Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default How To Assign Bank (setup) switch on the New DX6?

So apparently I don't have enough channels to change between setups and/or activate the self leveling feature of the Ikon unit. Is there a way to go around to setup this features with a 6 channel transmitter, like the new Spektrum DX6?

Thanks

Last edited by egiraldo911; 11-10-2014 at 08:41 AM..
egiraldo911 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2014, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, If the Dx6 is the same as the Dx6i in this regard, you can use the "Set in Software" for the tail. This makes channel 5 available and you can assign this in the advanced menu to Setup Selection.

There is a sticky how to set up the Dx6i for this. It works for me so that I have Setup 1 for take-off and landing. Setup 2 for flying and Setup 3 for SL.
Dawiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Figured it out!

Unfortunately the new DX6 is not like the DX6i at all. I read that it is actually more like a little brother of the DX9. However, I was able to figure it out after a couple of hours of fiddling with it. So here is the setup I did:
First, go to Gyro menu and select Chan: Inhibit and Switch: Switch G (in my case this is a 3 pos switch). Set the 3 positions as 100%, 0%, -100%. Once done, go back to Switch and change it to Inhibit. I know it doesn't make sense to disable it again but what you want here is not the gyro gains but just setting those position values to my switch G. They will store in memory even when inhibit.
Now, go to Channel Assign menu in your radio and make sure that channel 5 GEAR: Gear. Go to NEXT page and set channel 5 GEAR: G (switch G for me). That's it for the radio. You're now sending just 3 position signals using switch G through the Gear channel.
Now, here is the important thing, setting it right in the Ikon software. Go through your normal tail setup in the Basic menu and adjust your throws and directions and check the "Set in Software" box and set your Gain to 50 to start with. This will set a Gain of 50 for all 3 banks. Go to the Advance settings under Common and, on the Receiver tab, for the Gain make sure you open the drop down menu and select "No Channel". Very important. Here, you may have to uncheck the "Set in Software" box for a moment because the gain channel menu grays out. Just don't forget to check it again. Next, go to the menu right below it for "Setup selection" and select channel 5. And that's it! Test it out. Make sure you still have the "Set in Software" box checked in the Basic tail setup section and that is set to 50 to start with. After that, fine tuning will be done at the field with the PID parameters in the Advance section.
Happy flying!
Old 12-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks egiraldo911 for the effort you put in making this so easy for me.

Don S.
ds1rc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 12:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You're welcome! I am glad you were able to setup your radio. I was just scratching my head on this one for a while. I didn't want to buy a new radio just to be able to use that feature. And finally it worked out.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by egiraldo911 View Post
Once done, go back to Switch and change it to Inhibit. I know it doesn't make sense to disable it again but what you want here is not the gyro gains but just setting those position values to my switch G. They will store in memory even when inhibit.:
That part did not work for me. I had to leave it to switch G for the 3 banks to work. But since the gyro rate is actually set in the Ikon now I believe it will work.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Karl
Old 03-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes, you will be fine as long as the right channels are setup in the Ikon..."No Channel" for Gain and "Channel 5" for Setup Selection.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is interesting! I have a flying buddy that has an Ikon on his Trex 600 and he has the DX6. He's not really in a position to buy another tx with more channels and he's been wanting to set this up to be able to use the self level feature that the Ikon has.

egiraldo911...do you have any video that shows your helicopter reacting to the self level when the switch is activated on your DX6? We are very interested in getting his helicopter setup so that the self level does work.

Any help you could offer would be appreciated.
mountaindewdude76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi mountaindewdude76, I really don't have a video, but the self leveling works beautifully for me. There is a trick to it though, whatever you do, don't set the self leveling through Bluetooth, do it through the USB cable to your computer and Ikon/MHS software and make sure you have the latest version of software. For some reason, I found that the self leveling setup does not take when done through Bluetooth, at least for me it doesn't. Also, when you set the level in the software, make sure to always click on to the next tab, any tab. Don't just disconnect the Ikon. As far as the actual setup of the heli, I would invest on a digital level. Level the heli at the top of the motor. I found that would be very close to blade level. Level it as best as you can. Then set the level in the software. Follow the DX6 setup for the bank switching on my previous post. If you have any questions about anything, let me know and I can clarify. But yes, you can make your DX6 into a 7 channel radio. The difference is that the gyro (Ch 5) will be set in the Ikon which you can adjust through your Android phone and the Bluetooth feature. Pretty cool.
However, I will try to get a video next time.
Arrowpilot likes this.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you very much for your reply! It's much appreciated.

Neither of us use a Bluetooth. We're using the USB cable all the time. It just works for us that way.

My friend will be bring his helicopter over later this week. We'll follow your instructions and we'll be very excited to see it working. I setup the Ikon on my 600 with my DX8 and that was relatively easy to do and it all works very well. My friend's DX6 really had me stumped. I thought I had heard that some people have been using a 6 channel tx and the self leveling. It's people like you that I enjoy talking with because you are much more knowledgeable than we are and you share your tips and experiences. Thanks a lot!

