Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default My charger/battery storage box.....

I've read several posts in the past few months about charging stations and battery storage so I decided it would be a good idea to make one, especially since I mentioned to my wife that lipo batteries can start fires and she got all freaked out that the house was going to burn down even though I assured her that I never charge the batteries unattended. Still it's better to be safe than sorry.

So here's what I came up with using some ideas from a couple other posts. I started with 2 HP server power supplies and set them up in series for 25.31 volts (thanks to Chris, aka TJINGuy). I then mounted them in the bottom of a steel tool box from Lowe's. Since the Hyperion EOS0615 Duo 3+ didn't fit in the tray that came with the tool box, I removed it and made another out of a piece of aluminum plate I removed from a server cabinet. (it's always a good idea to keep an eye on the dumpster at work. You'd be surprised what they throw out).

Now I can store the batteries in the bottom of the box and when it's time to charge I can just plug everything in and charge 2 batteries at a time on the tray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0908.JPG
Views:	1947
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	223151   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0903.JPG
Views:	2189
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	223152   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0907.JPG
Views:	1937
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	223153   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0906.JPG
Views:	2049
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	223154  

"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying, and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun"
Hekicopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I like the simple, basic, functional setup. Very nicely done and I don't say that very often.
Stuff: Spektrum DX7 - iCharger 208B - Hyperion G3
TJinGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Very nice. I'd like to do something like this myself.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

thats a nice setup, rich. did the p/s come with those jacks on them? id love to do something like that, but my soldering skills are not very good.

thanks for all the input guys. good stuff!

rob
guitarherowanab is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks Rob,

I added those plugs to the supplies. Where you see the red tape covering the openings is where the "hot Swap" boards were. I removed them and added the plugs for the outputs.

"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying, and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun"
Old 04-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well done Rich, I admire a good looking job/project.. I especially like the way its fire proof. I worry more than I should about burning down my place.. I get side tracked easily and sometime forget that Ive got batteries cooking... Hope you wont mind if I use your ideas towards my own build.

Cheers & Regards,
Rick
CyberPlainsDrifter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPlainsDrifter View Post
Well done Rich, I admire a good looking job/project.. I especially like the way its fire proof. I worry more than I should about burning down my place.. I get side tracked easily and sometime forget that Ive got batteries cooking... Hope you wont mind if I use your ideas towards my own build.

Cheers & Regards,
Rick
I don't mind at all. They say copying is the sincerest form of flattery..

Old 08-05-2011, 02:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you guys have workshops or something to cut this stuff?

I've seen many cases with custom cut aluminum, plexiglass or wood. You need a lathe for that crap or what?

I'm really not that handy when it comes to physical construction.
What can the poor computer nerd do that has no building skills?

I need a charger case BAD.

clank72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by clank72 View Post
Do you guys have workshops or something to cut this stuff?

I've seen many cases with custom cut aluminum, plexiglass or wood. You need a lathe for that crap or what?

I'm really not that handy when it comes to physical construction.
What can the poor computer nerd do that has no building skills?

I need a charger case BAD.

Well , Im sure some of us have tools that aid in the construction of such devices.
I personally have a CNC router table at my disposal so cutting plex, wood, aluminum and various other materials is as simple as drawing something in a cad program or even illustrator....

Maybe if you talked nice to someone here, they might even help you out...

What do you figure you need?
CyberPlainsDrifter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 12:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Clank, there's a pilot (snjbird) that will build you a case. It's not going to be cheap but he'll build it to your requested (or his suggested) specifications. I've seen several that he's done for others and they are nice.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Big thanks to pctomlin I basically would have not done this build without his posts, I would also like to thank DoctorJ, on his use of the lowes toolbox and top. I can say this was a pretty indepth project from getting everything I needed to finish. I did a couple things that I have not seen done... 1. I found the connectors that would be used on the back plane of the server and soldered to those instead straight to the heatsinks. I did this incase one dies I didn't want to have to solder again just take out some screws put a new one in and you are ready. 2. I didn't open the one end of the box completely up I cut 6 holes 4 of which are for the fans and 2 for the plugs. I found some 60mm covers that fit perfect minus a little plastic trimming around the 2 sides that butt to the outlets. I am going to put switches in but I did something that I think is cool for that and just don't have them yet... I will update once those are in. I am also going to do something with the plexi top just don't have that all worked out, a guy in our club has a laser cutter/ingraver all you gaui fans look out for what I do there . Over all I am very happy I have 2 sets of 24v and 2 sets of 12v outlets for my 306b & tp610c, along with anyone that is looking to give their charger some power at the field or indoor. I did go with some high end banana jacks from DigiKey rated at 30A I couldn't find anything that was near a solid as these locally and we have a Frys in town along with high end audio most of them just said they are standard and after getting these I am glad I did. here is a link to them http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ds=501-1316-ND I used 8AWG on all 24v connections along with the mains on the 12v till I split then I used 10AWG. Bought the wire from HobbyKing and EPbuddy... I would recommend using EPBuddy when you figure the final cost its so cheap and you get it within 3 days really great service by them look for their balance boards too very solid designs! While I enjoyed the build I am really happy its over cutting that tool box was some detail cutting, at times I questioned why I didn't just cut two big holes!

Last edited by whippo; 01-01-2012 at 10:56 PM..
whippo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just $11.00 my Charger Station

KS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0079.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	278395   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0080.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	278396   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0081.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	278397   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0082.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	278398   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0084.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	278399  

Name:	DSC_0085.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	278400   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0086.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	278401   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0089.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	278406   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0088.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	278407  
Old 03-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't have a charging case, but I did make myself a 24V power supply last week. Maybe I'll put it in a case later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in