Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X

nano CP X Blade nano CP X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Normal or Stunt mode?

Hey Guys,

Looking for some advice on which mode to fly in. I am a total noob - I am still learning to hover and this is indoors.

I also have Phoenix RC and I have started the From tail-in to all 8s and funnels in 6 months training from the flight school forum. For those of you not familiar with this training the first step is to do slow piros in a hover. It is recommended that you use an idle mode (stunt) for this.

So I'd like to know what you guys think about also doing this with the Nano when I am doing some real practice. Do any of you fly normal mode or are you always in an idle mode?

I have been working on throttle hold in the sim. I can see where that will be a big issue if I'm not fast enough on the switch. I have already replaced one main motor.

Anyway, thanks for any input!

Eric
Ewizza is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I always fly my nano in idle up mode. Even in the house. Just be sure to hit throttle hold when you're about to crash.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Staticxd00d. I was thinking it would make sense. I see you have a Forza 450 in your sig how do you like it? I think those birds are sexy!
Old 01-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a personal preference thing...

Some take off and land in normal mode then flip to IU...

Others prefer IU from the start

Remember that Throttle Hold is your best friend
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have it in stunt mode with the throttle hold on and when im ready i just turn off the throttle hold and let it spool up and than take off.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewizza View Post
Thanks Staticxd00d. I was thinking it would make sense. I see you have a Forza 450 in your sig how do you like it? I think those birds are sexy!
I LOVE it! It's down right now... waiting for parts to arrive, I crashed it for the first time last weekend. Regardless... it flies beautifully, really nice bird!

Once you start flying in idle up mode, you'll never go back to normal. You can take off in normal and flip to IU when you're airborne, or you can do it on the ground. Either way works. Main thing is to get that TH flip in your head... if you fly in normal mode and get into the habit of chopping the throttle down to the bottom when you're about to crash, that will make things MUCH worse in idle up mode, because all you're doing is adding full negative pitch!
Old 01-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use normal indoors. For outside idle up for sure.

VCONTROL*NEO*TRIBUNUS*MKS*VTX*DPL8 W/BUMP CONTROL*MEANWELL
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you like the Forza check out my review of the Microheli canopy/tail cover in the JR section.

Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks again everyone for the input. I think I am going to go with idle up full time and see how it goes.

So then - question B - do you guys cut down the throttle speed indoors? I have already cut D/R to 65% and I'd like to keep the nano tame until my noobness wears off

-d00d out of curiosity what did your setup cost for the Forza? ~ $900?
Old 01-30-2015, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm still new and learning, but I find if I throttle up to 50% on stick, then switch to ST1, the lower idle up mode for the DX8, it avoids the jerk and spin torque on start up, but has me at zero pitch until I tell it to climb. Seems to work ok for me anyway.
cdaivs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Seems to me that everyone has their own preference when it comes to when to hit idle up. The way I do it is I spool up and lift off in normal mode, once I'm in the air I hit my idle up switch and use stunt mode my entire flight. The Nano flies best in this mode. When it comes to landing, I prefer to land my heli in idle up and switch to normal when I'm on the ground and I spool down with the throttle stick then hit throttle hold when the motors stopped or stopping. On my Mcpx BL, I notice doing that lessens how much it wants to spin on my floor when the blades are slowing down.
Heli's that I currently fly: Lynx Oxy3+ {Build In Progress!}, JR Forza 450 {hangar queen}, Blade 180CFX, Blade mCPX BL {work horse}, Blade NanoCPX - Blade Nano QX, Blade NanoQX3D - Phoenix 5.5 - Spektrum DX6 - - HeliFreak is great! -
Canadian_Jesus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 05:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks again everyone for the input. I think I am going to go with idle up full time and see how it goes.

So then - question B - do you guys cut down the throttle speed indoors? I have already cut D/R to 65% and I'd like to keep the nano tame until my noobness wears off

-d00d out of curiosity what did your setup cost for the Forza? ~ $900?
I do not cut down throttle speed indoors. Just make sure to hit TH if you're going to crash. The only thing I've broken on mine in a hundred flights is the landing gear.

I bought the Forza combo with everything while it was on sale... got it for $299. I sold the TAGS-mini FBL for $65 to a fellow Helifreaker, and bought a Microbeast Plus for it for $179. So, all said and done, not including batteries (I'm running Turnigy Nano-tech 2200mah 25-50C packs at less than $20 each), total initial cost was just over $400. That frenzy sale was a killer deal... I wish I could have bought 2 of them for that price!

Old 01-31-2015, 08:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticxd00d View Post
I do not cut down throttle speed indoors. Just make sure to hit TH if you're going to crash. The only thing I've broken on mine in a hundred flights is the landing gear.

I bought the Forza combo with everything while it was on sale... got it for $299. I sold the TAGS-mini FBL for $65 to a fellow Helifreaker, and bought a Microbeast Plus for it for $179. So, all said and done, not including batteries (I'm running Turnigy Nano-tech 2200mah 25-50C packs at less than $20 each), total initial cost was just over $400. That frenzy sale was a killer deal... I wish I could have bought 2 of them for that price!

Yeah I missed the deal by a day or two! A serious bummer!

Good info guys. Thanks for helping to flatten the learning curve.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
out of curiosity what did your setup cost for the Forza? ~ $900?
I bought the full combo for $299 also and the MH canopy/boom cover for around $75 so $374.00 I run the JR DMSS Tx so I'm using the Mini Tags along with the several Pulse 3s 2250 packs I already had. I should have purchased at least one more also.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette & Copter Guy View Post
I bought the full combo for $299 also and the MH canopy/boom cover for around $75 so $374.00 I run the JR DMSS Tx so I'm using the Mini Tags along with the several Pulse 3s 2250 packs I already had. I should have purchased at least one more also.

Well since I missed the sale I'm looking at a lot more money - shame really. So, now I am thinking about going with a Goblin 500 with a cc 90 esc and an Ikon fbl. All told with battery and charger etc it's about 1500! Far cry from 375
Old 02-01-2015, 01:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're braver than I am. I started out with micro fixed-pitch helis and worked my way up to a collective pitch. Good luck with it!
adamky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in