I'll report back after we've gotten my friends helicopter setup.
mountaindewdude76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
I’m new with iKon, have DX6 tx. Followed your instruction I got the banks assigned to switch B, but I think I got a reverse on setup 1 & 3. On the TX, if I put the switch to position 0 then setup 3 on the software is highlighted with green. Position 1 go to setup 2, OK. Switch to position 2, the setup 1 is highlighted with green. Tried to assign again to switch G and I got the same thing. Not sure what I missed.
Any helps are appreciated.
Thanks
Vihny57 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi mountaindewdude76, I really don't have a video, but the self leveling works beautifully for me. There is a trick to it though, whatever you do, don't set the self leveling through Bluetooth, do it through the USB cable to your computer and Ikon/MHS software and make sure you have the latest version of software. For some reason, I found that the self leveling setup does not take when done through Bluetooth, at least for me it doesn't. Also, when you set the level in the software, make sure to always click on to the next tab, any tab. Don't just disconnect the Ikon. As far as the actual setup of the heli, I would invest on a digital level. Level the heli at the top of the motor. I found that would be very close to blade level. Level it as best as you can. Then set the level in the software. Follow the DX6 setup for the bank switching on my previous post. If you have any questions about anything, let me know and I can clarify. But yes, you can make your DX6 into a 7 channel radio. The difference is that the gyro (Ch 5) will be set in the Ikon which you can adjust through your Android phone and the Bluetooth feature. Pretty cool.
However, I will try to get a video next time.
BEWARE...This may have been the cause of my recent ReKit. Here's my thread ( https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=697048 ) and I used my BlueTooth/Android software to set the Auto Level to "on" on one of my Banks. It went nuts into the ground!
FlatCrank
FlatCrank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Perhaps, but I'll counter with having successfully set the self-leveling via Bluetooth on my iKon bird (T550). It "took" - and works - just fine.

Not trying fuel the fire, I just have my doubts about that being the root cause right now. It sucks to put a bird in, and I completely understand your desire to pin the cause on something definitive.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidpad View Post
Perhaps, but I'll counter with having successfully set the self-leveling via Bluetooth on my iKon bird (T550). It "took" - and works - just fine.

Not trying fuel the fire, I just have my doubts about that being the root cause right now. It sucks to put a bird in, and I completely understand your desire to pin the cause on something definitive.
Yip, could be a million things, right? Bench test, bench test, bench test....!
I'm reading/watching my brains out to be sure I can learn as much as possible on this darn thing. 99% that it was something I did/did not do. It's not the first and surely won't be the last.
FlatCrank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Although I agree it may be a lot of things that could cause this issue, one thing I am sure of, and that is: the auto level setup will not set correctly if done though Bluetooth. I proved this in 2 different Ikon units. I would level the helicopter perfectly to the ground and press set while in Bluetooth interface and the swash would always pitch back and to the right. Once I started doing it with the USB cable, it set right and would always go to level when I activated it. Yes the Bluetooth is an awesome feature but may not be good to set the auto level. Everything else seems to work fine except for the Rx pack or BEC voltage displayed on the android device through Bluetooth. It seemed to always be wrong.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe that's where my experience versus yours differs.... When enabling SL, my swash also tilted, but I went into the Advanced "Gov & Level" settings and leveled it out to achieve an upright & vertical heli during SL hover. My understanding is that's why those adjustments are there.

OP.. Not derailing your thread... Only bringing our experiences to light in hopes of getting to the bottom of your crash.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation

I just done this. It'seems really easy. When setting up the tail check set in software under proportional gain. Then in the advance view under receiver tab simply check under setup selection free channel you have available.

Easy
mrrockwell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Unfortunately the new DX6 is not like the DX6i at all. I read that it is actually more like a little brother of the DX9. However, I was able to figure it out after a couple of hours of fiddling with it. So here is the setup I did:
First, go to Gyro menu and select Chan: Inhibit and Switch: Switch G (in my case this is a 3 pos switch). Set the 3 positions as 100%, 0%, -100%. Once done, go back to Switch and change it to Inhibit. I know it doesn't make sense to disable it again but what you want here is not the gyro gains but just setting those position values to my switch G. They will store in memory even when inhibit.
Now, go to Channel Assign menu in your radio and make sure that channel 5 GEAR: Gear. Go to NEXT page and set channel 5 GEAR: G (switch G for me). That's it for the radio. You're now sending just 3 position signals using switch G through the Gear channel.
Now, here is the important thing, setting it right in the Ikon software. Go through your normal tail setup in the Basic menu and adjust your throws and directions and check the "Set in Software" box and set your Gain to 50 to start with. This will set a Gain of 50 for all 3 banks. Go to the Advance settings under Common and, on the Receiver tab, for the Gain make sure you open the drop down menu and select "No Channel". Very important. Here, you may have to uncheck the "Set in Software" box for a moment because the gain channel menu grays out. Just don't forget to check it again. Next, go to the menu right below it for "Setup selection" and select channel 5. And that's it! Test it out. Make sure you still have the "Set in Software" box checked in the Basic tail setup section and that is set to 50 to start with. After that, fine tuning will be done at the field with the PID parameters in the Advance section.
Happy flying!
Another 1st timer with a Brain and I am so glad I found your post.
Thank you! Thank you!

Old 12-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You're welcome.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does anyone knows how to assign the switch for GRAUPNER MZ24 please?
berettawong is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in