Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > JR Helicopters

JR Helicopters JR Forza, Vibe and Vigor Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice work G ... We just finished up my friends today , just need to setup radio now and its off to the field . I'm just waiting on engine and exhaust myself . Awesome build I must say . You have film Tareq when he flies your heli ... he can show the rest of the non believers that this heli can get down and dirty . Love his control .
Gary L is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is not a helicopter its a work of art that should be in a gallery or museum !!! Plus its not fair !! Love it bro, if it fly's half as good as it looks you are in for a treat !! P.S. do not crash as it would kill me!! Jason
Old 04-06-2009, 02:17 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks guys,

I'll make sure to video Tareq flying my SG when I finish it up... I've been busy this week. Need some more time...

Regards,
G
Old 04-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it lives through Tareq's flying then it will live through anybody's. He is the best right now. I cant wait to see a video of him flying the Vibe SG.
Byron Rotor Rage
onequick96gt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just started working on the SG again... I took a few days off to take care of other things...

I'm trying to do the wiring right now, and hopefully will break it in this weekend. I will post pics of the electronics layout once I'm done...

I'm almost afraid to let Tareq fly it after seeing what happened to his Turbulence in flight

Regards,
G
Old 04-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Update:

I finished installing the electronics... I had to hide my Multigov Pro because it was blue... can you see it?

What do you do when you are not happy with your messy wiring job? Cover it up

I used a bunch of black Velcro to cover up the the cutouts in the frame where my messy wires were... I kinda like the end result...

Here are the pics...

Regards,
G
Old 04-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgin4325 View Post
What do you do when you are not happy with your messy wiring job? Cover it up
Nah... I shorten the wires with new servo connectors. If you've got the right tool, it's really quick and easy. Looks great too to have all the wires running in one bundle with no buncjes here and there.
X9303
HELINHAWAII is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELINHAWAII View Post
Nah... I shorten the wires with new servo connectors. If you've got the right tool, it's really quick and easy. Looks great too to have all the wires running in one bundle with no buncjes here and there.

what tool do you use?
rsimon123086 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm almost afraid to let Tareq fly it after seeing what happened to his Turbulence in flight

Regards,
G
Why's that G ... Im sure the vibes boom supports can handle it . At least you will know what the heli can handle .
Gary L is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Lookin great G!
I'm with jesse, I like to shorten wires. Makes the heli real neat and clean and actually lighter if you think about it. Not much I know but its little bit.
Hulley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimon123086 View Post
what tool do you use?
You're looking for pin crimpers. The ratcheting type are great! These make your hands tired but will do as well. You'll also need the male connectors. Some places like Servo City sell packets of connectors with both male and female sets in each unit sold.

Once you get a few crimps under your belt, it comes easily... takes about a two minutes per servo or wire to get custom length wires.
X9303
Old 04-08-2009, 12:34 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks guys,

But I don't believe in shortening the wires, for two reasons:

First, I don't have the tools, skills, experience, and balls to do it

And second, I don't know what heli I'm gonna be using these electronics for in the near future once new stuff come out... I rather just leave them the way they are. They might end up going back to my Vibe 50 later if I upgrade anything... or even a new heli, so I want to make sure they fit... Plus, they were not that long anyway, it was just that you could see the wires between the frames, and I wanted to cover it up... If anything I'll do it on my Furion 450. That thing is driving me nuts... or even the Gaui 200...

Regards,
G
Old 04-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELINHAWAII View Post
You're looking for pin crimpers. The ratcheting type are great! These make your hands tired but will do as well. You'll also need the male connectors. Some places like Servo City sell packets of connectors with both male and female sets in each unit sold.

Once you get a few crimps under your belt, it comes easily... takes about a two minutes per servo or wire to get custom length wires.
Is there any soldering involved? I am horrible at it...

Question, can you also shorten the Spartan wires? Or only servos?

I'm kinda liking the idea now that I think about it... Do you have any tips for the first timers?

EDIT: I just found this: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...servo+crimping It looks great...
Old 04-08-2009, 02:51 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Is there any soldering involved? I am horrible at it...

Question, can you also shorten the Spartan wires? Or only servos?

I'm kinda liking the idea now that I think about it... Do you have any tips for the first timers?

