Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System

Align 3G FBL System Align 3G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Just noticed something! (PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE A 3g)

Ive been in the electronics industry for the past 21 years. Im 38 years old and thought i had seen it all.

I own a small shop , so I treated myself to a 700le flybarless kit. Got through the build in about 2 days and now im on to the electronics. (I build the same way every time. *51 helis and counting).

So what i noticed is this. I plugge the extension cable into the main unit bus. I unplugged and what do i see come with the plug? The small white loccking clip which locks the cable into it. Now mind you, it didnt come out all the way, but it was far enough out that it protrudded from the main unit case.

I thought to myself, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

So i proceed to plug the cable back in and just as i expected, it locked.............but with only half the length of the pins entering the cable side.

Add a little 90 size vibration (or .50 size for that matter) and youll probably have a disconnetion or at best intermittent contact between the 2.

I only noticed this after i had peeled back the rubber grommet to make sure I wsas getting a good connection.

I disconnected it to run the wire and mount the main unit.

cheap lock and connector.

My point is.......after I disconnected the cable, I normally wouldnt have noticed the white lock part protruding and would have probably just plugged back in,.....heard and felt a lock.........but would have only had a few of the pins fully connecting .

I pushed the white part back in and made sure it was seated properly. replugged the cable and opened the unit to check cotinuity through the cable.

it was fine.

I recreated the scenario I started with.......guess what? Intermittent contact down the cable.

Not saying ANYTHING other than what I observed.

I hope and pray that this helps someone. PEACE

JONDABEAR

HELIWERX OF SAN ANTONIO

Last edited by jondabear; 03-11-2010 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: TITLE
jondabear is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have pulled the whole white connector out of mine still attached to the plug. I don't think it will come out under vibration, mine took an awful lot of force to pull it all the way out(I couldn't get the plug out). It pushes back over some 90º pins and works with no issues.
ForceFedDSM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good to hear. Makes me feel better someone noticed this also and has no issues. Thanx for the input.(first flybarless system. Little bit scarry) .
Old 02-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

First for me too, and it scared the bejesus out of me. I thought I had wrecked the electronics. So far I like the system a lot. I just finished installing it in my 450 sport, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I have 3 total of the systems and I plan on picking up the 700 with the 3g in the kit asap.
ForceFedDSM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bumpaliscious for the people having connector problems.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

guess this shoulda got a few more views. Sorry I didnt bump it earlier.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Jondabear..

I wish I read your post before my crashes...

I was really upset that, a 400-buck advanced electronic unit would come with such a garbage connector!

As you know, my 450 PRO crashed TWICE due to losing power in midair... I thought it was a faulty sensor... but in the end it was just the stupid connector!

I now cut the black rubber cover on both ends, and instead put shoe goo around both end of the connectors to secure them. I hope this will be an adequate cure to the problem..

Many thanks for sharing your experience with me. I hope that I can bring my 450 back in the air tomorrow.

Sincerely,
Den

Last edited by DenDog220; 03-07-2010 at 02:52 AM..
DenDog220 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenDog220 View Post
Hi Jondabear..

I was really upset that, a 400-buck advanced electronic unit would come with such a garbage connector!

Den
It's Align, this should not surprise anyone. Thank god there is some awesome 600 stuff and electronics out now and coming out so I don't ever have to buy Align 'quality' again.
CharlieChoo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
noz
Registered Users

Had a bad crash today on my 700n
Am sure it was the connector because on power up the unit wouldn't kick in and after i pushed and pull the connector all was ok. I couldn't get the thing to go faulty again so i went out for a flight. Five minutes into the flight total lost on rudder and head servos throttle was working cos i manage to hit throttle hold so power was their.
Now removed the connector and soldered the wires directly to the pins then covered with glue.
Lets see what happens next.
Another thing i had like others here, Was one of the pins on the socket had sucken in quite a bit this resulted in poor or no connection. If your connector is ok i bet it won't last for long!!
noz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bumping this just for a few more reads. I believe that this deserves more attention than my tape and plate posts.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Posibble "STICKY" maybe to help a few others out there who havent had much experience with the 3g?
Old 03-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

First,,thanks guys for identifying a possible problem and taking the time to post it. I have the 3G in route,,,could you be a little more specific on what connector you are talking about? A picture maybe? I'm putting it on my T-Rex 500.

Thx!

Randy
elkmaster01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Small white connector that is both at the sensor and the command unit. If plugged in and pulled out again, like I did for installation, sometimes the white locking mechanism within the sensor or c unit will be pulled out a bit . It will slide along the contact pins and where u used to have a quarter inch pin you may now only have 1/16 or worse, no contact at all.
You really must look at the units when new and after youve unplugged to see a difference, but its normally there. If you dont catch it, the cable will plug back in AND lock and seem as if its making full connection. ITS NOT! At least not in my case.

Ill try to get a pic or two up in the next day or so. HOPE THIS HELPS. PEACE!
Old 03-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

I think you explained it well enough,,thx. Would some CA on the white locking mechanism be enough to hold it in place? I'll surely look it over real good when I get it,,,thx!!

Randy
Old 03-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know I shouldnt have done it, BUT i took the main unit apart( one I was having trouble with) and pushed the white con. as far as it would go and used some ind. strength HOT glue. I think this stuf will hold like 20 or 30 pounds or something like that.

I barely put a dot and smoothed it over the con and pins with a very thin dowel I had lying around. Put the unit back together and no problems since!
Old 03-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pictures would have been nice....
Gernejr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dont make me tear it apart!

I got a funfly that Im showing off my 2 new birds at this weekend but after that (ends sun.) Ill tear it apart,and take some pics. Gotta retork the head anyway, its a new engine and just has over 30 flights as of today. Oughtta have bought 40 by sun.

Ill have the pics by MON. then. PEACE!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Those types of connectors aren't meant to be plugged in/out repeatedly- Once locked, they take some 'finesse' with force to get them out... and I could easily see problems in the future if it pulls something the wrong way. (Like pulling the connecotor housing out!)

I would try to pick the right length cable, plug it in, and LEAVE IT ALONE if you can. At least make sure it goes back in with a good solid connection once removed.

I have the 3G system and don't agree with everything about the execution of design, but it works flawlessly so far...

Last edited by DesertClimber; 03-15-2010 at 11:15 AM..
DesertClimber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

DC,,,,,,if Align would have published that this is a one-time install on the connectors I doubt many people would have bought it. Align had to know that folks may want to swap this system from one heli to another,,,,or replace a damaged gyro,,,etc. A better connector is warrented.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs down

How about USB adapter, if we ever get one, I heard that port is the same port that would be use for the USB... how in the .... can we only allow to unplug it mutiples time...
helisfreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in