Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDS Helicopters General Discussion > KDS Innova 700, 600, 550, 450

KDS Innova 700, 600, 550, 450 KDS Innova 700, 600, 550, 450 Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The real problem is that I have become "fly-shy" on the KDS450, even though it's small (the reason I bought it) compared to my old and no-longer-airworthy "full-size nitro models". Walk-in-the-park, I thought as an old beggar. Well, even the 450 size has an awesome spool-up and the same care required. Only my v922 (250mm rotor) is REALLY almost care-free. I don't mind admitting any misconceptions.

Hopefully Dr Phil resides here.

(of course, 450-size parts are cheap as things go)
Phecda is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also, I chose a flybar version because, why have the servos working overtime when, as and when I do 3D it will be kinda gentle.

Given the above mechanical issues, I'm now starting to appreciate the potential benefits of "less mechanics" in an FBL.

It's not that I'm scared of ball joints. I still have an old mechanical Hirobo Vertol, which consists of about 68 ball joints flying in close formation. It is FlyBarLess, with the old brass gyro wheels...
http://homepages.vodafone.co.nz/~phad/

So it doesn't impress me just to say "the current manufactured stuff is not airworthy".
Unless you're a manufacturer of course

Some people claim KDS is a clone. I don't care if it's a clone or not. I bought a "metal version" coz that is "obviously" better. And nearly everything is made in China anyway, including my last American-branded fishing rod, and probably my underpants though a check is not scheduled till next month.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Phecda I had a similar attitude to FBL setups which is why I bought a 4503D in the first place. I thought FBL setups were complex, expensive and 'detached' from flybar helis.

Then after watching my friends at the local field, not one of them flew a flybar heli, and their helis looked more dialed in than mine ever did. The tail didn't hold as well, wind upset it a lot more, and far out but are flybars complicated things to set up.

I got the blade 300X to see if I liked FBL setups, and I can honestly say I'll never touch a flybar again. It gives you so much more confidence, and you end up with a heli that flies a lot more like a larger one and handles wind better than the 450 flybar ever could.

Then I crashed the 300X, and it amazed me how simple the repair was. The setup literally took five minutes of my time after rebuilding it, I doubt a flybarred version would be similar.

I subsequently upgraded my 450 to a FBL head and all my future helis will be FBL. The 450 turned into a beast with a FBL head, much faster on the cyclic and feels like it has twice the power with the same motor.

In my opinion, from the 450 size and up helis get dangerous, and require the care of any dangerous machine. I generally have a look at the tail, head and belt of my helis after each day of flying. Once again, better safe than sorry!
Znybar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
Phecda I had a similar attitude to FBL setups which is why I bought a 4503D in the first place. I thought FBL setups were complex, expensive and 'detached' from flybar helis.

Then after watching my friends at the local field, not one of them flew a flybar heli, and their helis looked more dialed in than mine ever did. The tail didn't hold as well, wind upset it a lot more, and far out but are flybars complicated things to set up.

I got the blade 300X to see if I liked FBL setups, and I can honestly say I'll never touch a flybar again. It gives you so much more confidence, and you end up with a heli that flies a lot more like a larger one and handles wind better than the 450 flybar ever could.

Then I crashed the 300X, and it amazed me how simple the repair was. The setup literally took five minutes of my time after rebuilding it, I doubt a flybarred version would be similar.

I subsequently upgraded my 450 to a FBL head and all my future helis will be FBL. The 450 turned into a beast with a FBL head, much faster on the cyclic and feels like it has twice the power with the same motor.

In my opinion, from the 450 size and up helis get dangerous, and require the care of any dangerous machine. I generally have a look at the tail, head and belt of my helis after each day of flying. Once again, better safe than sorry!
Just want to add that the KDS FBL controller is very decent too - especially for the price. With its included LCD programming box, it couldn't be easier to set up and I've found it to be very tolerant of vibration. Obviously, of course one should strive to get rid of vibrations, but it doesn't have nasty habits like violently sending the helicopter into a death roll because of a vibration, like one well known brand does. At $149, its a really underappreciated sleeper.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah. And thanks.

The Vertol, flybarless with a mechanical gyro on elevator, suffered from severe pitch-up oscillations in forward flight. I even read flybarless (left alone) suffers this trait, on this forum I think. Though I don't doubt modern electronics fixes that.

As to costs (FBL was 20% more expensive RTF), my stupidity makes me laugh now. I already spent about as much as the heli on "parts" (cases, tools, batteries, chargers, some spare parts) without even an accident.

I mean, Potential Stupidity...:-)
Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

what do you mean "potential" ?
In my case this is an absolute certainty! Are you guys down there so much different ?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well the beauty of FBL is that it's not a fortune of a heli upgrade. Once you get to control the 450 to a point where you want more everything (power, control, wind behaviour, speed), FBL is the way to go.
Znybar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 04:18 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

The joys and absolute need dor a thorough first pre flight and plenty loctite bro :-) and a big thumbs up for the quote, oh so true!

Fair skies and happy landings!
clinton south africa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in