Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems

Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question First FBL setup…what a cluster f!

Let me start by prefficing that I don't qualify myself as being mentally challenged. Typically, I have no problems with heli stuff, gadgets, etc. I have been following all of the steps and rules very slowly and diligently until today.

Lets just get this out of the way. I am doing a Syunergy N5 (very smooth) with a Tarot ZYX-S. I do realize that the gyro/heli combo for a first go at FBL, is not ideal, but it is what it is. Got a good deal on the controller…..yadda, yadda.

Redid all of the mechanics down to each part and are 100% spec. When I started electronic setup, all was well. Got through to the "swash travel" tab on the software from fbl.net.nz. All is good. Servos all 90, going in the right direction, a bit of binding, but that works out in the next step. So, I decided to take a break. Saved setup file, "force updated", closed everything up, and powered dow.

When I came back, fired everything back up, I got all 3 lights on steady and no swash servo movement. I do have my throttle servo working and have solid orange lights from AR8000 and the sat. The lights indicate no com between Rx and Gyro. Ok……rebound not connected to the gyro. Plugged back together, heard power in the swash servos from my semi-loud servos. Still no controls.

Read a number of threads to no avail.

Reaching out here a bit. It's driving me nuts.

Thoughts, questions, miracles allowed!!
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: First FBL setup…what a cluster f!

Have you looked through the fbl section? There is afix for just about every xyz/xyz-s problem on there.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=485789

sent from my phone using circus midgets
Old 07-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

What receiver type did you have selected in the "installation" tab in the set up menu before you hit force update and shut down?
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

and did you force update the firmware or the config file? Most people use that term to refer to having to force a new or older version of the firmware into the unit when an update went badly.
If thats the case redownload the correct firmware. Theres a difference between zyx and zyx-s and the newer firmware ( I dont recall the name ) and re-force update it with Johns program.
Himilou is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a zyx-s messed with it for a little while then got an ar7200bx so much easier on setup.
JWILL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

And this is exactly why I was so tentative to go FBL. I finally got it talking with the rx, fbl, software. This whole "Condition 1" and "Condition 2" crap. I copied it from 1 to 2 and they still show them not being the same. This is after the "Copy Successful" prompt. The swash doesn't stay level when I tilt it around. It is going in the correct direction (tries to stay level), but never compensates enough to stay all the way level. I am just completely skeptical. I wish that I would have done my 450 first. Would rather crash that than my 600. Damn it!

Add:

And Windows can just go away, as far as I am concerned. All this driver crap!…….installed, not installed properly, deleted, reinstalled, works, doesn't work…long live Mac OS X…dude, I am glad that it got dark. I was about to toss, heli, laptop, and all into the driveway.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ZYX? I've heard of them.. never seen one. For your first FBL experience.. I'd stick with the big names that most people fly.. like vbar, skookum, beastx, iKon. I can't tell you how easy the Sk540 was to set up.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I get that I should use the big name stuff. There are thousands of the ZYX working just fine. Thanks for the input, but it is what it is.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory r View Post
The swash doesn't stay level when I tilt it around. It is going in the correct direction (tries to stay level), but never compensates enough to stay all the way level. I am just completely skeptical. I wish that I would have done my 450 first. Would rather crash that than my 600. Damn it!
On the bench the fbl will will not make the swash completely level,as long as it is correcting in the proper direction you should be good.Do not forget to double check the tail as well..
It sounds like you are close..I have set up quite a few different brand units and they all require an initial learning curve..
Stick with it ..Good luck..
Old 07-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is the deal with the Condition 1/2 stuff. It would be nice to switch from "mild 3D" to "Extreme" mid-flight. I want to get them both the same, so I don't switch them on accident. The "Copy" option will not work, either. I just don't trust this thing.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Yes, I get that I should use the big name stuff. There are thousands of the ZYX working just fine. (After how much messing around?) Thanks for the input, but it is what it is.
Slyster is right. The "name brand" are far more user friendly. I have never seen a pro/sponsored pilot using a ZYX unit. I think there is a reason for that.