EDIT: I just found this: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...servo+crimping It looks great...
You can always add a touch of solder where the actual copper wire gets crimped for a little extra security if you like. Totally not necessary though... a good crimp will actually fuse the copper to the connector.

Any wire that terminates with a servo plug can be shortened.

BTW... I really like all the red in your Vibe. My 700 almost all red aluminum, chrome and CF.

Tips: Practice one whole connector at least before you start shortening for real. Also, install all the electronics without bolting them in. Then run the wires where you want them to go. Finally, mark all the wires with a fine point marker where you wanna make the cut. I get pretty serious during a build and zip tie everything as if the wire bundle were already cut to length, then make my marks. Kinda follows the old adage, "measure twice, cut once". Be sure to cut 5-10mm ahead of you mark as the new connector slides into the servo plug a little. Also, you don't want things to be really tight on a nitro due to the vibrations.

One last tip... don't go the cheap route on tools, a good crimper shouldn't cost any more than $25-30 and will last you a long time. You'll be using this a LOT, trust me.

This is a good "how-to" linked from the page you linked above. It's almost exactly how I do mine. The only difference is where the article talks about making two separate crimps per pin. I let the tool crimp both at once as that's what it's made to do.

A good wiring job makes even the cheapest heli look tons better and making your own extensions will save a few bucks too. Why are extensions so expensive anyways???
X9303
Old 04-08-2009, 04:12 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks. I actually just got back from my LHS. They had the male connectors and I picked up 2 packs, 5 in each... But they did not have a crimping tool. Went to an electric shop next door and they had 2 types... I didnt know which one to get. So I came back home to go online and take a look at the one you recommended...

I think I'm really gonna do this, a bit nervous, but I'm gonna give it a try... Its not so important on my 90 or 50, but when it comes to little electric helis, this is great... Other thing is that its much easier to do it now when nothing is actually connected than later when I have the heli flying...

I've also been searching here and on the otheRR forum, and there is a ton of info on this...

Thanks for mentioning it.

Should I use the gold or silver pins? Whats the difference?

Regards,
G

Last edited by Gorgin4325; 04-08-2009 at 07:34 AM..
Gorgin4325 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Update:

I found all the tools I need to shorten the wires... and I just did a few practice tests... Messed up 2, but the third one came out perfect. But on the 4th one, I had a problem getting the pins to line up together... So I guess I have to put all 3 pins on the stripped wires first, tighten them a little with a set of pliers, then place it in the crimping tool and crimp them... I will go try one more before I measure the actual servo and gyro wires and do it on the real thing...

So far it seems easier than I thought... But I already went through a pack of servo connectors just to practice...

Regards,
G
Old 04-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Each slot on your cripmer should be just a little larger than the next. The pins are all the same size but the wire guage determines which slot you should use. Find the smallest slot and crimp one at a time. Otherwise you'll end up with one, maybe two that will be too loose on the wire. Once you get all three done, then insert into the servo plug.

Yeah, a little practice and you'll have it. It pay dividends when you get it figured out!
X9303
Old 04-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My crimper has only 2 slots. It identical to the delux one in Chris' article. I got the crimping part down. I was just battling to get the 3 pins to be the same length after I crimped them... But with a little patience, all done nicely now. Its midnight here now. I will try on the real thing tomorrow...

I'm so glad you got me into this...

Thanks a lot.
G

p.s. all the velcro is off the heli now
Old 04-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey gorgin
You wouldnt happen to have one of the previous vibe 90s around would you? I just purchased one of the previous 90s and was wanting to see how hard it would be to adapt the SG canopy to it. If they are similar in size/width I could just glass over the holes and remount it to fit the new mounting posts. If you do I would appreciate the look, if nothing else could you just give me the demensions like width and height.

Thanks Robert
rsimon123086 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 12:31 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimon123086 View Post
Hey gorgin
You wouldnt happen to have one of the previous vibe 90s around would you? I just purchased one of the previous 90s and was wanting to see how hard it would be to adapt the SG canopy to it. If they are similar in size/width I could just glass over the holes and remount it to fit the new mounting posts. If you do I would appreciate the look, if nothing else could you just give me the demensions like width and height.

Thanks Robert
Hi Rob,

No, I don't have one. But from looking at the old Vibe 90, and the SG canopy, I think the tank up front is too wide for the SG canopy... This is just a guess...

Regards,
G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in