Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > JS TZ-V2 Frenzy

JS TZ-V2 Frenzy JS Models TZ-V2 Frenzy Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Stupid question..

Should I use the rubber grommets that come with the servo's on my frenzy???
This is my first nitro heli, and I don't know.
I know that on my little 450 you don't want them, but not sure about the big one since it will have more vibrations..
BTW, I am using 8717's
crashagain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2009, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes use the grommets but dont use the brass sleeves. And as far as the 8717's they use alot of power, so use atleast a 10 amp voltage regulator or the system may shut down under a load
Old 07-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks for the advice.
I was looking at the duralight regulators.
Any recomendations?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

duralite 7.5 amp will probley be ok, it would depend on how hard you fly. If your real aggressive (i.e. 10 or so constant tic toc's piro flips etc...), the system may get overloaded because of the high current draw from the 8717's and may shut down. I am not sure how hard you fly, you will most likely be ok with the duralite. but if you get into real hard flying go for the spectrum 10 amp (the one with the fan on it )
Old 07-15-2009, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mayne in a year I"ll be doint that stuff.
I finally popped my inverted cherry a month ago, and am still practicing my flips and rolls. So I got a ways to go. I was also looking at the Arizona regulator. It looks like a better unit then the duralight, and you can adjust the voltage you want.
BTW,I can't run the spectrum one, I'm using Futaba.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why wouldnt you use the brass sleeves? just curious?
thanks
Wedge
Wedge77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The brass sleeves tend to not set the servo tight enough on the frame (makes them to sloppy) and the sleeves will eventually wear on the frame also if you go with no grommets at all (like in a 450 size) it makes them to ridged. Nitro helis have a lot of vibration so you want your servos tight but yet dampened
Old 08-06-2009, 03:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, but I beg to differ.

I don't see how these servos could be 'dampened' with their rubber grommets fully compressed til they got no movement.

The servo presents a twisting movement around the servo horn's spline and there are 4 anchor points (mounting screws) to prevent this movement, jamming the 4 mounting screws down doesn't help much.

The brass sleeves allows the correct 'compression' of the rubber grommet when the screws are fully tighten thus allowing the proper dampening from shocks.
Ghostfit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree somewhat, if you do mild flying. I myself want the servos to not move and have a slight damping to them. For me it will keep the bird from being "mushy". I guess in an airplane (if i were to fly a plank ) it would probley be ok, however I like my bird to have everything stiff yet not ridged. i guess you can call it a performance issue. (i.e stock chevrolet vs nascar chevrolet). Now i dont want anybody to take my post out of context, all this is my personall preference. There is alot of things throughout any heli that people like certain ways nothing is set in stone.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My apology if I came across as being confrontational
I totally agree with you on the "nothing is set in stone" part.

To be honest, some of my electric helis do not even have the rubber grommets in them, they are mounted directly to the frame without any dampening. (ep helis do not vibrate like nitro powered ones)
The TZ-V2 comes with those alloy servo mount plates which really helps to properly secure the servos, without those brass sleeves, you will have to really tighten the screws more in order to eliminate the play between the grommet hole and screw by compressing the rubber, under load the rubber is pressing and rubbing against those screw threads.
Servos mounted with the sleeves are fully capable of the most extreme hardcore 3D.
But you are right, it's a matter of personal preferences.
Ghostfit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You didnt come across confrontational at all, its just somtimes other people take my posts out of context. then they make a huge deal out of nothing.
On another note, I just took one of my friends helis apart, and he had the brass sleeves in the servos. I noticed that they were crushed at the ends, it makes me think that the sleeves are for making the servos secure into balsa wood for airplanes. who knows
also all the 450 size electrics i have put together, i have not used the rubbers either.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the one you took apart, did you notice any excess wobble of the servos when you moved the arms?
It would seem to me that if you tried to use the brass sleeve it would allow the servo to wobble a little, making for a sloppy swash..
Old 08-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The servos i took out came out of a raptor, and they were smashed into the plastic. So they were pretty tight. All the brass sleeves were compressed and smashed at the ends though. I have them at my shop or id get a photo today. I will try to post a photo tomorrow or something.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default i heard that before too!

a guy who used to fly with us,said one time that the brass sleeves are to keep the screw threads from eating into the rubber, and another airplane guy said he would use the brass sleeves to set into the holes drilled into the mounting plate in his airplanes fuse, so i guess all of these posts have some part of the explaination in them but build it how you are comfortable with it, and fly it like you stole it. lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in