Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 60/70/90

Thunder Tiger 60/70/90 Raptor 60/70/90 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default had my raptor 90 for a while, just took my maiden today

its an older 90 3d kit i bought off here, already outfitted, i however made some changes. faster stronger pitch servo, the bird was runnin 4.8 with an I/O switch. i bypassed the I/O switch, added a 6v bec and running it via 1300mah 2s lipo.
Well anyway for the maiden, the kit has been crashed twice due to the previous owner, i had no idea how the engine was broken it so i took it slow, i got into hover and after about 2 minutes the engine started dieing, so i auto it down, ( which it does awesomely).
It has the tt 70 eng in it, so its off and i could tell it was hot smoke was rolling off of it. so i bring it home strip the engine, and find some skuffs and the ring has been stuck, so i remove the skuffs from the piston, and file the piston untill the ring could freely keep compression, tomorow im gonna go for it again as the engine has loads of compession.
i also disassembled the carb and boiled it in lemon juice and water , lots of crap come out, it now looks brand new.

i have a 50 and a 30, and when the 710 started spinning my wife and i both were backing up some, i wasent scared but i realized i was a little close, she hid behind a brick wall lol.
tomorrow i have a maiden of my hurricane 550, i like to send the raptor up again, if engine dont hold i dunno if i am gonna go with os 70 91 or 105.
ill post back later
Merry Christmas
Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

the 90 will become your favorite.mine has a ys91 in it. if your interested in a 91, pm me. i have a ys91st back up engine i don't use.
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

pm sent
Old 12-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would recommend changing to some nice 690 blades - the flybared head doesn't work too well with the longer blades.

Think about changing to the lighter TT paddles - get some that are in the 20g to 25g range.

I also set my bell-hiller arm links (from the swash to the bell-hiller arms) on the inner holes and the use the inner holes on the flybar see-saw.
Also, add washers to the inner swash balls that connect to the bell-hiller arms. Use the washers to space out the balls as far as they will go without interference with the swash crown. This will give you more and faster throw for the cyclic before the links start to bind.

Any servo with around 200 oz-in torque will be fine for the collective. Personally, I run the JR DS8711 (400 oz-in torque) and I am ready to change to the DS8717 to match my cyclic servos. Remember, this was designed before there were too many 6v servos that would deliver more than 150 oz-in torque - so anything better than a "standard servo" from 5 years ago will be fine.

Check that you have the One-Way Bearing reinforcement ring installed - some guys take that out to "save weight" - without it, you will lock up the OWB and it will not free-wheel during an autorotation. Especially if you are running a .91.

Check your gear ratio. The sweet spot RPM for the YS is around 17,000. Same for the OS 70 (I think). If you are running the head at 1850, you should have a 10 tooth pinion and a 95 tooth main (9.5:1). If you scared yourself & your wife when you first hovered it, you have your throttle curve set too high - fly it at 1850 max head speed! You do NOT want to run this head at 2000+ RPM.

You should be able to get +/- 11 degrees of collective and around 7 to 8 degrees of cyclic before the links starts to bind. Try to get an equal +/- range on the collective & cyclic.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok before he next time i spin it, ill check the gear ratio. their is only one setting on the see saw ant fly bar control links, it has some plastic on it still. i know what ur talking about because my titan 50 has the different settings. im probably gonna give it another go tomorrow. i changed all the fuel lines and cleaned the clunks in the tanks. ill post back how it goes
thanks brandon
Old 01-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Found a good used os 70 for cheap, it will get me through untill april or may, when i have a line on a ys 91. The 70 seems to be doin good, the head speed seems to be low prob about 1600 or so but i havent hit idle up yet. The 90 is huge in the air and pretty awesome. Ill keep posted about how its goin. The balls are on the inner holes as well thanks for the info. The blades could be 690, they dont say and i havent measured them yet, they are not way bigger rhen my 620 blades on my 50
Thanks brandon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in