Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Alarm at start.

Hi gurus. I almost flew my g700 today on previously flown packs. I have a sensor that can tell me pack voltage. Great. So I set the alarm to go off at a voltage of a depleted state of 46 volts (12s pack). Well all was great till about 2 minutes into the flight when the voltage alarm started going off due to maneuvers temporarily dropping the voltage to 46-45 volts.

What I want to do is have some way the radio will sound an alarm if I try to hook up drained packs but not sound due to regular voltage intensive moves in flight.

Thoughts?

Bubba.
Bubbasanjohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Set a low voltage alarm to say 49V and have that alarm only active when throttle hold or throttle cut is on.

This way when you first connect the main pack and throttle hold is on you will have an immediate alarm if the pack is less than 4.1V/cell.
Jeti DC-16

Last edited by Kiba; 01-13-2014 at 12:02 PM..
Kiba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kiba,

I would really like to add an accidental dead pack alarm to my configurations.

Right now I don't know a way to configure this.

If you've found one, I'd love to know how you did it!
Old 01-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

46V is way too high, the voltage alarms are not a gas gauge, they're alarms to tell you to get your heli down on the ground ASAP. At 46V you're going to constantly be setting that off, rendering it useless.

I set mine at 3.4V*cell count, so 40.8V for a 12S. Under load 3.4V I still have time to land. I've never alarmed my 12S machines, but I took an extra 45 seconds of flight on a 6S once and got it to go off. Battery and heli survived fine and I learned not to ignore my timers.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylence519 View Post
46V is way too high, the voltage alarms are not a gas gauge, they're alarms to tell you to get your heli down on the ground ASAP.
Unless you do as Kiba suggested. I have separate "throttle hold" (for autos) and "throttle cut" (for safety) switches. I configured my transmitter to require "throttle cut" to be engaged upon startup (it's a mechanically locking switch) and then set a Mezon alarm at 49.5V that's only active in "throttle cut." The idea is to prevent a flight on a pack that accidentally didn't get recharged. I'd like to say that would never happen to me but Kiba watched me do it once on my TDR...
Quote:
Battery and heli survived fine and I learned not to ignore my timers.
A Mezon (or other Jeti-compatible ESC monitor such as JLog) makes timers pretty much obsolete. It's much better to fly to capacity alarms rather than timers. My flight times can be all over the map depending on wind conditions and my general "state of mind."
Old 01-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I remember that Brent... and I'm still amazed that pack came back to life.

I do the same thing on my Jeti, I have both throttle hold (3 position-- hold, bailout-hold, fly) and throttle cut. Throttle cut being engaged is a condition at TX startup. When throttle cut is engaged there is an alarm for the main pack <49.2V so there is immediate notification at power-up if an already-flown pack is connected.

You don't necessarily have to use throttle cut-- you could assign another 2 position switch just for the initial low pack alarm and make it a startup condition requiring that particular switch be enabled at TX startup.
Jeti DC-16
Kiba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
I remember that Brent... and I'm still amazed that pack came back to life.
Still as strong as the other pack! Those Thunderpower 65C packs were sure pricey "back in the day" when I first purchased them but they've held up great.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
II do the same thing on my Jeti, I have both throttle hold (3 position-- hold, bailout-hold, fly) and throttle cut. Throttle cut being engaged is a condition at TX startup. When throttle cut is engaged there is an alarm for the main pack <49.2V so there is immediate notification at power-up if an already-flown pack is connected.
How are you making an alarm dependent on the flight mode?

I see an Activation Switch under a Telemetry Alarm.

Does that enable and disable an alarm from firing?
Old 01-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

it enables it. For now I have a logical switch set up that only arms when throttle (collective) is at full neg throw. I do like the idea of putting it on the TH switch and make it non repeating.
Bubbasanjohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane View Post
Unless you do as Kiba suggested. I have separate "throttle hold" (for autos) and "throttle cut" (for safety) switches. I configured my transmitter to require "throttle cut" to be engaged upon startup (it's a mechanically locking switch) and then set a Mezon alarm at 49.5V that's only active in "throttle cut." The idea is to prevent a flight on a pack that accidentally didn't get recharged. I'd like to say that would never happen to me but Kiba watched me do it once on my TDR...
I guess... I've stupidly flown a dead pack on accident before too, and only got a few seconds of flight until the alarm went off... Minor nuisance and nothing damaged. The extra heads up would be nice, might give it a try.

