Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 05:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

˅˅˅˅˅
eeeyal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 05:26 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=@eeeyal: I do not find this log very helpful here.. What is the relevant section?[/QUOTE]

Scroll down to page 19 on. You may find the log helpful, you may not. Similar end results to what’s being described here with a different model Kontronik ESC.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:40 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay. Looks like a power fail. But after 38 seconds the power seems to have resumed, V-Bar reporting everything OK, failed 40 seconds later again? Hmm... A bit strange for a final fail of the BEC..
Old 07-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can see what the log is showing... the strange part is that the ESC/BEC worked "fine" again after resting for an hr or so. (this is where this specific case may be different then the HeliJive) that is why I am interested in seeing the log files for the HeliJive failures.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl7uae View Post
Can you explain your electric setup at first, please?
Which cable ran to where?
Who supplied the R/C voltage? Guess, the JIVE's BEC was it. But was there another voltage supply in parallel, another regulator, buffer pack, Green Caps etc?
What was the BEC output voltage set up? Did you use the Master AND the Slave connector? To where Master/Slave had been connected to?

Etc pp... You know what I mean.

How about the current BEC output voltage? Zero? No LED flashing on power-up?

@eeeyal: I do not find this log very helpful here.. What is the relevant section?

Tom
I pulled a jive 80 hv off, the wires don't change where they go, master in esc collective, slave any free port been doing this over 400 flights on all other jives, batteries 10s in parallel plugged to the esc, no buffer or caps or anything extra, plain and simple how it has been running for over 100+ flights on this heli alone with a jive using the jive bec.

I have a post also, Mr Mel is running the same setup, so if you where referring to something being hooked up wrong then that is not the case, I do not have a prog disc so the voltage stayed at 5.6v the default same on all the other helis I have run jives on, and thats what it was in the v bar 5.6v.
jhheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

@jhheli
Okay.. Strange.. What BEC voltage do you measure now (everything unplugged)?

I read at Runryder that the servos seem to be damaged, moving but twitching. And the tail voltage limiter smells "other" now. So that points on overvoltage.

Again: And now? Still overvoltage or zero?

Also again: JIVE's LED not showing up on power-on?

As I said at the start: I do not have an idea where to get both in context, ESC and BEC.. The JIVE should be returned to K for forensic.

Bummer that there was no JLog recording that. On the other hand the logger w'd power-fail also in that moment, but may have recorded the incident after the initial power-fail.

Tom
Old 07-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhheli View Post
I pulled a jive 80 hv off, the wires don't change where they go, master in esc collective, slave any free port been doing this over 400 flights on all other jives, batteries 10s in parallel plugged to the esc, no buffer or caps or anything extra, plain and simple how it has been running for over 100+ flights on this heli alone with a jive using the jive bec.

I have a post also, Mr Mel is running the same setup, so if you where referring to something being hooked up wrong then that is not the case, I do not have a prog disc so the voltage stayed at 5.6v the default same on all the other helis I have run jives on, and thats what it was in the v bar 5.6v.
Don't worry about the inference of you hooking it up wrong, it's called denial.

Mine went back as Magneto was nice enough to PM me before I hooked it up. In my case it would have been a direct swap for a Jive 120HV. But no way I am going to risk my electronics with a $560.00 ESC that I bought for reliability.

Everyone screws up now and then. But it is an opportunity for Kontronik to shine depending on how they handle the situation. If they man up quickly, pull the ESC's, and admit there is a problem and communicate then they will be fine.Then they have some time to find the root cause.

or they can take the Castle route and deny for a year while failures and heli's go up in smoke. after that they can start selling them for $200 if at all.

I run Kontronik's on all my birds and you can call me a die hard fan.

Synergy N5C sitting in Box...
Mystic3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
it's called denial
Joker. Am not Kontronik.

Anyway. I have a good communication to K and I'm interesting in clarification as jhheli "might be", especially as I as electronics engineer cannot understand an apparent relation between the ESC part of the JIVE and such a bad damage of the BEC.

Tom
Old 07-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Joker. Am not Kontronik.

Anyway. I have a good communication to K and I'm interesting in clarification as jhheli "might be", especially as I as electronics engineer cannot understand an apparent relation between the ESC part of the JIVE and such a bad damage of the BEC.

Tom
If I were to guess the unique thing about Vbar and phase sensor is you
Have coupled the esc motor output(phase sensor) HV side > to the LV(BEC) side by plugging the phase sensor into the VBar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If I were to guess the unique thing about Vbar and phase sensor is you
Have coupled the esc motor output(phase sensor) HV side > to the LV(BEC) side by plugging the phase sensor into the VBar.
Depends on the circuitry of the phase sensor in use.
Depends on the maximum voltage rating of that sensor and what may happen inside of the sensor in that case.
Oops!...

Another question that I forgot to ask:
Speaking about a bad commutation failure that may have happened.. What firmware version is the V-Bar? Don't say 5.1.7, please say 5.1.10beta...

K is very interested to get this JIVE in their hands.

Tom
Old 07-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Depends on the maximum voltage rating of that sensor and what may happen inside of the sensor in that case.
Oops!...

Speaking about a bad commutation failure that may have happened.. What firmware version is the V-Bar? Don't say 5.1.7, please say 5.1.10beta...

