Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 03:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Charger for 6S 5000mah and power supply

6s charger and power options
Hi Guys

I hope you can give me some direction on a charger and power supply for 6S 5000mah.

I have a T Rex 550 DFC and need a decent setup for charging. My old Fusion LX40B is not up to the job.

I have seen a lot of good comments on other threads that the PowerLab 6 is the way to go but not sure about power. Any suggestions?

I am not overly worried about super fast charge times but I want to future proof myself without draining my already empty wallet.

Any response appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 08:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry this is a bit of a canned answer.. but it's a start!

Here are my solutions and also read the sticky (if you haven't).

FMA and iChargers are the tops these days. FMA is known as the brand with the highest quality. I currently love my iChargers 306b and 4010Duo and have no complaints. I use dual deep cycles ($90 each) for 95% of my charging so I can fly and charge at the same time and save money by getting by only 2 lipos per model... really counts when you are using $300 12s stick packs.

Power supplies at www.feathermerchantrc.com are excellent and come ready to go.. these are server supplies.. designed for 24/7/365 use.. very high end. I bought the 24V47A version for home use.

Others prefer FMA so you should hear their feedback soon as well.

What Charger? What Power Supply?
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=476431

My solution for 95% of my charging today.
iCharger 4010 Duo. A little tour of Chernobyl (0 min 56 sec)

I thoroughly enjoy the iCharger DUO's screen and the information they deliver at a glance. There are a number of DUO models now and FMA also makes a PL8 DUO.. excellent charger.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

This guy carries the ready to go DPS 1200 FB A power supplies. They are small and pack a mean punch.
http://m.rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t755984p1/
Comes with 2 12V 75 Amps supplies in series to get 24V 75 Amps 1800 watts on 110V AC power source. I have 2 myself but haven't gotten a charger yet. At 220V which I don't plan to use they'll push 2400 watts.

I've narrowed it down to a PL 8 or icharger 308 Duo but leaning towards the PL-8. The ichargers duo's are beautiful.

The Hyperion EOS720 iNET3 is nice as well. Its a dual 20 amps charger you could easily charge 2 capable 6S 5000 mah lipos at almost 4C in a hurry.

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...FaLm7Aod40gA6w
Old 03-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

the OP is in England, so he's going to have 240V at the wall.
Lucky bloke
Old 03-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

He is a lucky bloke isn't he?

The PL 8 and the icharger will do regenerative discharge which means that if your using deep cycle marine batteries to power your charger like Slyster does you can dump the juice back into the marine batteries instead of wasting all the energy.

Others have come up with creative ways to discharge packs with lights and other energy robbing sources.

I don't see anything about he Hyperion doing regenerative discharge.
The E0S 720 Duo is limited to 40 watts per port, icharge 308 is limited to 80 watts per port or 120 in sync mode for discharge the Pl 8 is limited to 100 watts discharge power. I'm pretty good at never needing to discharge packs but sometimes you still need too.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi All

Thanks for your replays however, I bought a PL6 before you posted your replys (sorry about that). Anyway, could you tell me what power supply would be best suited for this? I am thinking of using the computer servers to manage the power but not sure how to get maximum power from the charger.

I'm thinking cost, it seems cheaper to buy the servers than to buy the proper units, am I cheaping out?

Maximum power and amps to get the most from this charger please.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

[QUOTE=Jaf1987;5743657I'm thinking cost, it seems cheaper to buy the servers than to buy the proper units, am I cheaping out?[/QUOTE]Cheaping out? There is nothing out there that beats the quality and reliability of server power supplies. You wouldn't believe what they cost new.

See post #2 for a great source for power supplies.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Those supplies look good! Do you know which one I will need to maximise the results of the PL6? Im in UK too.

Tags
charger, power, power lab 6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in