Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First Good Charger!

Ok guys Im looking for some tips on a good starter charger! I was looking at some of the combos on ProgressiveRC.. Are the combos good for starters? I have a 450 and would like to be able to charge 6s batteries in the future! I also have been wanting to get a good charger because right now I just have Aligns regular balance charger.. Ive seen that you can charge multiple batteries at once.. Any tips Helps!

Thank you

-Kyle
_Kyle_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Whats your budget?
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Look up above your post to the sticky

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=476431
Old 01-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashNburn420 View Post
Whats your budget?
I would like under 250$ will go to 300 if big difference
Old 01-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was happy with a Hitec quad 50 watt charger until I got my first 12s heli. When I realized it was looking at 2+ hour charge times, I went shopping.

I got a 1000w Meanwell power supply and Powerlab 8 charger from Progressive RC, and parallel charged 6s packs for my 12s T-Rex 600. After a year or so, my packs started to degrade, and charge times went up (due to parallel balancing mismatched cells). Parallel charging is great until the packs degrade; if they get sufficiently mismatched, charging takes forever at best, and catches fire at worst. ;-)

I was considering getting a second Powerlab 8 around the time the iCharger 4010duo came out. I got that, and I'm very happy with it. I can keep an eye on cell IR (all fits on the screen at once), and I don't have to parallel charge my big 6s packs. I initially intended to sell the Powerlab 8, but it's nice to have a 3rd high-power charging channel. I run both chargers in parallel from the same 1000w Meanwell supply, and I've never seen any smoke. We do have AC power at my club's field though ;-)

High wattage chargers pretty much require a separate power supply. Not cheap, but I'm certainly happy with my rig. You can get it somewhat on the cheap if you get a pair of 12v computer server power supplies wired in series for 24V. Note that high wattage chargers require a 24V or higher supply voltage - they will run on 12V but not at full power.

My setup is not fancy-mounted in a case (nice as that would be). I have a $25 harbor freight case that works great, with the 2 chargers wrapped in towels. I just unload the case onto a table at the field (we have a great field with AC power and benches in Round Rock, TX)

Bonus suggestion: I highly recommend logging your charges (including mAH in, charge time, and IR). I use an iPhone app called LipoLog, and I have records going back 2 years. In addition to keeping records of the condition of my expensive Lipos, I know exactly how many flights I have on my big helis.

Cheers,
John
Old 01-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagalactic View Post
I was happy with a Hitec quad 50 watt charger until I got my first 12s heli. When I realized it was looking at 2+ hour charge times, I went shopping.

I got a 1000w Meanwell power supply and Powerlab 8 charger from Progressive RC, and parallel charged 6s packs for my 12s T-Rex 600. After a year or so, my packs started to degrade, and charge times went up (due to parallel balancing mismatched cells). Parallel charging is great until the packs degrade; if they get sufficiently mismatched, charging takes forever at best, and catches fire at worst. ;-)

I was considering getting a second Powerlab 8 around the time the iCharger 4010duo came out. I got that, and I'm very happy with it. I can keep an eye on cell IR (all fits on the screen at once), and I don't have to parallel charge my big 6s packs. I initially intended to sell the Powerlab 8, but it's nice to have a 3rd high-power charging channel. I run both chargers in parallel from the same 1000w Meanwell supply, and I've never seen any smoke. We do have AC power at my club's field though ;-)

High wattage chargers pretty much require a separate power supply. Not cheap, but I'm certainly happy with my rig. You can get it somewhat on the cheap if you get a pair of 12v computer server power supplies wired in series for 24V. Note that high wattage chargers require a 24V or higher supply voltage - they will run on 12V but not at full power.

My setup is not fancy-mounted in a case (nice as that would be). I have a $25 harbor freight case that works great, with the 2 chargers wrapped in towels. I just unload the case onto a table at the field (we have a great field with AC power and benches in Round Rock, TX)

Bonus suggestion: I highly recommend logging your charges (including mAH in, charge time, and IR). I use an iPhone app called LipoLog, and I have records going back 2 years. In addition to keeping records of the condition of my expensive Lipos, I know exactly how many flights I have on my big helis.

Cheers,
John
Ok thanks for the help! Very detailed!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

A powerlab 6 and an server powersupply woud come in close around $300 and allow future expansion. Also might want to check out the icharger 308duo, but it will put you over 300 with power supply
HeliSoCal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run the HiTec X4, which is capable of 12VDC or 120VAC input. I think I paid $220 for it. This was my second charger and wish I bought it sooner since I was using my triton, which only charges one at a time. After a few flights, I was always waiting to fly due to the lack of charged batteries. You are better off spending a little more money to get a good one rather than getting one cheap. The biggest pack i have so far is 2200mah, and no issues with it yet.
Stikman26 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 02:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have an iCharger 3010B. Does upto 10S on the charger itself, but limited to 6S with the Paraboards. I have yet to tap into the data bank that the 3010B has to offer. There is so much stuff in those chargers, it is not even funny! But, that is a good thing!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kyle_ View Post
Ok guys Im looking for some tips on a good starter charger! I was looking at some of the combos on ProgressiveRC.. Are the combos good for starters? I have a 450 and would like to be able to charge 6s batteries in the future! I also have been wanting to get a good charger because right now I just have Aligns regular balance charger.. Ive seen that you can charge multiple batteries at once.. Any tips Helps!

Thank you

-Kyle
a PL-6 will do up to 6s a PL-8 will do up to 8s (PL=PowerLabs)

if you dont think your ever going to ago above a 6s battery the PL-6 will do you fine
if you can swing the extra get the PL-8 and your set reguardless

A good server supply will do it. 12v 60+ amps or 24v 50+ amps

This is my newest power supply solution
24v 75a, with 12v, usb and cig adapter (bad weather and I needed something to do)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-02 19.30.14.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	484169  
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another vote for the PL8 or PL6.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Raised Budget.

I have raised my budget because I think I will be in this hobby a while.. And I want to get into bigger helis.. (500+) I was wondering if the "Hardline Home Solution" is a good choice. (ProggressiveRC) As it comes in a case and it would be easy to bring to the field.. 600$ Is my MAX budget.. I was also looking at the Dynamo.. A little more expensive but better and no case.. Yalls opinion? Man this hobby is adding up the $$$...
Old 02-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I haven't looked up those particular combos, but I've look at PRC's combos before.

It depends on your priorities. I bought a 308Duo for $270. I bought a TDK Lambda 1500W 24V supply for ~$140 on eBay ($1300 new, very similar to a Meanwell; see the 308Duo thread for more info). Two V3 Safe Paraboards from BuddyRC for $26 each.

$462 for 2-channels, 30A+30A, 1300W of charging. I could have saved some by using my existing DIY server supplies (cost me $40-50) for now.

No case, but I'm going to make something myself.

I don't know what's included in the combos you looked at, but you may not need a case at all. Or if you're up for some DIY, you can make your own case. And potentially save some significant $ over a combo.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in