Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail Motor Break-in

These motors definitely need to be broken in before using them. I learned today that the brushes are flat where they make contact with the communicator when they come from the factory. The break-in process turns this flat surface into a rounded surface so that it makes better contact with the communicator. This is important because it reduces the amount of sparks/arcing that happens within the motor, which eventually cause the brushes to lose contact entirely.

I've been reading that you can submerge your motor in distilled water while breaking it in so that the brushes are shaped quickly and with minimal amount of arcing. Being that I'm still a n00b when it comes to electricity, I want to see if there's anything I should know before I mix electricity with water.. Thanks ahead of time!
SeanM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm going to experiment using alcohol for my wet break-in. I'll keep a log of how long my new tail motor will run.

Even pure distilled water still conducts electricity, alcohol does not. Also water does not dry as fast as alcohol and I'd still worry about corroding the copper wire inside.

Normally I would just use my normal motor break-in technique, but since I fly primarily at parks, I wanna take every precaution to make sure this bird does not end up having the tail fail randomly in the air.

I've broken in many motors with just running lower voltage for a while. (I also use comminicator break-in oil, you can get that at a hobby shop, but for this motor hard to get to the armature easily.)
QueadlunnRau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow I always thought that it would short out but I guess I put foot in mouth. Here is a video of a guy breaking in a motor with water. I am an internet noob also and dont know how to imbed it so heres the link...lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVxf_6vFB1o[/ame]
Chris_M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueadlunnRau View Post
Even pure distilled water still conducts electricity
Pure water is an excellent insulator. It is the impurities in water that allow it to conduct electricity. The resistivity of pure water is about 18 megaohm-cm.
Samadhi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I mentioned this in another post about the break in I have 2 of motors now so willing to do one for sure i used to race toruing car and have broken in quite a few motors have always used distilled water I am going to use 2 AA batts for this motor and run it for 5 mins each way should be plenty
00nothing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool what ?

Things that make you go, Hmmmmmmmm Hell, why not..
Skyranger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueadlunnRau View Post
I'm going to experiment using alcohol for my wet break-in. I'll keep a log of how long my new tail motor will run.

Even pure distilled water still conducts electricity, alcohol does not. Also water does not dry as fast as alcohol and I'd still worry about corroding the copper wire inside.
So I picked up two new motors, some distilled water, and isopropyl alcohol. I chose to get one e-flite N60 motor and one N60 motor from helimax. I chose to do this because I noticed that there was a significant price difference ($30 instead of $10) and a little difference in appearance. I'm hoping that these differences end up leading to a more reliable motor.

The only thing that concerns me about the helimax N60 motor is the little resistor thing that's on the back of it. It has the number 473 on it, instead of 104. I also noticed that there's no solder point on the side of the motor like on the stock one. Does anyone know if these differences are worth worrying about? Thanks!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar143 View Post
Thanks for the video! I never thought about it, but it makes sense that it will make the motor more efficient and more powerful due to the polishing effect that the water has on the brushes.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got the helimax N60 motor breaking in as we speak. It ended up taking 4 AA batteries to get it to start spinning. I noticed that there was a little bit of particles that are being spit out of the hole on the side of the motor's casing... I'm guessing that's from the brushes wearing down. It sounds like the RPM's are fluctuating ever so slightly too.. along with how much noise it's putting out. I just noticed it get noticeably quieter for a second.. Should I keep breaking it in until it starts to get quieter?
Old 03-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I thought Horizon broke these motors in as part of their professional assembly and proper set-up procedures?
Old 03-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

i used to race rc electric oval cars for years. we always broke our new motors in using the water method. i think we ran them in water for like 2 minutes at 5 amps or so, then just sprayed them out with brake cleaner really good. the brushes seated very well
jaffo24 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just finished breaking in and repairing the tail motor. I ended up using the e-flite N60 instead of the helimax N60... I'll try it next time. The tail is holding strong again and it seems to be running better than it was before.

I noticed that before the stock motor died, the tail rotor wouldn't spin at the same time as the main rotor blades and that sometimes it would start and stop until I brought the throttle stick past a certain point. Now, it starts to spin up almost at the same time as the main rotor blades and it doesn't cycle on and off like it used to.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

so how long did you break it in and what did you use? (batteries)
jaffo24 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I broke each motor in for roughly an hour in distilled water and then dipped them in alcohol to help dry them out... I used four AA batteries.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default You guys are off your rocker! What nonsense.

Breaking in a dime-a-dozen, Chinese made, toy motor? Which only costs $9 in Canada. Just when you think you've heard it all. If you fly the thing enough, it will "break in". And if it breaks down, you buy another one for $9 (less than the cost for a set of blades). Don't try to tell me that it works better if you "break it in". It's not a friggin Ferrari. Sheesh!
all-thumbs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dude, I appreciate your opinion and all... but how about a better explanation to why you believe that. I've done my research and I've learned that these brushes don't come "shaped" the way that they are meant to be. Being that this is the case, if you don't break it in, the brushes will not shape themselves the way they were intended on being shaped. The reason for this is because of the amount of arcing and load that is happening. When you introduce water in a no load situation, it allows the brushes to "seat" properly and acquire the shape that allows for the most efficient operation.

I'm not trying to argue, but I'm pretty sure that China is known for cutting corners when it comes to the products they produce... I'll let you guys draw your own conclusions.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

They only cost $9, dude. Whether you spin that thing wet or dry for a few thousand revolutions, I'm sure the "brushes" will find their equilibrium sooner rather than later. Nuff said? You guys are nuts!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know about you, but money doesn't grow on trees for me. I am tight with my money and have much better things to be spending it on... especially when I only get 30 batteries worth of flying out of one motor.
You're sure you say... Are we supposed to just believe you? I'm going off of fact.. not opinion. The brushes have NO TIME to find their "equilibrium" when they go straight into working in load rather than no load. This is the key difference to breaking in a motor when it's on the heli flying and when it's sitting alone with no rotor attached.
By the way, brushes are a key component to a motor's operation... I'm taking it that you're not aware of this by your use of quotation marks.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
I don't know about you, but money doesn't grow on trees for me. I am tight with my money and have much better things to be spending it on... especially when I only get 30 batteries worth of flying out of one motor.
You're sure you say... Are we supposed to just believe you? I'm going off of fact.. not opinion. The brushes have NO TIME to find their "equilibrium" when they go straight into working in load rather than no load. This is the key difference to breaking in a motor when it's on the heli flying and when it's sitting alone with no rotor attached.
By the way, brushes are a key component to a motor's operation... I'm taking it that you're not aware of this by your use of quotation marks.
Maybe you've got a point. Perhaps it would be even better if you used Holy Water. Or, you could just save your time for flying, instead of obsessing. I don't expect you to believe me, but I can't believe you. You might as well believe in Voodoo. This is an aberrant thread and you guys are still undoubtably certifiable.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by all-thumbs View Post
Maybe you've got a point. Perhaps it would be even better if you used Holy Water. Or, you could just save your time for flying, instead of obsessing. I don't expect you to believe me, but I can't believe you. You might as well believe in Voodoo. This is an aberrant thread and you guys are still undoubtably certifiable.
Ease up will ya!..A little harsh dont you think?.Let the boys have their fun fer cryin loud..Sheesh man.
xv-townboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in