Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FMA Cellpro PowerLab-8. Parallel charging .??

I am looking for the charger to charge two 6S LiPo batteries as a single 12S battery in order to balance each cell equally.
For the last 2-3 years I have been using FMA Cellpro 10S charger for 2x5S=10S batteries, but now I am moving toward 12S and I am looking for a single charger with 12S capability.
I contacted FMA with my question and they recommended to use FMA Cellpro PowerLab-8 and charge two 6S packs in parallel.

QUESTION: WIll be the balansing in such parallel configuration performed well on every cell from every battery?

Thank you.
AK.
akouzmit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here is my article if you would like to read it.
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...allel-charging
Stuff: Spektrum DX7 - iCharger 208B - Hyperion G3
TJinGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJinGuy View Post
Thank you very much for very informative site.
akouzmit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great write up THANKS
Gernejr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJinGuy View Post

I came to this forum to see if I could parallel charge packs with same cell count but different capacity.

Peace
Old 11-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow Tjinguy, great write up!!

I'm looking to get the FMA Power 8 also but am a little unclear about power supply requirements to take advantage of its power. I am interested in charging two 5000 mah 6s batteries in parallel in the shortest safe time possible. What size power supply would I need to do that in say 30 minutes? I'm new to this electric thing so It's all a bit fuzzy

Jeff
Jeff396 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff396 View Post
Wow Tjinguy, great write up!!

I'm looking to get the FMA Power 8 also but am a little unclear about power supply requirements to take advantage of its power. I am interested in charging two 5000 mah 6s batteries in parallel in the shortest safe time possible. What size power supply would I need to do that in say 30 minutes? I'm new to this electric thing so It's all a bit fuzzy

Jeff
Hi,

Here is a good supply I highly recommend:

Mean Well RSP-1500-24

This supply will allow full operation of the PL8.
Howard Matos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Youch!!!! That's a bit more $ than I was lookong for....at least for now. So the question I have is how can I tell how fast charging will be with that charger and different amp levels of power supplies on the 5000 mah packs. I am currently using a Turnigy acucell 6 with a 20 amp power supply. It took 80 minutes to charge the 5000 mah batteries putting 2200 mah back in the packs. My friend with an FMA 10 is recharging his 2200 mah packs in around 10 minutes where my setup can take just over an hour.

Jeff
Old 11-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Youch!!!! That's a bit more $ than I was lookong for....at least for now. So the question I have is how can I tell how fast charging will be with that charger and different amp levels of power supplies on the 5000 mah packs. I am currently using a Turnigy acucell 6 with a 20 amp power supply. It took 80 minutes to charge the 5000 mah batteries putting 2200 mah back in the packs. My friend with an FMA 10 is recharging his 2200 mah packs in around 10 minutes where my setup can take just over an hour.

Jeff
Time for some math Jeff. My site covers all of this and more btw.

You want to charge a pair of 6s 5000mAh packs quickly, like in 30min. Well that is approx a 2C charge rate. Here is the math to figure out just how many watts that will require, because watts is what this is all about.

Watts = Volts * Amps = 2 * (6s * 2C) = 2 * (25.2V * 2(5A)) = 504W

So you will need a charger output of 504W to charge what you asked about. Now lets figure out how much charger input you will need to output 504W. To get this number we have to make an assumption, we will assume the charger is only 80% efficient. So we will need 20% more wattage on the input than the output.

Watts(in) = 504W + 20% = 605W

And that is the number you were effectively asking about. To figure out the other PS numbers, volts and amps, you have to assume a voltage and then plug it into the same equation above but shifted around alphabetically. So lets assume you want a 24V power supply.

Amps = Watts / Volts = 605W / 24V = 25.2A

One last thing for you to consider. You only have 6s packs, so you have no way of using the full 1344W output of the PL8. Instead you will be limited to 40A. So keep that in mind when you are sizing a power supply. In other words Howard is correct that the 1500W RSP series Meanwell is a nice match but it is nearly the most expensive PS you can buy. There are many more, much less expensive, options.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, looks like I've got a lot of reading to do before a purchase.

I would like to make one of the anti spark "Y" harness as that really freaks me out when I connect the batteries. I feel like I'm welding. I assume you connect the bullit connector last but how do you decide on what size resistor to use or doesn't it matter?

