Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Glow

MA Glow Miniature Aircraft Glow Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Used Fury 55 on the way.. Questions?

Well I picked up a used Fury 55 the will be here tomorrow. I have Two Furion 6's and decided a Nitro version would be nice since many parts are interchangeable.
My primary question is since this is a used Nitro Heli what should I check on it before flying. I am pretty well versed on the Furions but I am unfamiliar with the Nitro mechanics on this one. Anything I should look out for or check? Going to convert it to FBL (Thanks Kevin!) as soon as it arrives.
Will be running full VBAR Pro. What head speeds should I set her up for? As far as my flying style I am just now starting some mild 3D.

I bought a used N5 last month and ended up replacing the starter shaft and clutch almost immediately. Evidently the original shafts were prone to shattering. Discovered this when it would only engage about 1 out of 4 start attempts...

Thanks in advance.

Alan
flyalan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

haven't touched my 55 since I built it.........

But give it a new glow plug so it knows you care
Peter .... Furion 6 FBL ; E,N and G Whiplash FBL ; 2 Spectra G FBL ; Stratus FBL ;MA Extreme+E Razor+N Razor +Fury 55 FBL;xcell 60+xcell 70: TSA 700N & G; TSA 600N Pro & Platinum ; All BeastX ; guided by XPS .
Peter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 Havnt touched mine other then a wipe down after flying.
Fly it before you convert it, If the fan hasn't been lined up or ballanced (or god forbid off centre) it will cause some horendous vibes right in the Vbar sensor wrecking range. Short of crash damage there bullet proof.

Joe
Old 03-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default re

I did some preventative maintenance to my Furry 55 yesterday, inspected to motor, pulled the head and gearing out, removed and inspected the clutch, checked all my bearings, adjusted the belt tension and put everything back together.

No new parts needed. She was in perfect condition minus a little extra Nitro oil that needed to be removed from those hard to reach places. I have about 5 gallons of fuel thru her so far.

Very happy with her

I would look at your clutch liner for wear or damage, bearings, ball links and check all the screws in the frame. Nitro’s have been known to vibrate things apart.

You will not have any issues with the Furry 55. It is built like a tank and is very easy to work on.

A good way to check/work on the electronics is to remove the two bottom screws and loosen the two upper screws on the electronics tray, then flip the tray up and it will expose all the wiring and provide a lot of extra room to work.

I looked at the N5 as well, but I decided against buying one after I realized the N9 was discontinued and no parts were available. That’s a fairly new heli to stop producing parts for.

Get the front mounted Gyro tray upgrade for your FBL unit, it makes wiring a lot easier and keeps the FBL sensor away from the nitro oil.
whittb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for all the tips folks.
The electronics are all mounted to the top of the tray. Well at least the ones I didn't remove once I converted it to FBL and VBar.
I was not aware there is a front gyro plate. May need to look into that. MI went ahead and mounted the sensor on the plate above the tail mount. VBar on top of the electronics tray. Battery (LiFe) also on the tray. Switchglo mounted on the rt side frame as is the tail servo voltage regulator. One sat in the front and one in the rear. Just need to buy pro vbar upgrade so I get the the Gov setup and I'll be ready to go.
I did crank up the motor with the head removed. Started up easily and didn't notice any vibes.
Hope to test fly this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just picked up a Fury 55 this morning, will give it a thorough check and fly it this weekend, very nice looking heli.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is an awesome heli and American made! I visited this forum as well as RR before I got mine and noticed a lack of activity. It is true that MinAir's are not as popular as T-Rex's etc but the real reason why MinAir forums are so calm is that the owners just fly and enjoy them while others have to complain and ask questions about their birds. It was a pleasure to build and I cant wait to get a whiplash next. Well I can wait because we have to ..

MA Fury 55 FBL, JR Vibe 50 FBL, T-Rex 550 3GX V2 FBL, Raptor 30v2
semper_fish is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yes I am liking it so far. Still fly the Furion mostly. Also like my N5. Currently building an E7. Also waiting on a custom Canopy from Canomod to arrive for the Fury. I will have to post pics of that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in