Quote:
A Mezon (or other Jeti-compatible ESC monitor such as JLog) makes timers pretty much obsolete. It's much better to fly to capacity alarms rather than timers. My flight times can be all over the map depending on wind conditions and my general "state of mind."
Oh absolutely, that's why I said it wasn't a gas gauge. After I got my first Mezon it was game over, going all Mezon bit by bit as I can. I still have timers, but I couldn't tell you why, just habit I guess.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have timers, but they don't count down, they just let me know how long my flight was.

That can be a cool thing when you are flying low head speeds and have really long flights that you only feel comfortable doing with telemetry.

I've got mine configured now to warn me with "Empty Battery" when the TH is on and the Voltage is a down pretty low.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

cool ideas - I do have the battery voltage on display but as funny as it was my son took a flight with an empty pack. Flying based on consumption now actually completely emptied the pack. I noticed the drop of power watching him but - battery was down at 3V per cell. Battery seems to be OK but still will setup a warning based on TH position going forward.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I usually land with TH so I guess I would get a low voltage warning at the END of the flight?

It would be nice to have some conditions ONLY checked when first powered on.

I really like the Jeti, just nice to have MORE features :-)
Voyager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can program a sequence that only fires when the transmitter is turned on...

And i think that you could use as the "switch" to trigger your low voltage alarm.

So.. With the TX off, get the Heli powered , turn on the transmitter and you can then hear the alarm if your flight pack, is ... Say below 4.1v times the cell count.

I will post how within the hour, my transmitter is not where I am and I want to be sure this will work for your purpose.
Logo 480 XXtreme, Logo 550SX, Logo 690SX, Logo 800 XXtreme, TDR, Minicopter Diabolo 550, Minicopter Triabolo, Goblin 500, Goblin 700, Goblin 770, KDS Agile 5.5, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, HD Cell 500, Thunder Tiger E700
taosgraveyard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosgraveyard View Post
You can program a sequence that only fires when the transmitter is turned on... And you can use that to trigger your low voltage alarm.

So.. Withe the TX off, get the Heli powered , turn on e transmitter and you can then hear the alarm...

I will post how within the hour, my transmitter is not where I am and I want to be sure this will work for your purpose.
I would love to see how you do this for selected Model announcement purposes.

However since your transmitter is powered up before you connect your helis batteries I'm very curious how you will make this work for a telemetry based alarm that won't have data until after the heli is powered up.

Either way I have a use for what you are preparing to post!

Thanks!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I cant remember where i found this idea, but i didnt discover it. I have posted this in the forum a couple times, and probably found it somewhere here or on the German jeti forum.

It's pretty easy

Set up a sequencer with no steps in it al all... Select the line that says "switch" and press the menu button. Look at the bottom of the page and Scroll to the control that says "log" and press the menu button.

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the logical switches and note that there is one named MAX. Select that as your logical switch to fire the sequencer.

The MAX logical switch fires whenever the transmitter is turned on. Now you have a sequence that will fire whenever thr transmitter is turned on. The sequence can be used as a switch for alarms and for sounds n event

I only have one sequence, its Q1, and its switch is the logical switch MAX. I had been using it to announce the model name, and now I have it to give a warning if the flight pack is not fully charged. And when I have an Rx pack, I will check that too, as an additional alarm

Now go to the alarms page . Create an alarm for the flight pack voltage. In my example I used a 6S helicopter , and I set it so I hear "warning, low voltage" if the voltage is less than 24.6v ( or 4.1 volts per cell). Now go to the bottom of the screen and select the control that has a/b on it, to select the sequence tied to the max switch, in my case its Q1.

you can use this sequence in "sounds on event " to have the transmitter announce the model name. I have a recoding for each model, so I audibly am told what model is current, and I take a look at the helicopter to see if I am using the right model for the helipteri am going to fly)

I gave my " model announcement" sound on event ( also fired on sequence q1) a delay of 4 seconds because I want to hear the voltage warning before the model name.

I just tested this and it worked great. Thanks for idea of having a "preflight check" for flight pack voltage
Logo 480 XXtreme, Logo 550SX, Logo 690SX, Logo 800 XXtreme, TDR, Minicopter Diabolo 550, Minicopter Triabolo, Goblin 500, Goblin 700, Goblin 770, KDS Agile 5.5, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, HD Cell 500, Thunder Tiger E700
taosgraveyard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is brilliant can't wait to try it. I am doing the model name with a different approach but the low voltage alarm is nice.
Still would be good if Jeti would give us a possibility to announce the name based on the Rx that is in the model, because any other way right now is just a recording of the name based on the model programmed in the TX. There is still a possibility to go wrong
Old 01-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you sir!

I'm looking forward to setting this up!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very Cool!

You need to set the sequencer time to something past 0 and press the "+" for it to work as advertised.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does this work if you turn the transmitter on before the heli?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Jotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in