Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Matos View Post
Hi,

You can charge one pack from 6S to 10S or two packs of up to 5S on each channel, they do not have to be the same cell count or capacity. He was inquiring about charging 3 3S packs.
That's what I'm asking..if he runs the 3 3S packs as one 9S pack then can't it be charged threw the harness he is using to run it as one 9S pack and thus be able to charge all three 3S packs at one time threw one channel?
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbill242000 View Post
That's what I'm asking..if he runs the 3 3S packs as one 9S pack then can't it be charged threw the harness he is using to run it as one 9S pack and thus be able to charge all three 3S packs at one time threw one channel?
I don't think he can plug in the balancing plugs into the cards and therefore he can't charge this configuration.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone seen a change in the resistance readings on the 10S? Mine in the last few days is showing the number one cell reading three to four times higher than the other cells in the pack.

at first I thought I had a pack going bad, but soon realized this reading is showing up on every pack I own (12 packs covering two, three and four cells). every pack when charged shows three or four times higher resistance in the number one cell only.

I've tried different connector leads and even went back to a previous firmware, but these things haven't helped. any ideas?
astroflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine is working fine on firmware V2.20, hope you can get this sorted out.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:03 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply. I had been using firmware 2.20 when the problem first started, and thought that might be the problem, but moving back to 2.18 shows it wasn't the firmware. puzzling.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe Howard will have some advise on your issue.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOPPER PATROL View Post
I don't think he can plug in the balancing plugs into the cards and therefore he can't charge this configuration.
That makes sence. Howard didn't say it that way before.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:01 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbill242000 View Post
That makes sence. Howard didn't say it that way before.
Thanks, it makes sense to me. I have tried to charge batteries on this charger without using the balancing ports and it won't work. Although I have a Thunder Power 610 charger that will charge directly through the discharge plug on the batteries without using the balancing port/plug. If the CP10S would do this than you could charge the nine cells connected together with an appropriate pigtail and then plugged into the discharge leads.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroflyer View Post
Has anyone seen a change in the resistance readings on the 10S? Mine in the last few days is showing the number one cell reading three to four times higher than the other cells in the pack.

at first I thought I had a pack going bad, but soon realized this reading is showing up on every pack I own (12 packs covering two, three and four cells). every pack when charged shows three or four times higher resistance in the number one cell only.

I've tried different connector leads and even went back to a previous firmware, but these things haven't helped. any ideas?
Hi,

It sounds like you may have a bad connection on your adapter. What adapter are you using? Please send me a PM with your address and I will send out a replacement.
Howard Matos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Many thanks sir. That's first class support! pm sent.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Why only 1A when finishing the second pack?

Howard,

Question on the 10s two pack behavior. I understand that the 2nd pack in a two pack charge finishes at 1A, but my question is why?

There are 2 channels of balance connectors as well as discharge lead connectors, it would seem the 10s could charge each channel uncoupled from the other. There is mention in the manual (pg 3) of the 2 packs being connected in series by internal switches and treated as a single pack. That implies they can be disconnected and charged separately, yes?

Also, if the max charge rate through the balance connectors is 4A, why does the charge on the 2nd pack max out at 1A when the first one finishes?

I'm trying to pick my first "big" ( >6s ) charger, and like a lot of folks, find myself doing some waffling here. I'm on board with FMAs charge balancing approach and just bought a Cellpro 4s as a stopgap while I agonize over the bigger purchase.

Thank you for your time on the forum here.

Erik
yellowbillycat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbillycat View Post
Howard,

Question on the 10s two pack behavior. I understand that the 2nd pack in a two pack charge finishes at 1A, but my question is why?

There are 2 channels of balance connectors as well as discharge lead connectors, it would seem the 10s could charge each channel uncoupled from the other. There is mention in the manual (pg 3) of the 2 packs being connected in series by internal switches and treated as a single pack. That implies they can be disconnected and charged separately, yes?

Also, if the max charge rate through the balance connectors is 4A, why does the charge on the 2nd pack max out at 1A when the first one finishes?

I'm trying to pick my first "big" ( >6s ) charger, and like a lot of folks, find myself doing some waffling here. I'm on board with FMAs charge balancing approach and just bought a Cellpro 4s as a stopgap while I agonize over the bigger purchase.

Erik
Even with your hesitation and valid questions, I am very happy with my CP10S. They are constantly upgrading the firmware which increases its capabilities and I will watch for Howard's reply to your questions. Maybe someday the 1Amp max on second pack could be increased.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbillycat View Post
Howard,

Erik
Hi,

The reason is, although the Cellpro 10S is very capable of charging 2 pack at once, and the packs can be of different cell counts and capacity, there is only one charge circuit. What happens when you have a mismatch of capacity or cell count, the smaller pack will finish charging first. The charger then goes into a bypass mode (as if a pack was out of balance) to finish the second pack. We have the fastest bypass or balance current on the market today (1 amp). If your packs are close to the same capacity and cell count, this is not even an issue. The reason we designed the charger this way was to design a superior product and keep the cost as low as possible so it appeals to all. To double up on the charge circuit is the same as putting 2 chargers in the same case, double the components, and double the price.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Howard,

Thanks, I think understand the two pack behavior now. Cellpro 10s sort of behaves like 1.5 chargers, if you will; one charge circuit, but the FMA charge balance / bypass balance approach allows separate balancing, monitoring, and 1A charging of the 2 packs (i.e. it reports separate pack voltages, mAh put in, etc.), correct?