Tom
Pretty sure Hyperion Phase Sensor and 5.1.7.
Will look up the specs of the Hyperion later

Old 07-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Oops!...

Tom
Unless you are a beta tester how would you get your hands on the Beta version of the software?? Are the Heli Jives only compatiable with 5.1.10?? I don't see it for download

I talked to Jheli and as far as I know it's just the Hyperion Phase Sensor

I do know that he was shipping the unit back to Kontronics today (He said it should be there by Friday)
Logo XXtreme, Kosmik, Pyro 800-48L Futaba 157s/256. Henseleit TDR, Pyro 700-52, 120 Jive, V-Bar 5.3, BLS253/251. Logo 600SE, Scorp 5020-450KV, 120 Helijive, Futaba 451s/251. Logo 400, Align 510MGs, JR 8900G, Kontronik Jive 80+ LV,Mini Pyro 400-14,
jtjohn1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Heres the latest news just sent to me by a HF brother. Little consolation I know, but... RH has pulled all inventory and had all dealers send them back as well. Entire load is going to Germany. They reproduced the failure on the bench. Your not crazy. Something is wrong. Whether it be batch related or design flaw.

Kontronik will have to investigate. Next batch is indefinite right now and RH told me they would flog one when they have been fixed before putting on the store again. Excellent service from RH anyway.

Figured you'd want to know if you don't.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yea Baby. That's what I am talking about, quality always wins in the end.
Good move Kontronik .

Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_to_the_Mystic_2003 View Post
Yea Baby. That's what I am talking about, quality always wins in the end.
Good move Kontronik .

That's if it's true (Not saying it's not just if it's true) You would hope that RH would send out emails to everybody who has already purchased them recalling them.

Also when I talked to RH they said they were out of stock (Of course this may be the reason) but made no mention of any recall (This was yesterday)

Sent an Email to Kontronics about this two days ago and haven't heard squat back yet.
Logo XXtreme, Kosmik, Pyro 800-48L Futaba 157s/256. Henseleit TDR, Pyro 700-52, 120 Jive, V-Bar 5.3, BLS253/251. Logo 600SE, Scorp 5020-450KV, 120 Helijive, Futaba 451s/251. Logo 400, Align 510MGs, JR 8900G, Kontronik Jive 80+ LV,Mini Pyro 400-14,
jtjohn1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just sent RH an email asking them what I should do with my unit. We'll see what they advise............
Mike B.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Be a little patient, we are on Internet time here.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Unless you are a beta tester how would you get your hands on the Beta version of the software?? Are the Heli Jives only compatiable with 5.1.10?? I don't see it for download
What I've heard from Kontronik about that:

There was a cooperation with Uli on that JIVE-VBgovernor issue of course.
The central problem is around the initial spoolup with a stationary motor. That have to be done by the ESC, imperatively. On the other hand there is the V-Bar governor, not knowing about commutational conditions and current PWM (w'd be possible via JLog). The governor runs a throttle ramp for spoolup to desired rpm. The trick is now, also depending on the type of motor (slow runner or not) to find the right point of time for passing the control over to the governor.

What I've heard from Kontronik is, that in the end they (K and Uli) found a good working solution in which after a timeout of 5 seconds after startup (governor's throttle passing a threshold value) control is handed over to the governor. What means: The governor waits that time before continuing to run its spoolup throttle ramp. The trick with that is to find a point at which no bigger jump in the throttle value (-->PWM) takes place - to avoid possible problems with hot motors, commutation glitches, a pirouette on ground also.

What I've heard further: On the V-Bar side the result of this adaptation process is the 5.1.10 implementing the wait loop mechanism.

Tom
Old 07-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjohn1 View Post
That's if it's true (Not saying it's not just if it's true) You would hope that RH would send out emails to everybody who has already purchased them recalling them.

Also when I talked to RH they said they were out of stock (Of course this may be the reason) but made no mention of any recall (This was yesterday)

Sent an Email to Kontronics about this two days ago and haven't heard squat back yet.
This thread is very interesting. In regards to RH they are indeed a quality company and if Kontronik is recalling the Heli Jive then they are responding in a responsible way.

As for why the Heli Jive is out of stock it was due to the demand of having that perfect setup of a quality ESC that Kontronik is combined with the V-Bar's governor. I had the Heli Jive in my cart at RH when it was first in stock and before I had a chance to check out it was out of stock. So I doubt they were out of stock because of the recall since that very night there were threads here on HF of ancious buyers to get a hold of the Heli Jive.

Luis
Luisito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
This thread is very interesting. In regards to RH they are indeed a quality company and if Kontronik is recalling the Heli Jive then they are responding in a responsible way.

As for why the Heli Jive is out of stock it was due to the demand of having that perfect setup of a quality ESC that Kontronik is combined with the V-Bar's governor. I had the Heli Jive in my cart at RH when it was first in stock and before I had a chance to check out it was out of stock. So I doubt they were out of stock because of the recall since that very night there were threads here on HF of ancious buyers to get a hold of the Heli Jive.

Luis
Yes looks like FastLad(UK) shows stock on the HeliJive. RH and Fastlad are the two main distributors. So if it was pulled you would think Fastlad would show no stock,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in