Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align Gel Tape + Double Sided Tape

Greetings all, I'm after opinions on my thought. I'm relocating BX on my rebuild project 300,

and yes I did read the thread on this "to relocate or not to relocate"but I just want to try it out.

Anyway I've found the Align gel isn't sticky enough and though I think it'll be fine with a cable tie to

actually secure it I was thinking of sandwiching the Gel tape with some sticky double sided tape. Will this

make the platform on which the BX sits on too fat or high do you think, remembering it'll have to be

dbl side tape/aln gel tp/ dbl sided tp and then BX .

Thanks for your thoughts and guidence.
347mont is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm thinking that too much thickness of tape/gel/whatever is going to let your ar7200bx "rock" around on top of it under vibration and G loading and make your heli do weird things. Of course, strapping it down is quite a different matter, but if you're going to strap it down you might as well leave it inside the frame. Quite a few folks are using one layer of 4011 Scotch/3M double sided tape to mount on the top and are having great luck with it. I'm actually using one layer of 4010 (not highly recommended) and it seems to be working pretty well, though I think I'm going to 4011 myself shortly.
For the record, I don't think relocating the ar7200bx to the top of the frame has any noticeable adverse effect.
65L88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Align gel tape needs to be firmly strapped down to work properly. Just tie it down firmly with a nytie, same as stock. If you do this and the rest of your heli is properly setup, you're going to be one happy chappy!

The main advantage of the gel tape it that it helps to kill most vib-related problems with this sometimes hard to get completely vib-free heli.

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah thats what I was thininking TOM. I'll go the cable tie for sure had 1 as a trial and it was solid. I'm thinking of putting

a second tie on but I'll have to file a bit of the frame where it has that radius. I'll file a flat section for

the 2nd tie then round the corner so it won't split through movement and vibration. Hope that makes sense and you can visulaize it.

Little Update.

To be honest I don't trust the gel tape if mounting the BX on top of that little ledge.ITs just not sticky enough. I'm thinking a couple

of drops of CA glue, not too much, if needs to come off I can just pull it off and sand the gel tape off the frame and BX ???

Ties will be ok but theres not enough meat for them to really hold it down tight IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65L88 View Post
For the record, I don't think relocating the ar7200bx to the top of the frame has any noticeable adverse effect.
Yes I agree and on the thread that was discussing this mod some people reverted to stock position, Im just doing it for looks, access and to try it and see which I prefer.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347mont View Post
Yeah thats what I was thininking TOM. I'll go the cable tie for sure had 1 as a trial and it was solid. I'm thinking of putting

a second tie on but I'll have to file a bit of the frame where it has that radius. I'll file a flat section for

the 2nd tie then round the corner so it won't split through movement and vibration. Hope that makes sense and you can visulaize it.
Don't worry about putting 2 ties on imho. Just put one on 'firmly' like the stock one, that's all you need. If you over-tie it down with 2 ties you may lose some of the vib-killing, but I'm not 100% sure since I've never tried it. My ar7200bx tilts/leans 'very' slightly forward with a single tie but this does not seem to make any diff.

Just go for it and let us know how well it all went, lol!

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK I've went with just the gel tape in the topmount position and 2 cable ties. Seems pretty secure and

will try it out like that.I also ended up cutting frame out a bit so ties can secure the BX. That big radius

was prevent this the way I saw it. I got the Scorp 2213-14 in and IceLite50 mounted. Now I'm just waiting for my

pinons and Hitec servos to arrive. I hope it'll be before Christmas. 130 out of action too so I've only got

the 450X to fly which is a little big for the park 1 minute walk from my house but I just take it easy.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The irony of the Align gel tape is, it requires (in most cases) being strapped down by a medium that has the potential to introduce vibes that the tape was intended to isolate. If the gel tape/nytie combo doesn't work to your satisfaction, try putting neoprene fuel tubing over the nytie where it contacts your ar7200bx and see if that helps isolate the vibes. Try varying degrees of firmness/looseness and see if it makes a difference. Good luck, and let us know if it works for you.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you. Always good tips and tricks here on the forums. It sounds like that would work. I'll get back with the result

but it may be after Christmas as I'm waiting for parts and its a busy time for the posty this time of the year.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mounted my 7200BX on top using Scotch 4011 tape.

It's "ON THERE" like it was welded...no ziptie needed.
Drev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drev View Post
Mounted my 7200BX on top using Scotch 4011 tape.

It's "ON THERE" like it was welded...no ziptie needed.
The 4011 seems to be the most generally accepted medium for mounting on the top of the frame...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in