Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDS Helicopters General Discussion

KDS Helicopters General Discussion KDS Helicopters General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KDS.... better than Align?

I won't post this in the Align section because the fanboys won't give other brands a fair shot. (I know, because in my Glock forum, every other brand gets trashed).

So my question is....

1. How does the quality of materials, build, fit, etc compare to Align TRex? I'm not really talking about the electronics because they can be upgraded easily. I'm talking about the helicopter itself. Is it a good quality built heli?

2. Now since we're on electronics, how does the stock electronics fair against Align stock components?

The only reason I'm asking is that I like the helicopter and I'd like something different (yet affordable) when I show up to fly somewhere. Everyone has Trex's and the TRex seems to be the standard in which others are judged.

I'm just talking STOCK heli's, not what's possible after upgrading.
TexasC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok....here goes!
Essentially I'm talking KDS550 vs Trex 600N (I currently have KDS, used to have Align)

The electronics seem to be as good as align but time will tell. Servos are quick and not as noisy as align.

The materials are good but I suspect that bolts and screws may strip easier than align (have nothing to base this on though.)

The KDS frame as standard it make of thicker carbon than on the align tree 600N-LE.

The KDS blades don't look quite as precise and smooth as align (or other high-end brands) I have align 550 blades on mine.

The canopy is great quality and well airbrushed with no imperfections.

IMHO the Innova 550 is a good quality heli and it's quality is easily in the same ballpark as align. At the end of the day KDS is made in China....Align is made in Taiwan. I think quality control in China is probably a little behind Taiwan but iPhones come from China and they're awesome!

I think people often promote what they've spent their money on because it makes them feel better lol (Yes, I can be exhibit A, but I have owned both)

After my rambling post I'd probably conclude that in my opinion they're in the same ballpark.
rebeltrousers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hello Fellow Houstonian....

I have a KDS 700, and as far as I know still the only one in Texas with one. But I may be wrong. I also have Trex's a Gaui, and 3 Chaos's *Trex clones*. The build went very smoothly although I did make a couple of modifications which I was more comfortable with. The Tailboom supports were on the thin side, and I now have boom supports from a raptor on it. The electronics are quiet and smooth, And as soon as I can keep her in the air I will give you a flight report. I was going to power it with a 5020-450KV scorpion *Yes overkill* but I keep smoking speed controllers going into Idle up.... Roflmao.... If I were smart I should just put a 4035-530Kv and be done with it..... But sometimes I dont always do the smart thing I really enjoyed building it it went together really smoothly
Old 03-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KDS 550 INNOVA

I have over 8 Aligns Ranging from 250 -550 My INNOVA is my Favorite it has a sound of its own its bigger than the 550 Align and Faster parts are cheaper I Love it CHEERS
tunner777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 02:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi there. Just my 2 cents. My friend William came second in last years SAMAA 3 D Masters competition and he has always flown Trex. Since last week he has build a 550 Innova and flown it - what a beast of a heli. I own the older 450 Q, and the difference in quality is so far apart. He tried every thing on it to push it to its limits - nothing lets go, and he really punished it. I am very impressed with what they have achived in such a short time. So i will say just as good as Align or even better.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am not sure that there are vast quality differences, but the ability to find Align parts OEM or otherwise easily is a nice feature.
That stated I would not give up my KDS and am looking to purchase a KDS Innova 600 when I have the extra money.
BaconWrap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The only real problem with KDS seems to be getting parts.
I have the 450QS not the innova, and its a real pain in the ass to get bits for. Ended up buying a Trex 450 sport to play with until i can get parts for the KDS (wife gave it to me for xmas, so it WILL get back in the air)
bungie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KDS vs Align and parts availability

Ok I own 3 KDS innova one of each size... Align quality wise craps all over KDS but when you look at what you get for teh price... its actually pretty good bag for buck.. the machining of some of teh parts is poor in terms of tolerance on bearing housings etc ... sloppy blade grips and tail grips etc... most of teh parts or compatiblae with logo parts so dont stress about parts , i have two logo 600 and the parts interchange..also if you want parts I buy direct from teh factory , typically you have to pay a lot of money for big orders.. so its not liek you can just buy one or two parts as required... also they have a website almost runnign to create user accounts and buy online...but I spoke to them a couple months back and theyre still a wee way off bothering to complete it ... but rest assured it will happen..

If you are going to spend $600 ( cost of a innova 600 ) thats direct from factory to me a pleb joe public i would suggest you better off spending a bit more on teh align purely for the fact that parts are readily available and much hiher quality...im not saying kds are bad theyre just not quite up to scratch unless you are not a beginner...these are not really beginner heli and some of teh build needs a bit of expertise to iron out poor manufacture bugs etc... over all i was pretty happy with teh way it flew.. but teh ebar...its no where near teh 3GX but again price factor...how deep your pockets are to get into a larger bird is up to you..

hope that helps .

cheers
Madryan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in