Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flymentor (what to expect)

After quite some time, I figure my FM is set up as well as it's ever going to be.

Still, I don't have any confidence that the unit would help me much in case I needed a "bailout". I do not fly any 3D, in fact right now I'm just getting out of the hover only stage.

I put the bird into forward flight for 100 feet or so, then let go of the sticks. It starts to slow down (a bit at least) but doesn't really come to a full stop. Should it?? I've set the gain up near the max setting without "dancing",

Been unable to get the camera working no matter what I do, but since I fly over mostly blacktop pavement, maybe there is not enough contrast. I have set the FM/swash settings up so that I need none-to-very-little TX trim.

Boowho??
boowho is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
After quite some time, I figure my FM is set up as well as it's ever going to be.

Still, I don't have any confidence that the unit would help me much in case I needed a "bailout". I do not fly any 3D, in fact right now I'm just getting out of the hover only stage.

I put the bird into forward flight for 100 feet or so, then let go of the sticks. It starts to slow down (a bit at least) but doesn't really come to a full stop. Should it?? I've set the gain up near the max setting without "dancing",

Been unable to get the camera working no matter what I do, but since I fly over mostly blacktop pavement, maybe there is not enough contrast. I have set the FM/swash settings up so that I need none-to-very-little TX trim.

Boowho??
No if you are moving forward then releasing the stick will not stop it, the swash will level but inertia will keep it moving forward. If you want to stop the heli you need to apply reverse stick until it stops and then release the stick. All Flymentor does is level the heli if the sticks are released, it is just gyro's that know where level is,
If you want something that will park the heli in the sky then you need something with GPS.
Flymentor is very good for beginners because it levels the heli when the sticks are released but if you can already fly and keep the heli level it is of little use. Having said that it does enable you to take your eyes off the heli for a couple of seconds without worrying that it will come down and some say that they are more relaxed when flying with it, I certainly am.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
No if you are moving forward then releasing the stick will not stop it, the swash will level but inertia will keep it moving forward. If you want to stop the heli you need to apply reverse stick until it stops and then release the stick. All Flymentor does is level the heli if the sticks are released, it is just gyro's that know where level is,
If you want something that will park the heli in the sky then you need something with GPS.
Flymentor is very good for beginners because it levels the heli when the sticks are released but if you can already fly and keep the heli level it is of little use. Having said that it does enable you to take your eyes off the heli for a couple of seconds without worrying that it will come down and some say that they are more relaxed when flying with it, I certainly am.
What I'm hoping for is something that will help me save my bacon, if (for example) I get the heli up into too steep of a turn and lose it. I'm a bit nervous to try a test of that capability, for fear that it may not recover before it kisses the dirt. I probably need more sim time....... I can hover well enough to go through an entire battery without touching down, so I guess I've got that down pat...... Somebody once told me that hovering was the most difficult part of the whole thing....... Hmmmmm.....

Boowho??
Old 04-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
What I'm hoping for is something that will help me save my bacon, if (for example) I get the heli up into too steep of a turn and lose it. I'm a bit nervous to try a test of that capability, for fear that it may not recover before it kisses the dirt. I probably need more sim time....... I can hover well enough to go through an entire battery without touching down, so I guess I've got that down pat...... Somebody once told me that hovering was the most difficult part of the whole thing....... Hmmmmm.....

Boowho??
If you get into trouble and release the sticks the heli will level out so yes it will help save the heli provided you have the height but will not stop the forward motion. It is simply gyros that know when the heli is level, provided it has been set up correctly. So instead of struggling to regain control you release the stick and the heli levels out, this gives you breathing space and time to stop or slow the heli down and regain control. But you must take into account that it is also capable of inverted flight so if you bank more than 90 degrees and release the stick it will level the heli inverted. It works well for what it cost but of course there are better stabilizers but at a much higher cost.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
If you get into trouble and release the sticks the heli will level out so yes it will help save the heli provided you have the height but will not stop the forward motion. It is simply gyros that know when the heli is level, provided it has been set up correctly. So instead of struggling to regain control you release the stick and the heli levels out, this gives you breathing space and time to stop or slow the heli down and regain control. But you must take into account that it is also capable of inverted flight so if you bank more than 90 degrees and release the stick it will level the heli inverted. It works well for what it cost but of course there are better stabilizers but at a much higher cost.
Thanks..... I think I at least have it pretty well setup..... Today (dead calm) it would hover as long as a minute or so with no stick input (either stick) whatsoever. Still no position hold because of the surface I fly over; very poor contrast, I guess.

When I go flybarless, I'm getting the bavarian demon unit.

Boowho??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in