Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #781 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I am waiting for some building parts to continue assembling my trex500, and have been trying to read through the pages of this thread. After many headaches from reading so much, I can't keep straight what I've all read.

I understand connecting the boom to the main drive bearings, and the same in the tail. Should I use a wire and connect the whole thing to the main shaft bearings as well?

I did order some different bearing holders, some metal ones, in anticipation that I should have continuity through all of these parts.

Just need confirmation. Thanks.
Grimmy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #782 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

HobbyKing have a metal tail boom holder for 11$ to the T-rex 500, thats will make grounding easy.
Burst is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #783 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a problem with this title lol! Older DSM is unquestionably the number 1 brown out issues lol!!
mhills51 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #784 (permalink)
Registered Users

its so easier then you think and cost not a dime to fix this issue ..

take a wire about 4 inchs long ... sstrip one end and put it between boom and the stab wing brace..

take other end strip it 1/4 inch

zip tie to boom supports so the rest of the wire loops down and hangs downward
done deal ..

this is done on real airplanes all the time as in the glass tubes with the wire inside for lighting strikes .. and such

it works great ..

Old 12-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #785 (permalink)
Registered Users

Number one may be drawing more amps than your bec will pute out.Ive never had any static problems with my belt driven heli running spektrum but I also take a q tip and oil my belt with cylicone base oil.If you are running high demanding servos and a heavy pitch set up especially if running an fbl unit imo its a good ideal to run a capacitor to hold more amps.This is a known problem with the 500 size.CC makes an add on capacitor and I also seen some on ready hly.
Turttle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #786 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just drug out my EXI 500 CF/Metal version to finish it up and get her in the air finally. Because I haven't done anything with a heli in quite a long time I've been doing a lot of reading. Ran across some posts on static with belt drive birds again. I went ahead and grounded my Beam 450 back when I built it a few years ago but never really checked for static beforehand. Now I've seen a few videos using voltage detection pens. I got out my Fluke VoltAlert pen and ran it over the entire EXI 500 while spun up (without blades). No indication of any voltage anywhere EXCEPT the main gears and a smaller amount at ESC output and the motor. The pen lights up solid and bright at the gears only. Kinda hard to ground the plastic. I'm guessing the static buildup is due to wind friction. I guess a thin brass strip could be set up to rub the gear and ground it to the bearing block. Now to be fair I have to say my Fluke is the 90-600volt version. There are some out there that read as low as 20 volts. It would be interesting to know what rating the tool had that was used in the videos. I don't have any issues with brown out during bench tests but you never know. She hasn't been in the air yet. Anyone else seen this gear static phenomenon?

Joe
Old 02-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #787 (permalink)
Registered Users

Even with new 2.4 radio tech, I still took the time to properly ground my boom and associated hardware with my motor mount block. I did this very simply and easy with a single strand of wire from a CAT 5 cable I had laying around. You even get to pick the color you like! )

I ran it from the boom, down the boom support (wrapped with shrinkwrap) and then cleanly inside the frame to the motor mount. I use a digitial meter to check for continuity from my rudder shaft, to my motor shaft. BEEEEEEEP. Everything checks good. It gives me a little piece of mind too knowing that i will not have any ESD problems.

Thanks for the tip!

* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 02:32 AM   #788 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Relisys, are you able to take a pic further back of the rest of the static wire?
With the shrink wrap and where it runs?
Thanks Gav
Diggiz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #789 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggiz View Post
Hey Relisys, are you able to take a pic further back of the rest of the static wire?
With the shrink wrap and where it runs?
Thanks Gav
Yup sure thing. I'll take a pic or two when I get home today
Old 03-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #790 (permalink)
Registered Users

Diggiz,

So I took a section of blue cat5 Ethernet cable. Strip the blue part back and you're left with several strands of cool colored copper wire. Pick a color!

I've attached a few photo's let me know if you have any questions. I doubt i'll ever have a static problem with 2.4ghz, BUT i'd rather not take a chance with a several hundred dollar flying lawnmower.

Here you can see where it's attached to the motor mount screw :

[B]Here is where it transitions up a boom support wrapped neatly and held with shrinkwrap at each end[/B] :

Here's another shot running up the boom support with shrinkwrap :

And finishing off with more shrinkwrap and finally attaching to a screw holding the metal tail assembly in place.

Hope this helps, I find the telephone/data/internet cable works best because it's very small wire. Check for continuity using a meter and be sure you have contact from metal tail shaft all the way to metal motor mount. You'll never have static issues with this.

-Markus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_1.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	492303   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	492304   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_3.jpg
Views:	1112
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	492305   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_4.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	492306  
Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #791 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This may help, but I have read that a static discharge big enough to make you system brown out would burn that wire in half. So here is hopping you don't get a second one in flight.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:03 AM   #792 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thnks Relisys.
Awsume pics mate. Thanks a lot. Ps where did you get your lower boom support brace thing? That hold your boom struts together?
Diggiz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #793 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
This may help, but I have read that a static discharge big enough to make you system brown out would burn that wire in half. So here is hopping you don't get a second one in flight.

That would be a MASSIVE spark. I'd love to see it
Old 03-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #794 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggiz View Post
Thnks Relisys.
Awsume pics mate. Thanks a lot. Ps where did you get your lower boom support brace thing? That hold your boom struts together?
Im unsure, it was on the heli when I purchased it used. It's a very trick little part. I'd suspect KDE or other manufact. would carry them.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #795 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
The beauty of the wire though, is that it continuously discharges any charge that builds up, so you never get enough to create a discharge that powerful.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #796 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
The beauty of the wire though, is that it continuously discharges any charge that builds up, so you never get enough to create a discharge that powerful.
I agree! I just wish these guys making new radios would think about it a bit
Old 03-31-2014, 07:23 AM   #797 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relisys190 View Post
Im unsure, it was on the heli when I purchased it used. It's a very trick little part. I'd suspect KDE or other manufact. would carry them.
That's a microheli part. I had one on the trex I sold.
rob78 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #798 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok,i'm a little late to the party, I have a trex 500GF kit that's been in a box on my shelf for a couple years. I am now almost finished building it and was wondering with the new electronics is the static still an issue? I was going to use either an Ikon or Vbar with a Spektrum satellite or two, will I have any issues with static and brownouts? The only think that has been done to it is a metal tail pulley housing and DFC head, other than that its box stock.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:32 PM   #799 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have long since removed my static ground wire and have not encountered issues yet

Good luck with your build!
Markus
Old 09-26-2016, 03:51 AM   #800 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relisys190 View Post
I have long since removed my static ground wire and have not encountered issues yet

Good luck with your build!
Markus
Thank you, I will try it without a ground wire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in