Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > X400 and MX400

X400 and MX400 Ark X400 and HeliMax MX400 Helicopters Information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2006, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default PISSED about my X400 / MX400 canopy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After about a week of painting (24 hours between each color and coat)
My canopy still looks like Crappola (besides the point..I am not a painter)

That is not what I am pissed about.

The brains who made this helicopter designed a canopy that does not even bloody fit the bloody helicopter!!!!!!!!
NONE of my servos can move full deflection with the canopy fitted and my collective pitch servo can not move at all.

I already trimmed a lot off the sides so I can have side to dide movement of the swashplate but this is very bad.

This is a known problem by both ARK and Heli-Max and they still ship these kits with canopys that do not fit...screw'em

I eather have to fab up extentions to my canopy posts (wich make the canopy go forward and look very strange), cut a bunch of holes out of the canopy or buy a trex xl canopy.

I'm not happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0041_122.jpg (148.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg dscf0042.jpg (156.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg dscf0043.jpg (150.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg dscf0044.jpg (168.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg dscf0045.jpg (143.4 KB, 131 views)
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi spectre,
How about a Comet canopy. It can swallow an electifly 2100maH(5" long) easily. here is a pic.
WB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mx400-02.jpg (326.3 KB, 149 views)
windbender is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Where did you find said canopy?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Trex cans fit fine. This heli works best with low profile servos.
Don"t make me list 'm all !
Raven_darkcloud is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks R_D
I will look into a trex fiberglass canopy. I use HS-55 servos up front and an HS-50 out back.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

At least with the eCCPM conversion you still have to trim some off the trex fiberglass canopy. I had to trim quite a bit off of it.

The comet canopy looks promising because it looks like they gave plenty of room at the top. If it can also take a 2100mah battery then I am sold... Next time I need a canopy anyway.

I too am surprised that HeliMax still produce the canopy the way they do when most people put 2100mah batteries in them it seems. Anyone know how the mx450 XS canopy fits? Does a 2100mah battery fit in it or is it about the same size as the original?
StatiC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2006, 11:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It can be made to fit with an Apex 2100mha battery but you have to trim out some of the lower canopy and move the mount posts to the aft upper mast bearing support. This idea was passed on from Swatson144 remove the mount posts from their stock location use a spare servo mounting screw with the head cut off to screw part way into the mount post headless end first, secure this with a drop of thin CA. Remove the aft upper mast bearing support screw and screw the mount post into the hole. This mod will move the canopy up and forward allowing the 2100 battery to fit and providing some extra clearance for the aileron servo on the non eccpm version
broncomech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2006, 11:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It looks like the mx450 XS canopy is bigger and might be the canopy I have been looking for. It seems to have more room at the top too since it was made for the eCCPM 450 XS I assume it will fit the layout of the servo rods better. I am not about to spend $25 to find out I am right or wrong though. It will have to wait until my current trex fiberglass canopy gets destroyed(probably never).
Old 09-09-2006, 12:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

duplicate post deleted
Old 09-09-2006, 12:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncomech
It can be made to fit with an Apex 2100mha battery but you have to trim out some of the lower canopy and move the mount posts to the aft upper mast bearing support. This idea was passed on from Swatson144 remove the mount posts from their stock location use a spare servo mounting screw with the head cut off to screw part way into the mount post headless end first, secure this with a drop of thin CA. Remove the aft upper mast bearing support screw and screw the mount post into the hole. This mod will move the canopy up and forward allowing the 2100 battery to fit and providing some extra clearance for the aileron servo on the non eccpm version
Oh... You were talking about the mx450 XS canopy? I assumed you were talking about the comet 500 canopy.

Why didn't they plan ahead of time and make it bigger :/. Same goes for the battery tray. We need a bigger canopy and battery tray HeliMax!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Those two things almost ruin this heli for me.

Funny, they put the smaller canopy on the non-ccpm versions (where you need the extra room) and the new larger canopys are on all the ccpm birds pissed off
Old 09-09-2006, 07:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Oh... You were talking about the mx450 XS canopy?
This works with the stock MX400pro as well as the MX450 canopy I have added an extension to my battery tray to support the entire length of an APEX 2100 and trimmed the lower portion of the canopy to just clear the front gear. I guess I forgot to mention earlier that an extra set of holes were added at the extreme aft edge of the canopy to gain the most room possible, its still a tight fit on the stock canopy but I have had no problems with servo interference with +/- 10 deg pitch.

Quote:
It looks like the mx450 XS canopy is bigger and might be the canopy I have been looking for. It seems to have more room at the top too since it was made for the eCCPM 450 XS I assume it will fit the layout of the servo rods better. I am not about to spend $25 to find out I am right or wrong though. It will have to wait until my current trex fiberglass canopy gets destroyed(probably never).
Try tower for the stock 450 plastic
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXMRF6&P=
I got mine at LHS but have not run it yet as it needs a paint job.
I will post pic once I have enough heli back together to hang the canopy on.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here are the pics of both the stock MX400 and MX450 canopies and the mount relocation.
The MX450 canopy is installed over a 3S PQ2600 which requires use of the aft set of mount holes to clear and a few extra clicks of aft trim for stable hover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canopy-mods.jpg (187.3 KB, 135 views)
Old 10-12-2006, 04:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

use a t-rex canopy
steve28 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 02:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_darkcloud
Trex cans fit fine. This heli works best with low profile servos.
any specific idea on lo profile servos ??? maker , model ??
Old 04-28-2007, 10:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a t-rex se canopy that will not fit on my mx-400 at all. If you upgrade to the ECCPM frame then the t-rex canopy probably fits fine but I had no luck with it. I got a MX-450 and relocated the mounting holes. Works great.

I don't know how much more low profile you can get than hs-55's
L0stS0ul is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in