Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > NextD - Rave 450 and 90

NextD - Rave 450 and 90 CJY Rave 450 and 90 Helicopter Kit - ND-YR-K001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Who would be in for a Ballistic 500-550?

So I'm on the hunt for a heli swinging 500-550 sized blades at the moment, and I'm not really inspired by the choices. They're mostly heavy beasts these days. Which got me wondering. If Curtis was to come out with a Ballistic 500 or similar would anyone be interested in it?

Personally if it would run on 6s 4000mah, and basically be a scaled down Ballistic in flight performance I'd be all over one.

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same?

I know it wont happen, I think Curtis has got bored with Helis, and probably the stingray, as I've had no response to emails or FB messages sent to them about UK stock issues, but it's something I was musing over...
PeteStewardson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love my Raves, I have 5!

The only way I would even consider ANY Curtis product is if there was some guarantee only the supply chain

Curtis is without doubt a smart, decent guy but changing the distribution was a poor choice
BrianSkilton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oh I'd agree with you. Distribution in the UK is awful.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can say with all honesty, with the old distributor I never had an issue getting spares, that was the time when you used to walk a flight line and nearly every set of blades were Radix I can not remember the last time I have seen a set of them

The lack of blade sales alone must hurt
Old 01-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very true. Which is disappointing knowing how good the Radix blades, and the Rave helis are.

I really wanted to get a Rave 450 again, but the lack of spares made me walk away.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 450 is a nice little machine, had service been better in the uk, I would have converted it to flybarless

Shame the tail gears were never developed further
Old 01-13-2015, 03:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought one when fasted were selling them off, but then I couldn't get hold of the frame stiffener kit and other spares kept being removed. I decided to sell it but that wasn't working. Then I got the chance to trade it at a retailer that had a customer wanting one so swapped the kit for a 450L, which was easier to sell.

Shame really as it's such a great heli. But lack of support drove it out. Even CYE don't seem to be that fussed about Helis these days so its hardly a surprise the distributer isn't fussed either.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It looks like the parts for the 450 are still availlable on the CYH has website.

I really like the 550 size. It would have to be light.

I already have a Logo 550 size. (500SE now called 550SE)
Old 01-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Build a light rave Balistic 635. That is going to be one of my winter projects. With a Pyro 700 45 motor and Kontronik 120 HV and use the internal BEC. Should keep my weight down. Use 6S 4400 mah or 3300 mah batteries. I really like the 600 size.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run my Ballistic 700 on 12s 4000 to keep the weight down, it's only 3.4KG minus flight packs so a very light 700. That's with a Sorpion HK3 4035 motor and Kontronik 120HV and a small buffer pack in case of BEC failure. It doesn't get much lighter as a 600 though.

It'd be great to have a slightly smaller version of the head etc and run as a light 500-550mm with one 6s 4000 pack. That would be awesome. Same layout with slide in battery tray etc, just scaled down a touch.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice thing about the 550 idea is the bearing blocks/frame spacing would stay the same so it could still hold a 5000mah 6s pack. Help on development cost and be a good synergy for pack sharing with the 700 and 635.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

It'd be nice to keep the same spacing, but something would need to reduce in size to save a lot of weight to make it work well. Although the head could be made smaller, thinner main shaft and then just different bearings in the bearing blocks. Keep the gears the same, same diameter boom, so the same parts there. Different frames and canopy to reduce size, might keep the weight not too bad.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Synergy has done that. There e5 to n7 share many parts such as the head, tail box, and much of the more expensive things to develop. Save the manufacture a ton so it can be passed into improvements and the next heli.
Boinker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2015, 03:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the 700 sized head would be way too large for a 500. Could be an interesting experiment to try though
Old 01-27-2016, 10:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

A 550 would be a huge update to the Rave line. Show people the brand is progressing. A scaled down 700 but with triple main shaft bearings. Smaller and lighter. Able to use one or two battery packs like the present design.

Last edited by Freeskiken; 01-29-2016 at 07:38 AM..
Freeskiken is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in