Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 12:45 AM   #61 (permalink)

Bob, just received the PCB's today....they look damn nice,,,

I need a better cam to do justice......
HeliBurns is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just put my BEC on my Trex, the extra plug extension with the 5.1 sticker on the back needs to be plugged inline also or is that for a special set up?
Spek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #63 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

???? No clue what your asking.....

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

No worries Bob, I did word that pretty bad:wink:. After I wrote it I figured out it was a regulater harness wire to use incase the tail sevo couldn't handle the 6 volts, you could use the adapter to got down to 5.1.
Spek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #65 (permalink)

Default Why the need for a BEC

The WWW is great, I came here to post a question about this and found a thread on it!

I have a Trx 450 with an Align ESC (BL35G) a DX7 Trans and AR6100 Rec. I guess my bottom line question is why do I need a BEC?

I'm having an issue with the receiver shutting down and resetting (takes about 5 seconds at which point it has crashed). I called Horizon and they said put in a BEC, but shucks if the ESC has one why add another?

I looked back in this thread and saw the possibility of binding causing a glitch, but I can't find anything wrong with linkages or servos, the thing flys great until the damm thing decides to shut down. I crash enough on my own, I don't need it to crash on its own!!
bonanza34g is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 06:12 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

The problem is, some BECs in the ESC have limited capacity, especially when running 3S packs. It sems that some are rated at 2S, not 3S, and linear regualtors have LESS capacity as the input voltage goes up.

So the voltage can rop under load.

BUT, this time of year, due to driness, you could be running into ESD (static/spark) problems.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #67 (permalink)

Default BEC didn't fix my problem.

Well dang, I installed the BEC and 2 minutes into the next flight, the glitch happend again with the usual crash landing.

What else might be going on, could the battery be bad?
bonanza34g is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default "New"?

Will the name of this thread still include the word "New" years from now?
dogfart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #69 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default CC BEC

Bob,
I'm more confused now than ever. I have a 450se V2 w/ DS285MG and a 401 w/ 3400g. From what I have read I can possibly draw more amps than my stock ESC can deliver to the rx. I bought a CC BEC a month ago but have not installed it yet. I did check it out and it is a new one that dose not cause a binding issue w/ the AR6200. Should I install this or not and do I need to remove the power wire from the ESC?
Montana_Reefer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #70 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

TO install it or not is up to you! If you feel worried about the internal BEC then go for it. Yes you would need to pull the red wire from your ESC as you dont want two BEC's driving the RX especially if they are outputting a different voltage like 5V vs 6V.

Bob
Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #71 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Thanks Bob,
I think what I've been worried about is the glitch in the 2.4 systems and pulling too much power because of the digital servo's causing it to initialize again. Are you saying don't worry about it? Has this been a problem of servo binding and not realy the ESC/BEC? If there is no reason to use the BEC I'll save it for the the next heli.
Montana_Reefer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #72 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I have never needed a external BEC on a 450 but I am also not running those servos. Best to ask in the Trex450 forum.

Bob
Old 02-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default BEC/ESC Joining?

Bob, quick question about the last thing you touched on in this video...

You said that if I needed to I could pull the red wire from the ESC and plug in the red wire from the BEC to join the two connectors together right?

You also said that since the ESC had a signal wire it needed the ground going to the Rx for refrence, so we can't remove the ground from the ESC and have both black+red from BEC joined with Signal from ESC right?

But the BEC doesn't have a signal wire so does it need a ground? If we take the red wire from the BEC and plug it into the ESCs connector then can't we just shrink-cover the BECs ground and leave it unconnected?

Just curious, I have a 9Ch receiver so I have plenty of slots for my BEC.

Retired Helis - Blade CX, Blade CPP, TRex450SE,
cybinary is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

BEC still needs the ground wire connected. Think about it, how well does a battery work with only one terminal connected? Electricity flows in a circle, so you need both leads.

If you run out of slots, use a Y connector to hook the BEC up to any slot. If you use the ESC slot, you can cut the red wire in the Y connector on the leg connected to the ESC.

Do realize, some ESCs require all three wires hooked up since they actually get their power from the BEC also (the power to run the electronics of the ESC, not to run the motor).
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #75 (permalink)

Default newbie

Guys im new here,first post...and im downloading and watching all of these vids but i do have a question,I also build edf jets along with my helis,the current edf im building requires a 4s pack and there for i need an rx pack or a bec,the latter being lighter.the plane is a twinn,is the connection method in this video the same for my edf as well,also i only need one bec even though its a twinn,right.and does it matter which side i connect the bec to.thanks..Chase
chasenichals is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #76 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yes..... same connections and it doesnt matter which pack you connect to.

Bob
Old 04-18-2008, 01:56 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 5v or 6v which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireup View Post
Here are some:

1. You're internal BEC only works on 3s and you want to run 4s or higher.
2. You're internal BEC puts out only 5V and you want to run 6V
4. You're intarnal BEC don't put out enough current for all you servos.
I have the Hobbywing BEC with an Align ESC on my brand new 450SA. I have HS65MG cyclic servos and a Hyperion DS12GCP digital servo for the tail. Should I run 5v or 6v and could someone explain why?

Also I have a Telebee Gyro and I cannot tell which way to orient the plug from the servo in to the Gyro pins. Can someone help?

Thanks

Charosenz
charosenz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2008, 02:26 AM   #78 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

The HS65's will run 6V but I don't know if that specific gyro and tail servo support it. People run 6V because it makes servos faster.

Bob
Old 04-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Will stay with 5v until I see they support 6V

Thanks. I will stay with 5v until I see they support 6v.

Thanks!

Charosenz
charosenz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't seem to upload the videos but I gave the thread a read thru. The pdf of dimentionengineering is clear but it doesn't show exactly what RED wire to pull as it has the bypass thingy. I have an idea on what wire to pull but i wouldn't bet on it.
Hansolo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in