Again, great web site, very helpful!

Jeff
Old 11-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Thanks, looks like I've got a lot of reading to do before a purchase.

I would like to make one of the anti spark "Y" harness as that really freaks me out when I connect the batteries. I feel like I'm welding. I assume you connect the bullit connector last but how do you decide on what size resistor to use or doesn't it matter?

Again, great web site, very helpful!

Jeff
Really the spark is no problem. It can be worse on some connectors, especially Deans but the shielded ones are no big deal. For example my 12s 550e makes almost no spark when I connect it. Besides the spark is on the rim and the current is passed on the sized of the connector, so it really is not a problem.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi:

We have developed a very useful tool to answer all your questions about power. Check the following PL8 tabbed page titled "Resources". Click on the 2nd link of the tab to download the PowerLab 8 Power Calculator spreadsheet. The latest version supports v1, v2, and even has a custom settings sheet. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.revolectrix.com/pl8_links_tab.htm

Also, with regard to your concern about sparking, if you are worried about the connectors sparking when you plug the pack into the PL8, we got you covered already. If you follow the recommendation in the manual and plug the balance connector in first, we have included surge protection circuitry that discharges the output capacitors instantly. There is little to no spark on the balance connector, and there will be no spark on the discharge leads when you connect those up.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 07:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Tim!

I get no spark when plugging into my current charger. I was talking about when I plug the batteries into the ESC on the heli. I am using a Y harness with Deans connectors. One of the guys at the field questioned whether those connectors are adequate for my application. He didn't know either as he's into smaller electrics currently. I have a Trex 700E running the stock Align 5000kv motor with a 160 Amp CC esc with two 5000 mah 6s batteries. Are Deans okay for that?

It is kinda fun to freak people out when connecting the battery): First time I did it was when it was dark. I though I ruined something!!!

Jeff
Old 11-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

For what it's worth, my PL8 v2 arrived yesterday. Hooked it up to a Meanwell RSP-1500 24 and charged a Hyperion 12s 4500mah split pack in parallel. From a storage charge of 3.79 volts per cell, I put back 2645mah to fully charged 4.2 volts per cell on the high rate of charge setting. It was set to 34 amps. Done in 17 mins 11sec. I use 5.5mm bullets and had no sparking upon connecting. One word.....SWEET!

Last edited by whytlotus; 11-10-2010 at 11:35 AM..
whytlotus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay, been reading when time permits. I just realized that my current Turnigy Accucell 6 is only charging my new 5000 mah 25C Thunder Power batteries at 2.2 amps though I set it for 5 amps. Am I correct to assume that the power supply is not up to the task or could it be an issue with the charger or is that normal? Charge times are from 1.5 to 2 hours with a 60 to 80% drain on the batteries. The power supply is a 12 volt 20 Amp unit but it doesn't list its wattage.

Jeff
Old 11-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Accucel 6 charger is a 50 watt charger so if you a charging a 6 cell battery (25.2v fully charger) at the start of the charge it can push the 2.2 amps (battery at 22.72v or 3.78v per cell) 2.2 amps X 22.72 volts = 49.98 watts.
Gunnarjohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, that helps a lot......time for a bigger charger!!!

Jef
Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

What are you going to get now Jeff. You just need 20000 packs and alot of cheap chargers and you will be fine. If you like I can bring a cord to the field and we can hook it up to our trucks so you can get some extended flights, LOL.

See you this weekend.
BRUSKI is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bruski,

Has solar power been looked into

Beren's in pieces.......again! Waiting on parts So it's gonna be a very oily weekend!

Jeff
Old 11-24-2010, 05:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got my new PL8 FMA charger. After a day of disappointment I finally figured out that going to the faster and fastest charge levels did not mean that you were charging at a higher C rating.........I read the directions Now I'm charging my Thunder Power 5000 mah 6s packs with an 80% drain at 2C in 30 minutes. I'm still using my 12 volt 20 amp power supply. Today I'm going to try parallel charging both packs at once! This thing is great!!!!

Now I just need to get my 42 Amp 24V power supply from Feathermerchant wired and life will be good

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in