts, but it's worth possibly incorporating the 4 tabs for even more strength. Thanks for the critique, I enjoy hearing both positive and negative critiques as it helps me make better designs for the future.

Apart from this, do you like the design? Any chance you could post an image of your TREX 600 when it's installed? I'd love to see the design incorporated into other HeliFreaks helis.

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 06-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So, these are shipping now, huh?

That would be great timing, as I just planted my 600 into Mother Earth this morning and need to start the rebuild.
DX7²
Discover Card
r40734 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 11:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, all preorders were shipped last Wednesday (5/28) and I have the remaining production in stock for same day/next day shipping (depending on time of order) via USPS Priority Domestic Mail. Sorry to hear about your 600 crash, but I can offer you the 30% discount for a frame as you donated to my 500 fire and I want to return the favor. If you're interested, simply send PayPal payment to sales@kdedirect.com for $62.97 and I'll get it shipped out to you ASAP for free (via USPS Priority Domestic Mail).
Old 06-02-2008, 01:15 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hey Blueviewlaguna,

This is a great design consideration and I'll look into incorporating that into future designs. With the aluminum taking the majority of the shock in a crash, I don't know if the 4 locating tabs are necessary (they are needed for the plastic frame, as the plastic would quickly crack around the screws and flex), but it's worth looking into to. Just as a reference, I've put my 600 in hard numerous times and I've never had to replace a frame, as the carbon is surprisingly strong around the screw mounts, but it's worth possibly incorporating the 4 tabs for even more strength. Thanks for the critique, I enjoy hearing both positive and negative critiques as it helps me make better designs for the future.

Apart from this, do you like the design? Any chance you could post an image of your TREX 600 when it's installed? I'd love to see the design incorporated into other HeliFreaks helis.

Thanks,
Patrick
Hi Patrick,

A+ on the rest of the design, I especially like how the center section has been opened up to save weight since the aluminum is so stiff that just making a copy of the Align design in that area would have just added extra weight - only an extra 30 grams is impressive.

I am building a 1912H/1Y 10S (3700 mah) 600 and plan to use this plate.
blueviewlaguna is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #31 (permalink)

Default Aluminum Bottom Bracket

This part works Great for what we are testing here.. here are a few pic's I have to post some better pic's later .( had to cover the name of my clients on the tail boom ) we are using Heli Freak Xtreme Frame from Rotoerworkz . so far this combo works really good.. will up date when we get more flight testing going..
kdedirect.com lower frame part so far is a really nice part and the work man ship is out of this world. we will be using more of his parts as we move forward with our project here..

now just wish I could find a Alum Forward Tail boom case ( boom attachment and where the Drive gear is ) to replace that stock plastic part.. its a week point to me .. here are a few pics ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	50051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	50052   Click image for larger version

Name:	minihornetairframe#2.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	50053   Click image for larger version

Name:	MiniHornetprototypeairframe (4).jpg
Views:	365
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	50054  
T45WingNut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't worry T45, I'm already working on it and have a few ideas in mind. With Aluminum or Magnesium, I think it's possible to make it MUCH stronger and possible lighter than the stock Plastic boom case on all Align helicopters. My goal is to figure out a way to be able to change the tail gear set without having to remove the tail boom base - that would be awesome! I hate all the steps and screws needed to replace the tail gear set and/or belt in the current design.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #33 (permalink)

Default Tail boom case

Yeah i been thinking about how it can be done my self.. I would love to do away with the Self taping screws for sure.. and use 3mm screw.. I have a few ideas just have to put them on paper and work it out..

we are heading out to the Trade show this week and will be flying our UAV's with the lower frame parts. wish us luck..
Old 06-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Absolutely! Good luck T45WingNut and please let me know how the Trade show went, I'm looking forward to hearing how the UAV program is going.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:26 AM   #35 (permalink)

Default Trade show

Kegerator

I will give you a update when we get back at the end of the week.. the show starts on the 10th and Runs threw the 15th..

Old 06-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking

Great News! The TREX 500 Aluminum Bottom Bracket design is almost out of production and will be shipping on July 2, 2008. The design is available for preorder on my website, so check it out (www.kdedirect.com). It is a direct retrofit for the flimsy, stock plastic frame and the quality is again the best available for HeliFreaks. I've attached a few images of the new design (the images are of a first prototype part from the CNC mill and have not been finished or anodized, Final production parts have a much cleaner finish and a clear anodize).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	51819   Click image for larger version

Name:	II.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	51820   Click image for larger version

Name:	III.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	51821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IV.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	51822   Click image for larger version

Name:	V.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	51823  

Old 06-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #37 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

SWEEEEEEET!

Rick
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check out Finless's video of the TREX 600E Aluminum Bottom Bracket install! Exciting stuff for the new company! Thanks a ton Bob - I truly appreciate the help!

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=79329
Old 06-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #39 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Just received my 600e bottom bracket and I must say it's a class piece of work! Pricey, but definitly seems worth it. This will definitely stiffen the bottom end of the chassis.
Wyldman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's great to hear, I'm glad you like the product. If you'd like, please attach images of the installed unit when you have time. I enjoy seeing the product installed in other people's helicopters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in