VCONTROL*NEO*TRIBUNUS*MKS*VTX*DPL8 W/BUMP CONTROL*MEANWELL
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes, I get that I should use the big name stuff. There are thousands of the ZYX working just fine. Thanks for the input, but it is what it is.
Good luck with yours. I had three of them and tried the same route. All three went in the trash. What got me is that it started out great, then nothing but issues after that.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
What is the deal with the Condition 1/2 stuff. It would be nice to switch from "mild 3D" to "Extreme" mid-flight. I want to get them both the same, so I don't switch them on accident. The "Copy" option will not work, either. I just don't trust this thing.
I don't think you can mid flight, reqires pressing the button on zyx. Also for the most part mild extreme are really just exponential settings. Best controlled from your radio.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Btw I switched to robird from zyx after multiple issues and unexplained behavior. Haven't looked back either you can search for my zyx issues in the fbl section here.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The zyx will work just fine, and is as easy to set up as a VBar (yes I've done both and more). Don't listen to the brand name fanboys. There are more than 10,000 zyx in the air today and few have any out of the ordinary trouble.

Re your specific problems... Copying Conditions is a bit buggy. Best way to do it is to hit the copy button, then save a settings file, then load that settings file. Don't get discouraged, it'll all click soon enough.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Don't listen to the brand name fanboys.
I don't consider myself a fanboy, I use what works. As I previously said, I started that route and two looked good at first and then crapped out on me. The third one I got from a friend would not connect to the computer. I gave up on them after that!
Old 07-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette & Copter Guy View Post
Slyster is right. The "name brand" are far more user friendly. I have never seen a pro/sponsored pilot using a ZYX unit. I think there is a reason for that.
the tarot IS a name brand. the brand is TAROT.

its not a clone of anything else.

and my two work fine and were not that difficult to set-up. you just work through the menus. you have to do that with any fbl unit
Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm sure if I ave a pro a ZYX and some $$$$ they would use and PROMOTE it.

OP keeping trying as there are tons of experience with the unit and folks here should be able to get you sorted.

Daddy
^^^^^^^
ZYX Fanboy
AXN FPV
Daddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Honestly, I think that I just hate Windows. After I did about 2 hours worth of service packs, updates, drivers, hamster wheels, and standing on one leg, it ended up working. I was using my only PC, which is a freshly booted laptop. Why people don't automatically write their software in Mac OS, I have no clue. It is only like 5.6 MB of info. What am I thinking?! Please don't start a PC v Mac debate!

Anyway, I need to go through one more time and fly it. Still having a very difficult time trusting this little Chinese box of diodes and its ability to keep my 600 a float.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
ZYX? I've heard of them.. never seen one. For your first FBL experience.. I'd stick with the big names that most people fly.. like vbar, skookum, beastx, iKon. I can't tell you how easy the Sk540 was to set up.
My ZYX was my first FBL. The setup was fine, IMHO.

There is some irony in suggesting the big names, when the Brain/iKon (MSH's first FBL) came out last summer, and the ZYX has been around longer

Don't get me wrong, I'd really like to try an iKon, I've heard a lot of good things about them. But your controller doesn't have to be from one of the "Big 4" to be good. And $225 for an iKon is quite a bit more than a $50 ZYX/ZYX-S, for people shopping on a budget.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Robird G31, as well. Under $100, you can do the setup on the PC (my preferred method, vs just lights & sticks, like BeastX), and it has a governor and vibration analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 755 robert View Post
On the bench the fbl will will not make the swash completely level,as long as it is correcting in the proper direction you should be good.Do not forget to double check the tail as well..
+1. Unlike things the mCP X, the swash behaves differently on a "real" FBL (Skookum, BeastX, ZYX, whatever). From units I've seen, the swash will tilt to stay level with the floor when you quickly tilt the heli, but then it will slowly return to perpendicular to the main shaft.

The cyclic/swashplate seems to be treated kind of like a hybrid of Rate and Heading Hold mode, if you think of it like the tail. If you test it with the motor off, the swash won't simply stay tilted forever, waiting for you to tilt the heli level again. Whereas on the mCP X, if you spool up and then tilt the heli forward, it will tilt the swash back, and keep it there indefinitely, until you tilt the heli level again.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in