Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Which Heli Airframe for AP work?

Ok, I realize that's like asking what's the best truck to buy, but I'll explain a little about what I "think" I am looking for. First off, is there a thread out there that lists several different folks experiences with different setups, and needs?

Ok, so I am a photographer as a side job, so I love photography, but at this point I am not looking to merge RC with photography to make money, it's more for myself, with however the future possibility of doing so. I am just not ready to sell off my hobby. I am currently assembling my first Multirotor that I plan to learn FPV with and have a little GoPro fun with it. One thing I really enjoy though is the flight of the single rotor, so I would like to build a ship that I can fly for fun, not hard 3d, but must be able to handle smooth flying 3d with loops, rolls, inverted stuff etc. I am looking for a very good headspeed envelope, with an emphasis on slower smooth headspeeds. I would like to add an FPV camera, and a Gopro, and ideally be able to build upon the airframe to add a camera gimbal of some sort to possibly carry a DSLR, although this would be the least important requirement of the airframe. I am thinking the new DJI Naza/GPS FBL system will be a good start. I'll list some requirements:

Long flight times around the 15+-min mark
Vibration manageable
Minimum 690 blades
Able to fly smoothly at a low headspeed, ie 1,000-1,500RPM
Able to fly up to 1,900RPM for smooth mellow 3D flight.
Possibly be able to add and remove canopy for flight, don't need to film with it on.
Ideally run on 12S

I will add that I have had a TDR and a Logo 600SE, which I think are two very strong candidates for the job. I see a lot of folks using the Trex package, but it's been a few years since I have had one, and am not sure about the low headspeed feature.
My thoughts right now are on the 600SE, which is very quiet and smooth (not quite like a TDR), extremely light, not as pricey as a TDR, and readily available. However I have yet to strap a camera to one and am a little leery of how to do so with the frame layout. I have hung a Gopro from the belly of a TDR with 0 mods and it worked great.

I am a firm believer in buying right once, rather than buying twice before I figure it out, ie. buy quality equipment! So I am looking for some thoughts, feedback, ideas, and most importantly I would love to hear what other's are using and what works and doesn't work....Oh, and the Minicopter Diabolo is a potential option as well. Oh Oh, I also have a brand new assembled MA Whiplash Gasser airframe which is another potential option, but vibes and flight times are my two biggest goals.
jakeg1999 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For low vibration an electric wins hands down, however you may struggle a bit with the right combo to get long flight times but it is possible. I built a Trex 700E for Gopro use, I used the Align 800 conversion, and geared it lower. Lower headspeed, very stable, and I get 14 minutes easy. I do, however, think it's possible to get a gasser to carry a vibration absorbing mount and THAT will allow run times exceeding 20 minutes at lower throttle settings. This is actually my next project, but you may want to look at the Trekker 800 as that is what is was designed for.
exhogflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

That is exactly what I started to hope to hear. After my post, I started thinking more and more about it, and I am also struggling with not wanting to sell my Whiplash. Since Vibes aren't super critical for me as far as video footage goes, I am starting to think the Whiplash Gasser may be a good platform. I am mainly looking for FPV and GoPro footage that does not necessarily have to be top of the line video footage. One question I have, does anyone know if I can "hot fuel" a gasser, ie. fuel it while it's still running? This coupled with a generator would give me virtually endless flight time, with the limiting factor being my radio battery.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Check out the Minicopter Diabolo at Peakaircraft.com
rcbirt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hot fueling a gasser...............it's possible but why would you want to? Let's see....we have heat, vibration, spark, and an explosive fuel (gasoline). I would not do it.....not worth losing a heli or perhaps being seriously injured!
exhogflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I completely agree, it was a question based on whether or not the fuel delivery system would allow it. I won't be doing it, I was just curious.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have decided to stick with my MA Whiplash Gasser for the project. Anybody hear anything about running the Naza-H on a Gasser? Being that it's quite new, I can't seem to find any details on the web. I still plan to give it a go though....
Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why is it when people talk about getting long duration from an electric heli, the idea of using two packs in parallel is never discussed. Am I missing something? Seems a heli is easily capable of lifting an extra set of packs, and flight time approaching 30 minutes is very possible with the right setup.

Former Managing Director of Maxxum Robotics Inc.
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rob, I completely agree with you. I believe finding the correct power to weight ratio is the key. I had my Logo 600SE setup to run on 12s at 1200rpm and 1900rpm. My reasons for this was I still wanted to bang the sticks a bit for around 6 min. or so, and I could get just under 18 min. of mellow flying at 1200rpm. I split my flying time 50/50 in each mode. I definitely was not running the most effecient setup for either style I was flying, but I was happy with my setup. It all depends on what you want to do, I know for sure I could have squeezed more time in at 1200rpm with a different setup, and likewise at the 1900 rpm. It all comes down to power to weight ratio for your specific needs. A couple years back when I first started flying my Logo, there were a couple threads over on RR about doing exactly what you said. If I can remember correctly they were getting way past the 20 min mark. In regards to voltage and mah capacity it also comes down to the power/weight ratio here as well, so you are certainly correct in your observation, however for my application I was going for a middle of the road setup...However, off to gas for me....gonna give it my first attempt....
Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Aerial rig

I personally started out with zip tying a gopro to my Trex 450...then it all started. I have now made a custom mount for my two Trex 550's complete with vibration dampening mounts and shocks. Then I got a Trex 600 and have a photoship one FMTS mount system with their 2XPT gimbal mounted. And am deciding now if I want to convert my 700 to an 800 or just upgrade to an 800 for the lower headspeed and get their new gimbal system with APS gyro. I have several videos on youtube all shot with my Trex 550's. I'm working on some new stuff now with the 600. I'm actually filming for a motorcross company now and getting paid for it. Love having a hobby that I can get paid to do.
Here's my youtube
http://www.youtube.com/feed/?feature=guide
and my vimeo
https://vimeo.com/#/home/myvideos
leadwake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg1999 View Post
I have decided to stick with my MA Whiplash Gasser for the project. Anybody hear anything about running the Naza-H on a Gasser? Being that it's quite new, I can't seem to find any details on the web. I still plan to give it a go though....
I am in the middle of installing a Naza-H on my Bergen Observer gasser. Should be flying in a week.
flim63 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I look forward to your feedback. I almost pulled the trigger on one yesterday until I read online somewhere that DJI said to only use them on Electrics. I hope it works well ad its the direction I want to go. Gonna start with a Vbar for now.

Jake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in