Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2008, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default need power supply help

Sorry I didn't know where else to ask about powersupplies so I thought I'd ask in the charger thread. I am looking for someone that knows about electronics and powersupplies..

My problem is this. I have two chargers; A Triton (v1), and a polycharge 4 so that I can charge 5 batteries at the same time. The problem seems to be I can't get a powersupply to hold a high enough voltage to run both chargers at the same time. I've tried two powersupplies so far. One was something I ordered on ebay that is a 12V 10Amp powersupply. The other is a PC powersupply I converted to use for my chargers. It's a decent 300w PC powersupply and the writing on the side says that +12V should be able to handle 15Amps. So I can't figure out why I can't run my chargers on this thing because it's losing so much voltage.

Any help or recomendations would be greatly appreciated.
princew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Your voltage is simply dropping below the threshold as your PS outputs are going to drop voltage as your demand increases.
I've cheated a bit and paralleled two 12V 7A gel cell type batteries inline between the PS and chargers for the extra 'Omph'..
My converted pc PS is a 500W Antec, idle voltage is 12.38vdc, as soon as I connect a charger and charge a 6S pack, the voltage drops to 11.8vdc.
As neither charger you are using needs 'clean' filtered DC to function, look at an auto battery charger of 20A or so. The idle output voltage is 14.7vdc, and under a 20A load will drop to around 13.2vdc.
WayneBrown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cool thanks for the help. Turns out the powersupply I ordered is working perfectly. At first I thought it was broken, but it ended up being the input power volt selector was set to 220V instead of 110V.. duhh. Never thought to check that heh.. Also the small flat style power supplies conveniently usually have a pot which you can use to alter the voltage usually up to 14V or so. So with that dialed in correctly I can power up just about anything now . I ordered a small led voltage display I am going to put on the banana plug power strip I made to show the current voltage in case I ever need to tune it on the powersupply.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

To get more voltage out of the 12v on the PC power supply you need to load the 5V lineas you increase the 5v load the 12v voltage will creep up and not sag so much when you load it up. But a power supply like the one you got from Ebay is a better idea.
falconea45 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconea45 View Post
To get more voltage out of the 12v on the PC power supply you need to load the 5V lineas you increase the 5v load the 12v voltage will creep up and not sag so much when you load it up. But a power supply like the one you got from Ebay is a better idea.
That's cool I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip. I did have a 10 watt, 10 ohm wire wound load resistor (sandbar type) on the 5 volt line, but apparently that wasn't enough heh.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Just make sure the wattage of the resistors you use is a high as you can get without going mad. You can get resistors like the one you are using in 25Watt and they will run much cooler

10 ohms at 5v= 0.5A = 2.5watts you should probably go down to about 2 or 3 ohms.
2 ohms at 5v= 2.5 amps =12.5watts.
I have one with 0.3 ohms at 5v= 16.6 a = 83.5 watts so I use 3 X 1 ohm at 40 watts each=120w so they run at about 69% of capacity heat wise and do not get too hot.
Good luck experiment and see how low you need to go to keep the 12 v line up to 12v with your load.
falconea45 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in