One last question then. The manual mentions that in 2 pack charging the packs are balanced separately. Can it charge and balance two idential packs (say 2 4s lipos flown in series as 8s) as a single pack? Sort of the approach one can use in putting 2 3s packs on a "regular" charger in series and charging as a 6s. I guess what I'm getting at is I can see benefits from balancing separately as the manual mentions (say my identical trex450 packs that are all flown in a similar manner), and balancing 2 packs together when they are flown together in series.

Thanks again,

Erik
yellowbillycat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Howard,

Thanks, I think understand the two pack behavior now. Cellpro 10s sort of behaves like 1.5 chargers, if you will; one charge circuit, but the FMA charge balance / bypass balance approach allows separate balancing, monitoring, and 1A charging of the 2 packs (i.e. it reports separate pack voltages, mAh put in, etc.), correct?
You can charge up to 3C manually or automatic. Both packs will receive this current until the first pack is nearly completed. At that point the current is bypassed to 1 amp to finish the 2nd pack. (FYI - You will see the charger start to balance cells almost instantly when the charge has started. You will notice the individual cell bypass will fluctuate up and down during the charge.)

You have a choice in the way you want the charger to balance your packs. You can have the charger charge and balance each pack separately or you can select to balance as one pack. This answers your next questions.

Quote:
One last question then. The manual mentions that in 2 pack charging the packs are balanced separately. Can it charge and balance two idential packs (say 2 4s lipos flown in series as 8s) as a single pack?
Yes.

Quote:
Sort of the approach one can use in putting 2 3s packs on a "regular" charger in series and charging as a 6s. I guess what I'm getting at is I can see benefits from balancing separately as the manual mentions (say my identical trex450 packs that are all flown in a similar manner), and balancing 2 packs together when they are flown together in series.

Thanks again,

Erik
Old 10-25-2008, 02:16 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

edit

other than that I love my 10s!!

Never mind, it was a usb issue and not an issue the the software....

Last edited by hooked124; 10-26-2008 at 08:23 AM..
hooked124 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am having trouble getting the CP10S to charge my 6S Outrage pack which has the same node connectors as Thunder Power batteries. I am trying to charge it by itself and have the discharge leads connected to the outer most bannana jacks. I have two CP10S-TP/PQ6S adapters, and I continually get error codes, usually #86. I have tried to connect this pack to ch. 1 discharge and both nodes to ch. 1 card, I have also tried ch.1 discharge and ch. 1 & 2 node cards with no luck. I am using firmware V2.21 Please help.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOPPER PATROL View Post
I am having trouble getting the CP10S to charge my 6S Outrage pack which has the same node connectors as Thunder Power batteries. I am trying to charge it by itself and have the discharge leads connected to the outer most bannana jacks. I have two CP10S-TP/PQ6S adapters, and I continually get error codes, usually #86. I have tried to connect this pack to ch. 1 discharge and both nodes to ch. 1 card, I have also tried ch.1 discharge and ch. 1 & 2 node cards with no luck. I am using firmware V2.21 Please help.
Hi,

You need to connect the adapter as follows:

Connect the left pigtail (no sticker) to channel 1.
Connect the right pigtail (marked 6S only) to channel 2.
Connect your pack to the 6S set of connectors on the adapter (TP side).

If you plan on charging over 4 amps, then connect your discharge leads to the 2 outside banana jacks. This would be the negative of channel 1 and the positive of channel 2.

The adapter/balance leads are always connected. You cannot charge through the discharge leads alone. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can the 30 second charge termination alarm be shortened? (Why so freakin' long?!) I saw that you guys added the ability to lower the volume, but I don't know if it can be shortened. That's the single annoyance stopping me from ordering.
rcboosted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like the 10s and I like to fly a lot LOL, so have three -but one seems to charge different from the others, it chargers and balances just fine but dose so real quick and runs way hotter than the other two. The heat is quite noticeable even to touch, and even at a lowish charge current, if I up the charge rate it soon errors with CODE 00 . Thats not listed in the manual , the strange thing is that I can charge two 5s packs( flown together as a 10s) on separate chargers at the same rate, yet the hot running charger finishes way before, even with a 5s charge at 6amps it's running real hot, if I plug both 5s packs in and try and charge as a 10s it overheats real quick.

Any ideas...!

Fantastic charger though.
markjj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in