Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure why people are so for or so against this radio, seems to stir up a lot of emotions in people. Sometimes people are just weird ya know. I think the Aurora breaks some radio barriers with its technology and programming. The radio industry needed this kick in the pants.

Why is there so much controversy on a radio that actually seems pretty decent?Too often people cut down other cool stuff to justify there own past purchases. Hearing something wrong about it makes them feel better. If this radio had a Spektrum or JR logo on it would things be different?
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Bob,

I am new to heli's and will try to set up my TRex 450 clone on it. I hope to be able to learn a lot from you. Thanks for taking the trouble to teach us noobs.

chewy
chewytm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadamz@mac.com View Post
Not sure why people are so for or so against this radio, seems to stir up a lot of emotions in people. Sometimes people are just weird ya know. I think the Aurora breaks some radio barriers with its technology and programming. The radio industry needed this kick in the pants.

Why is there so much controversy on a radio that actually seems pretty decent?Too often people cut down other cool stuff to justify there own past purchases. Hearing something wrong about it makes them feel better. If this radio had a Spektrum or JR logo on it would things be different?
over the years I have not found to many Hitec fans around the feilds i have belonged to for whatever reason, I only wish hitec came out with it 3 years ago, but we have heard some reports of the touch screen going out, thats No good. one guy said they had it a month to fix it he used 8 times and went back out on him now he w/o again that's no good. Doesn't matter who logo is on it.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I set up my A9 with my 450 pro, K3D, and 3DPlus with no issues. I like the programming, very simple to do. All I did different from the default menu driven setups was assign adjacent channels for the cyclic servos.

Setting up throttle hold as a flight condition had me scratching my head for a little bit, but got it working.

I am a 3D wannabe, but the A9 has been every bit as reliable as flys the same as my JR X9303 (except for the timers, programming, assignable switches, etc).

I can't wait to see what I'm missing as far a programming goes (there is alot of stuff going on with this radio), I am sure I will continue to learn alot from your videos.
RotorHeadKen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob, for what it's worth, I appreciate what you do and can't imagine how many hours you put into the quality videos that you make.

And I agree 100% with your statement about the politics surounding this radio. I purchased one about 6 weeks ago, and have had really good success with mine.
It just blows my mind, how many people go out of there way to stir the pot... It is so much so, that it becomes hard to make informed decisions about purchases and so on.

I know there are a lot of fanatical RCer's out there, but I don't think I have ever seen it to this degree?

In the end, the features of the radio and my past experince with Hitec service is what sold me.

I look forward to watching the videos... Keep up the good work
ericm7030 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob thank you for taking your time to do the videos!

I upgraded to A9 from DX7 the first day it came out. I absolutely enjoy flying with my A9 and the simplicity of the programming menu. The back-light, touchscreen and affordable price got me sold!

My latest flight on the 700E with the A9:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZc6KvJfT_4[/ame]

Last edited by Finless; 06-23-2010 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Fixed Youtube link
speedys4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I fixed your youtube link so it shows the video rather than just the link.

Thanks for sharing!

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bob don't let the controversy surounding this radio get you down! I get the same attitude from people everytime I go to the field. I don't get it, it was my money that I spent on it, not theirs. Since the firmware is user updateable, it's going to be tough to report on all of it's features, as this can be constantly changing, but report on what they sent you( I would assume you have one with the latest firmware) and how to use and setup the basic system. Currently I'm setting up my first heli on this radio and having a hard time getting a proper rudder signal to my spartan 760. so some clarification here will definately help.(see page 44 in the book, step 27 for Gyro setup, Where they tell you to go to page 84 for a "complete" description of the aurora heli gyro functionality and see the source of my frustration) The throttle and pitch curve settings can also have you scratching your head at first, but is easier to get through with a little thought. and as was said before, users may have dificulties setting up the throttle hold function also.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:08 AM   #29 (permalink)
wot

There is ONLY one thing that puts me off getting one at that is the wire from back of TX to the Areial.
Looks like a upgrade rather than a new radio.I know the reasons behind it but me,it dont look right.Other than that it seems to be feature packed and good price.
wot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 03:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wot: That wire is not an issue: If you don't like it you can internally lead the wire.

Bob:

I really like the fact that someone is using it to make a good video review. I have been using it since april.

Just keep them coming. I really like the fact you can see the pack voltage on screen: You just need to fix your leads to the spc channel on the tx to get there!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #31 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Internally lead the wire? How? I wouldnt mind doing that.

As for reading the RX pack voltage it works for me using either power to the batt connector with the jumper plug in SPC, or supplying power to the SPC connector directly.

Also I figured out how to get into Service mode. I figured there had to be a service mode so I played around and figured out how to get in. SCARY menus in there for sure (like Eprom reset and what not) but screen calibration and stick calibration are available. I will ask Hitec if I can share that info or not for maybe a later video.

Bob
Old 06-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

The service menu info is already on the RCG thread. Or at least how to get into it. There isn't much info on how to use it though. Any info on that would be greatly appreciated.

chewy
chewytm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wire inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post

As for reading the RX pack voltage it works for me using either power to the batt connector with the jumper plug in SPC, or supplying power to the SPC connector directly.

Also I figured out how to get into Service mode. I figured there had to be a service mode so I played around and figured out how to get in. SCARY menus in there for sure (like Eprom reset and what not) but screen calibration and stick calibration are available. I will ask Hitec if I can share that info or not for maybe a later video.

Bob
Bob this may help it show how to do the wire inside
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4188
tomrinkevich is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Finless I hope you don't mind me sharing a few photos of what I'm using my Aurora 9 in.

I'm thankful to you that you make these videos they where a big help when setting up my Knight 600E and Trex 450.

I even learned a few things in one of the Aurora 9 videos and hope to learn more about it in future videos.

I got the Aurora 9 in march when I started getting the gear I needed for the 600 and most say I haven't looked back.

I use the SPC port on both the Knight and Trex I love that I can now monitor the main pack voltage right from the radio screen. The telemetry is one of the features I bought the Aurora 9 for.

P.S. I decided on getting a Knight after watching your videos on it and look forward to more videos of the Aurora 9. I hope you can get a telemetry kit from Hitec when they have them ready as well to review.

Knight 600E

Trex 450
Still working on the wiring.

Radio with Lipo

eternaldragon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Bob
The service menu was shared on RCG and LOTS of people screwed up their radios messing with the stick calibration.
Fierce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce View Post
The service menu was shared on RCG and LOTS of people screwed up their radios messing with the stick calibration.
I think thats why Bob said he would check with the manufacturer, If he said it was scary I'll take his word for it !
Old 06-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Thumbs up Hitec Aurora 9 review

I will be glad to compare Bob Finless' impressions/and or/hints on this one with mine.

I have been a user of this radio for 2 months now and all my machines are programmed on the unit.

As already said, very good grip once the unit is on hands and the menu and ease to use is second to none. Got this one after my Futaba T12 seemed to refuse to work properly and so far I would not change it.

Eduardo
Old 06-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #38 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Four more videos posted! They are in the list of the first post.

Enjoy....

Bob
Old 06-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Link fails for "Pro's and Con's of Scan mode..."

Thank you very much for your videos! They are really enlightening, and sometimes a bit funny too. Hearing you say "I wish I had some fingernails" after watching your "male grooming" video... You cut them too short.
Medi8or is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep I got the same thing "File does not exist please contact the systems administrator" all others downloaded fine for me.
eternaldragon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in