Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Quest and Kyosho

Quest and Kyosho Kyosho Caliber, Kyosho Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Setting up a nexus 30 with a dx6i

I have a friend that has a nexus 30 & doesent really know how to set up a heli. I think I have found a couple of problems. 1. Main blades are not ballanced 2. Blade grips on up side down ( the nuts are on top ) 3. His gryo is mounted over the batteries 4. Swash plate not leveled (i dont know how to level it ). He added a dx6i & im not sure if his settings are correct. He's not into 3d & only likes to fly scale . What would be good settings for him to try? If some one could list all the settings with values it would make my job soo much easier because im still learning the dx6i my self. I have a b450 that I can crash pretty well but I still have trouble setting up my owen dx6i.
jonesb450 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

no takers on this one? Are kyosho helis that unpopular now?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am by no means a pro on setting up a heli, but I just went through this on my Nexus and was also struggling to get feedback so I thought I would give you a few pointers.

Balancing blades is pretty easy and very important to do with wood blades this size. I would also recommend balancing the tail blades in similar fashion. Check out the the finless tech forum for a video on how it's done if you are not familiar. I put some new blade grips on mine and for whatever reason the bolt holes were backwards as you mentioned. Just make sure they are leading edge control as in the manual and I stuck the bolt in the normal way no prob. The gyro should be in the back on the shelf under the boom block, I wouldn't put it anywhere else unless you have good reason to. Set up your linkages and servo horns per the manual and your swash will be pretty close to level. I used a ziptie as a leveler and fine tuned it from there with a combo of slightly changing linkage lengths and subtrim. I also went though one servo at a time and adjusted travel endpoints to make sure I had full mechanical throw top and bottom. Use a pitch gauge to set the pitch were you want it (suggestions in the manual and sup) and adjust the pitch links to get it equal on each blade. You will likely need to revisit those when you spool it up to get the tracking dialed.

The manual and the supplement are around for download if you search and very much worth looking over. The supplement will give you most of what you need to set up your Tx among other things. One point of contention I have with it in hindsight is that, unless I read it wrong, they want you to hover at midstick and half throttle. If he flies scale than mid stick will work out well, but half throttle nets far too low a head speed imo. I was not able to measure it but even with full travel on the cyclic it was incredibly lazy to respond, almost dangerously so.

This bird is certainly not a popular one to fly anymore. Mostly because parts are hard to find (check out tailwinz for those) and it is a pretty poor performer compared to a modern bird. Mine is far from dialed, but I was pretty shocked at how horrible it was in the air compared to what else I fly. Certainly a fun project getting it airborne, but NOT something I plan to do often.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions...
Old 12-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I have the build manual for it but it didnt say how to level the swash so I wanted some input on that. I have a couple helis & have the basic skills to wrk on them & wanted to make sure I was goin in the right direction before I start moving stuff. My friend only plans on doing basic flight with it & is more into planes. He got the heli from a guy that owed him $ so thats the only reason he has it. I tried to talk him into a newer heli but he wasent interested. Once I see how well he can fly I just might let him fly one of my helis so he can see the diffrence between old & new.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have my Nexus 30 bound to my DX8 and flying well scale/sport, if i get time tomorrow I'll pull the settings and post them for ya. Most of it should swap strait over to the DX6i.
Kyosho Nexus 30 - "Damn I can't believe I learned on something like this........
J-son600 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

As far as leveling the swash goes, start by getting your servo horns at perfect 90's. First mechanically then with subtrim. Next, verify all linkage lengths and lever geometry is correct per the manual. Finally, level the swash with slight adjustments to linkage length (and possibly more subtrim). I pulled all the upper linkages and used a ziptie for this (see video below).

There are PDF's here of the manual and supplement in this thread. Both are extremely helpful in setting one of these up.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im not contradicting to be difficult, but the gyro on the batteries is fine. One nexus has been set up that way for the past 16 years. I have two flying Nexus and 3 other full kits that are just for parts.
Im flying them with a jrx650 tx. That radio doesn't even do ccpm (18 year old tx).
The nexus is no 3D machine. It does fly inverted beautifully and it piros awesome. Almost feels like it has piro comp and FBL.
I got tired of those weird 530mm wood blades like ten years ago. I run stretched boom swinging 550's. Ive also flown with a .46 and 600's.
ThrillaGorilla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in