Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters

Walkera Helicopters Walkera Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 60#B Main Gear replacement? too expensive!

The main gear for the Walkera 60#B comes together with the one way bearing, etc,, and it cost $ 17.00 at wowhobbies. (Part number HM-60#B-Z-18 )
Does anybody knows how to get a replacement for only the plastic part (the actual gear)?.
Every crash, even the lightest one, destroys it and I have to replace the whole thing.
Maybe there is a main gear from another heli that fits in,, like Blade 400 etc.

Please help

Manny

MA Furion 450, Mikado Mini V-Bar, Scorpion 2221-8, 13T, CC Ice Lite 75A, --- Walkera 60#B, Stock Motor, Stock Servos, Stock Blades and Futaba GY520 (yes!) Spektrum DX7se.
And, CRAVING for a HENSELEIT TDR!!!!
gobase is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I feel your pain! I had the same issue... after enough crashes, the 60#B was just too expensive to maintain. I was never able to find just the gear.
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes man, this is killing me. 17 bucks min on each crash.
I wont mind modifying the whole thing only If I can get this Main Gear cost go down a little.
I hope someone come up with an idea.
I dont have a Blade 400 handy so I check,,, I wonder about it because some of the parts of the B400 fits into the 60#B.

MA Furion 450, Mikado Mini V-Bar, Scorpion 2221-8, 13T, CC Ice Lite 75A, --- Walkera 60#B, Stock Motor, Stock Servos, Stock Blades and Futaba GY520 (yes!) Spektrum DX7se.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobase View Post
I wont mind modifying the whole thing only If I can get this Main Gear cost go down a little.
I hope someone come up with an idea.
Try to improvise a clutch between the main gear and the main shaft that is adjusted to have enough friction between the shaft and gear to not slip in the most aggressive throttle punches and maneuvers and still loose enough so the main gear will slip instead of strip in a crash.

I've done crude version in my 4G6's tail to avoid stripping the tail gear using simple plastic to white glue clutch and it works. For something like the main gear, I would expect a more complex mod due to the much higher kinetic energy involved. Do not be tempted to do the clutch between the motor shaft(because it may seem very simpple) and pinion because the tiny size could potentially result to overheating during crash and cause fire.

timewerx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

:-) Timewerx is a little too technical for my level. Im going to see if paying attention to the stock 60#B gear I can figure something out, using the same clutch, but with a different plastic main disc. Im going to order main gear from some different manufacturers and see what happen. Ill order from the Blade 400, and I have from the Furion 450,, I wonder if I should order from T-REX 450 or some other.
Any recommendation?
Thanks
Manny

Old 04-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not the answer you want to hear, but you may actually want to consider cutting your losses and getting a 450 clone. you can use all the Walkera electronics (except for the servos which are total junk).
Old 04-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, thats what Im thinking.
I dont know if I will be able to sell the H60B, I have about $200 in unused parts as well.
I have enough electronics (ESC, Motor, RX, Servos, etc) to build a T-REX 450, but I have to get rid of one to get the other one. I like how the 60B flies, is only that is too stupidily expensive. I have a Furion 450 also, it doesnt get more expensive than that on a 450, but it is not "silly-expensive" like the Walkera.
I wonder how much I could get for it.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Joblin View Post
Not the answer you want to hear, but you may actually want to consider cutting your losses and getting a 450 clone. you can use all the Walkera electronics (except for the servos which are total junk).
Never considered 'up-sizing' yet from my 4G6, but it's rare to hear something good from the 60#b. In fact, I won't get anything bigger than the 4G6 from Walkera... Their bigger size helis are simply not popular, as compared to clones, etc. That is a problem in itself already.

Walkera also tend to have cheap RTF price tag of their helis but stupendously expensive on maintenance. Sounds like a trap!

timewerx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yep... I would not buy a "large" Walkera ever again. Their price strategy actually works on their smaller helis (4G6, CB100, etc.)... The helis are cheap to purchase, and the parts are "expensive", but you also don't need to replace parts with every crash. I would say that I only break somthing on my 4G6 or 4#3B once every five crashes, so I don't mind paying a bit more for parts, because many times you don't need spend anything from a crash, so it balances out in the end.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agree.
I used to have a Walkera UFLY (fixed pitch but shaft driven tail) and it was kind of cool, but I wish I bought a CP from the beggining.
I have the H60B for trying new stuff and later do on the Furion 450.
I have enough spare electronics to build a T-REX 450, but I though it was going to be more expensive to fly than the 60B , I think im wrong.
Now, what do I do with the 60B and the parts? :-)
I just dont want to dump it (eventhough it might deserve it)
:-)

Old 04-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Busted another main gear.
I feel like crying,, $ 17.00

This time was the upper frame,, it was cracked a little so it allowed play from the motor pinion to the main gear,,. When I pushed real hard it stripped the plastic gear.

Snif snif.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobase View Post
Busted another main gear.
I feel like crying,, $ 17.00

This time was the upper frame,, it was cracked a little so it allowed play from the motor pinion to the main gear,,. When I pushed real hard it stripped the plastic gear.

Snif snif.

There comes a time that you have to throw a certain heli in the garbage. I think this time is here for you!
Don't be sad, it'll only be for the better!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

test
wildbrando is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in