Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 450L or Warp 360

Hey guys,

I'm interested in getting a 450 w/ +350mm blades. Obviously the warp and the 450L seem to be the two choices but I was interested in your thoughts on which would be better, below is what is important to me:

- I prefer quiter (presume that's a win for the warp)
- I prefer good parts availability (i could be wrong, but the 450L wins that category)
- I'd like to run 6s (both can)
- Ease of maintence (I presume warp wins?)

Cost wise I assume the warp is a little bit more expensive to build but I'm happy to pay a premieum for quality. I also would like to buy new.

I have JR287mg cyclic servos - while not the fastest servos in the world would they work till I could save up and get more aggresive cyclice servos?

Also, would a Talon CC 35 work on the compass? I'd like to run the heli in gov mode.

Finally, would like to run this with either and Ikon or a BD3sx (currently, I own the ikon - compass version)

Any insights would be great! Thanks, Dave
kramard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

While I don't have the experience with the 450L to comment directly on it, I can say this:

Parts availability is rarely a problem with the Warp. My LHS does not carry anything except Blade or Align parts, but I can almost always find what I need for the Warp @ prostarhobby.com.

The Warp is almost silent at low HS and still very quiet when you crank it up.

The Warp is very maintenance and repair friendly if you treat the airframe as a series of subassemblies. You can pull the Warp into several large and easy to work on chunks with just a few screws.

Talon 35 CC should be fine on the Warp. I don't know anything about those servos, but the Warp does like fast, strong servos. OTOH, it ran fine on my old, slow Savox servos.

Saje Marvin - Citizen 125
Raz0rSh4rp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramard View Post
I have JR287mg cyclic servos - while not the fastest servos in the world would they work till I could save up and get more aggresive cyclice servos?
I've never used those servos, but looking at the specs, they have a very low torque load compared to the MKS DS93 servos (0.94kg/cm vs 2.64kg/cm @ 4.8V). I would save up for a better servo, the direct to swash design of current helicopters are more demanding on the servos.

Quote:
Also, would a Talon CC 35 work on the compass? I'd like to run the heli in gov mode.
Yes. It will work just fine ... I've sold several for use in both the X3 and the Warp 360 and the BEC should be fine to run the servos off.

Quote:
Finally, would like to run this with either and Ikon or a BD3sx (currently, I own the ikon - compass version)
I run the BD-3X which is exactly the same the as the 3SX except it doesn't have Captain Rescue. It works excellent. I used to run the Compass TracX but recently switched out for the BD as I prefer the gyro setup / feel / performance. The TracX works excellent as well though, but it does not have a comparable rescue, it simply features self-level which can be setup as a bail-out but will not add collective to push the model away from the ground like the BD-3SX will.[/QUOTE]
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 06:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get the BD, I use it on all my birds, this unit has saved me many many crashes, one crash on a bid bird, would cost more than the FBL unit itself!

I have both the 450L and the warp. I like both, but I enjoy flying the warp more. It feels bigger. I am using the scorpion motor
Logo 480 XXtreme, Logo 550SX, Logo 690SX, Logo 800 XXtreme, TDR, Minicopter Diabolo 550, Minicopter Triabolo, Goblin 500, Goblin 700, Goblin 770, KDS Agile 5.5, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, HD Cell 500, Thunder Tiger E700
taosgraveyard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosgraveyard View Post
I have both the 450L and the warp. I like both, but I enjoy flying the warp more. It feels bigger. I am using the scorpion motor
Taos, where the heck do you find time for a 450 with that awesome collection, LOL.

As for Warp vs 450L, with no experience with the 450L besides using the 460MX motor on my Gaui X3, I have to give the nod to the Warp. Awesome design, truly unique in this class. It's not just a Mini version of its big brothers, nor is it just a beefed up 450. When I was considering my 450, exactly like you, I went with the brand and got the Warp. Compass is known for releasing well designed helis, and if a minor change is needed to fix an issue, it was released as an update and shipped for free to the early adopters, then added to the newer kits. Meanwhile, Align is famous for releasing models and then releasing upgrades which people then have to purchase. Align releases lots of bling that may or may not actually improve performance. Warp is all about performance. If it's all about part availability, not sure how you beat Align. Parts are everywhere, and less expensive. In terms of initial build cost, unless you are going for one of those Dominator combos, the cost to build will pretty much be the same. If you can find a Warp combo, it may cost more than a Dominator combo, but you are paying for a different class of electronics.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. I got the X2 flying awesome after a week of wrenching and without a doubt I think I prefer a belt driven tail to a TT after hearing how quiet my X2 is. I will most likely go for the Warp next month.

Any recommendations on build electronics? Some thoughts below:

My build thoughts initially are:
Blades, Motor, Kit
BD3sx
MKS DS95
DS95i
Talon 35 CC

Its a little more expensive than I would like. I don't fly SMACK 3D by any means so if there is a more reasonable tail / cyclic servo that could be a place to save. I however do intend to and will toss this heli around aggressively
Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I got the X2 flying awesome after a week of wrenching and without a doubt I think I prefer a belt driven tail to a TT after hearing how quiet my X2 is. I will most likely go for the Warp next month.

