Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default which charger?

My Triton EQ wont charge my lipos anymore so its not worth sending out for repair. I only have an HK 500 and B400 that i fly. nothing 3D crazy still learning.Would like something a little better then the Triton. I dont have alot of time flying because of my buss. but like to fly every now and then. Thanks
PSV-1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=476431

If you want more feedback, you need to at least give a ballpark budget, how many packs you want to charge at once, of what cell count and size. And how fast you want to charge them, ideally.

Even a $30 50W charger can charge a pack for a 700. But it will do it very slowly, even for a single pack. But if you have loads of time and want to keep costs super-low, it can be a solution. Or you can spend $800 for a super-powerful setup.

The point being that any just about any charger can *work*, we need more info on what you are looking for it to do.

Sent using Tapatalk.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I own several chargers and my batteries go from 2S to 6S, 7S and 8S. Determining your future needs would be helpful in that there are only a few options if you will ever increase above 6S or want to dual charge. I use the Hyperion Duo, the icharger 4010 duo, an icharger 208 and a Hi Tech 4 channel. All of these require a DC converter. You can buy the 4 channel AC Hi Tech charger and it'll do a fine job on the small to mid size batteries without a converter. I like mine for my 2S and 3S packs.
Once your above that range, IMHO, I think an icharger 206 is a good choice if you don't need 7 or 8S abilities. The cool thing to me is that you can buy the exact modular boards for your battery type and have 20 amps to work with. Granted you can only charge one type of battery at a time, but at least you can charge 4 of the same size at a time. I believe this is the best bang for the buck. You could even buy 2 of them and be less than the cost of a duo charger.
Above this, I slightly prefer my icharger 401 Duo over my Hyperion Duo, but they are both good chargers. The dollars go up, and your specific needs will dictate a lot, which is what Red October is referring to.
Good luck.
Logo 800 // Logo 700 12S/14S// Logo 690 // Logo 400 // Mostro 700E's// Whiplash 700E// Gaui NX7 // Gaui NX4 // Gaui X4 // Gaui X3 //Goblin 570 // Trex 250 // TBS Discovery /Naza M2 // Jeti DS-16 // V Control // Jlog // BD3SX// VBar Neo// Lifetime AMA
guyguerra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyguerra View Post
I own several chargers and my batteries go from 2S to 6S, 7S and 8S. Determining your future needs would be helpful in that there are only a few options if you will ever increase above 6S or want to dual charge. I use the Hyperion Duo, the icharger 4010 duo, an icharger 208 and a Hi Tech 4 channel. All of these require a DC converter. You can buy the 4 channel AC Hi Tech charger and it'll do a fine job on the small to mid size batteries without a converter. I like mine for my 2S and 3S packs.
Once your above that range, IMHO, I think an icharger 206 is a good choice if you don't need 7 or 8S abilities. The cool thing to me is that you can buy the exact modular boards for your battery type and have 20 amps to work with. Granted you can only charge one type of battery at a time, but at least you can charge 4 of the same size at a time. I believe this is the best bang for the buck. You could even buy 2 of them and be less than the cost of a duo charger.
Above this, I slightly prefer my icharger 401 Duo over my Hyperion Duo, but they are both good chargers. The dollars go up, and your specific needs will dictate a lot, which is what Red October is referring to.
Good luck.
I was looking at the 206 as I dont want to wait all day to charge 4 or 5 packs.Right not I only have 3 cell packs.Im not ready to go into a 700 size heli yet as I dont fly enough. The 400 & 500 are plenty for me right now.I'm not even doing any 3D yet.
There ya have it , nothing crazy just mild. Thanks for replying hope this helped on what im looking for.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The 206B offers much more than the 106B+ (which I have), for 3S packs. You get 20A, vs 10A, without hitting the wattage limit. But once you go 6S, it's only offering 300W, vs 250W for the 106B+.

To my mind, if you're moving up in size, the 306B offers the bang/buck, and forward-looking, solution. 30A/750W, for $160, vs 20A/300W for $125. An extra $35 gets you something that's useful even up to a 700.

Remember that 300W is only 12A on 6S packs. So a 20A/300W 206B gets you 12A, not 20A, once you go to 6S, like for a 500. A 306B will give you 30A and 750W, on 6S.

The 306B also have 0.5A of balance amps, vs 0.3A for the 206B, so it balances faster. And it offers 80W of discharge, vs 20W. 80W is good for 3.1A discharges from 6S; 20W is only 0.8A. 0.8A would take ~1.5 hours to discharge a single 6S 2600.

If you do want a 206B, be aware that HobbyKing has apparently rebranded/cloned (I honestly just don't know which) the 206B, to a Turnigy Reaktor 300W. $65 for the Reaktor version, vs $125 for the 206B, if budget is a factor:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...e_Charger.html

They also sell a charger that's 2 of those in a single case, effectively a dual-channel charger, 2X300W. At $121, a heck of a deal, assuming the quality is good:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_charger.html
Old 11-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im ok with the 208 because i only have a 400w power supply. By the time Im ready for anything else it could be 2/3 yrs. down the road. Dont want to buy something I wont need soon. At least thats what im thinking.
I really dont want a clone just dont trust them..So I guess it will be the 208 that ill be looking for
Old 11-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the input, maybe ill take a ride up to Heli-Direct
Old 11-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

208B, or 206B? IIRC, the 208B is 350W max, up from 300W. It only has an 8S balance plug, so you need to use an adapter board/cable to plug in typical charging boards/cables.

I'm near HD as well. I've bought my chargers from ProgressiveRC, their support is excellent, and I think they do free shipping over $100. My orders have arrived quickly.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No matter what charger you get.. get parallel cables! (or paraboard).. nothing beats parallel charging. 1 to 6 packs at a time.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
No matter what charger you get.. get parallel cables! (or paraboard).. nothing beats parallel charging. 1 to 6 packs at a time.

Thanks, I def. will get a set
Old 11-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

All good advice above. I bought my icharger 4010 duo from amain.com and after 4 months one of the channels went bad. They warrantied it and shipped a new one to me. Great service! Progressive rc sells a killer modualar board set up which I really like, but the price is higher than the multi cable type. I have the 208 icharger as I also use 8S batteries. The 206 might be simpler for you. Redoctobyr has some great detail. A quality charger that fits your needs is a beautiful thing, as opposed to the wrong decision or cheaper unit with no support / warranty which will become costly down the road. Converters, chargers and batteries are an expensive part of this hobby.
Logo 800 // Logo 700 12S/14S// Logo 690 // Logo 400 // Mostro 700E's// Whiplash 700E// Gaui NX7 // Gaui NX4 // Gaui X4 // Gaui X3 //Goblin 570 // Trex 250 // TBS Discovery /Naza M2 // Jeti DS-16 // V Control // Jlog // BD3SX// VBar Neo// Lifetime AMA
guyguerra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you're looking at the 206 and 208, you may want to consider the new Casal chargers we picked up at www.onlyfinehelis.com. We have been trying to run them as hard as we can and they have performed great with no issues at all.

They are the easiest to use chargers that I have ever seen, but give you all the detailed battery information on the screen like the icharger duo's do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in