Any recommendations on build electronics? Some thoughts below:

My build thoughts initially are:
Blades, Motor, Kit
BD3sx
MKS DS95
DS95i
Talon 35 CC

Its a little more expensive than I would like. I don't fly SMACK 3D by any means so if there is a more reasonable tail / cyclic servo that could be a place to save. I however do intend to and will toss this heli around aggressively
Well, if that ends up being your setup, what's there not to like? It doesn't get much better.

kit + motor + blades combo (that's what I got, )
BD3sx is an excellent choice.
MKS DS95 (I have the MKS DS93, less expensive, similar specs)
DS95i is an excellent choice
Talon 35 is a choice that will work for sure and the Talon's internal BEC is good enough to use with your desired setup. While the Talon is a CC, it does not have logging so if that feature is important to you, keep that in mind. I am using CC Edge Lite 50, but had to use a BEC (WR Hercules Super Mini G2).
Old 04-04-2014, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

If trying to keep costs low another good choice for Servo's and ESC are the TGY 306G-HV's and the YEP 45a ESC.

I am running them with a 6s setup on my X3 and they are great. I had one 306G go haywire but HobbyKing replaced it free same day after I sent them a video of what it was doing. Received it 2 days later and was back in the air!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmann841 View Post
If trying to keep costs low another good choice for Servo's and ESC are the TGY 306G-HV's and the YEP 45a ESC.

I am running them with a 6s setup on my X3 and they are great. I had one 306G go haywire but HobbyKing replaced it free same day after I sent them a video of what it was doing. Received it 2 days later and was back in the air!
I'm interested in the TGY 306G-HV servos but when I googled I found some people claiming they failed in as soon as "12" flights. If they are a reliable fast servo its def. something to consider. I was worried about the whole "you get what you pay for" thing.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: 450L or Warp 360

Quote:
I'm interested in the TGY 306G-HV servos but when I googled I found some people claiming they failed in as soon as "12" flights. If they are a reliable fast servo its def. something to consider. I was worried about the whole "you get what you pay for" thing.
They do it you don't modern them. I installed them also to try?

You have to put a piece of electrical tape at the bottom of the servo.

Next check the soldering. All 3 of mine needed filing down, 20secs of work. Next i put a piece of tape on the print as well. Setup was easy in vbar. Blue loctite the screws, they where very loose. Check for smooth operation by hand without a servo horn.

Can't wait to try them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1396686637375.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	500156   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1396686652390.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	500157   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1396686665494.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	500158  
Old 04-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I hadn't realized you were interested in budget options. TGY 306G are good inexpensive option, as are the KST DS215MG for $30 (using these on my X3). If you really want MKS, DS93 are just under $60 while the DS95 are just under $90.

If you are nervous about the work as outlined by Velocity90, it's actually easier than changing the gears in any of the servos mentioned, so don't be.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I second the KST DS215mg. Can be had for $25 a piece from aloft hobbies. I am using them on my Warp and really like them.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

... double post.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Besides build quality, is there any reason to go for the MKS's at 2-3 times the price over the KST's or TGY's?

I may be ignorant to the advantages but do not see the advantage for the major cost difference.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

For me one reason was gear pricing. Also now if I toast one it doesn't hurt so much.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Build quality is also tied to longevity. Hard to be certain but, I am guessing the MKS's would probably last significantly longer due to their higher quality coreless motors, potentiometers, exc. They are also very nicely engineered. No need for any modifications and the machining is excellent. Their customer service is also fabulous and Thomas at MKS USA is always there for questions and help if needed.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Tachead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Regarding servo quality.

You will be hard pressed to do better than the JR's.

True, they do not have the torque of some of the newer offerings from other manufacturers (in some cases, not quite the speed either), but it would be very difficult to find anything more reliable, over time (we are talking hundreds of flights over years, here).

I have JR 284's, 285's, and 285MG's in my small helicopters (285MG's in my Warp) and they have proven to be extremely reliable (there three year warranty on JR products is also nice to have, even if you don't need it).

Also the metal gear train on the JR's is tougher than anything I have run into. I have had several "embarrassing" incidents, involving unplanned and sudden contact with the ground by the helicopter, and have never damaged the gear train in a JR MG servo.

I have just acquired a second Warp, and it will have JR 285 or 287MG's in it (a 3500G on the tail). The "lesser" servos installed in it by the previous owner will be relegated to foamy fixed-wing machines.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
Build quality is also tied to longevity. Hard to be certain but, I am guessing the MKS's would probably last significantly longer due to their higher quality coreless motors, potentiometers, exc. They are also very nicely engineered. No need for any modifications and the machining is excellent. Their customer service is also fabulous and Thomas at MKS USA is always there for questions and help if needed.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
What # of flights are folks getting out of their MKS servos? Two of my 92A+ cyclic servos died. One died at flight #348 and my other died at flight #373. I replaced my one last remaining cyclic servo because I no longer trust it.

I bought my heli used, supposedly only hovered a bit before being sold. The servos were said to have been bought brand new with the Warp. Since I don't know the full history of the servos, I can't be upset of the seemingly short life. It just leaves me wondering if that's the true lifetime I should expect from these servos. If 370 flights is the norm, I'll definitely be looking for a different servo next time around.
GravityJunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityJunkie View Post
What # of flights are folks getting out of their MKS servos? Two of my 92A+ cyclic servos died. One died at flight #348 and my other died at flight #373. I replaced my one last remaining cyclic servo because I no longer trust it.

I bought my heli used, supposedly only hovered a bit before being sold. The servos were said to have been bought brand new with the Warp. Since I don't know the full history of the servos, I can't be upset of the seemingly short life. It just leaves me wondering if that's the true lifetime I should expect from these servos. If 370 flights is the norm, I'll definitely be looking for a different servo next time around.
I believe it could be a hit and miss with any servo. Im not buying the expensive ones for my small beater.

Here's the 306 in action, not me:p

[ame]http://youtu.be/_Yj3Nz1hSRs[/ame]
Old 04-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

the 306's are laquered now on the board, but i still electrical taped them. I did a set this week.

great servos, they're rebranded kst's.
P.I.Engineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in