Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is the picture as requested As you can see my foam tape is about 1mm thinner than stock tape and not as soft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01670.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	148828  
blade strike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseyu View Post
It seems to me that some of you are using 2 Spektrum remote receivers for the SK-720 and I am wondering if that is absolutely necessary or just an extra safety net? Will it work with just one remote receiver? Or is this question heli size dependent? Any input will be appreciated because I have a unit on pre-order and I am trying to get all the necessary parts before the beast arrives. THanks!

I would use a 2nd if you have cf frame IMHO. 2.4g doesnt like cf to start, for the $30 that it cost for an extra sat, it's well worth it!
Old 04-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Blade, you need a shorter Rx cable ...
Old 04-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli-RND View Post
Blade, you need a shorter Rx cable ...

I know I keep forgetting to order some from you It really isnt that bad (macro makes it look that way) I just did a loop so I dont transfer vibs to the unit... I take great care in my wiring but some things you have to do to be functional
Old 04-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the pic! Blade, where do you source that tape from? All I have is that Zeal stuff and also the one more foam tape that came with the SK unit. Thanks!
AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralmar View Post
Thanks for the pic! Blade, where do you source that tape from? All I have is that Zeal stuff and also the one more foam tape that came with the SK unit. Thanks!

go to the hardware store and try to find some strong dbl sided tape and 3m (brand) foam mounting tape.

If you cant find the foam then you must order. I really wouldnt think dbl sided tape / plate / and stock pad wouldnt be so bad.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
go to the hardware store and try to find some strong dbl sided tape and 3m (brand) foam mounting tape.

If you cant find the foam then you must order. I really wouldnt think dbl sided tape / plate / and stock pad wouldnt be so bad.
I found my vibration culprit today. My Radix blades came from two sets where one blade was damaged in a crash but the other was intact, and I made one new set out of the two salvaged blades. In any case, I balanced them before I put them on the heli and added a couple of Align stickers to one blade to make it weigh the same as the other. I totally skipped the step of making sure the CoG was the same for both blades. I think I'm going to put these blades back on the spares shelf for now and just try brand new Align 425Ds and see what that does for the vibration.
AMA #934662
Old 04-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseyu View Post
It seems to me that some of you are using 2 Spektrum remote receivers for the SK-720 and I am wondering if that is absolutely necessary or just an extra safety net? Will it work with just one remote receiver? Or is this question heli size dependent? Any input will be appreciated because I have a unit on pre-order and I am trying to get all the necessary parts before the beast arrives. THanks!
Necessary. Especially if the heli is a 450 or bigger. And not just because we are using the 720 as the Rx. Spend some time on the Spektrum web site and see what they have to say about antennas.

Rick
rickn816 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I found my vibration culprit today. My Radix blades came from two sets where one blade was damaged in a crash but the other was intact, and I made one new set out of the two salvaged blades. In any case, I balanced them before I put them on the heli and added a couple of Align stickers to one blade to make it weigh the same as the other. I totally skipped the step of making sure the CoG was the same for both blades. I think I'm going to put these blades back on the spares shelf for now and just try brand new Align 425Ds and see what that does for the vibration.
I found that the MicroHeli main gear ran twice as quiet (1/2 of the vibration) as the standard Align main gear.

Rick
Old 04-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
I know I keep forgetting to order some from you It really isnt that bad (macro makes it look that way) I just did a loop so I dont transfer vibs to the unit... I take great care in my wiring but some things you have to do to be functional
HAHAHA
Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickn816 View Post
I found that the MicroHeli main gear ran twice as quiet (1/2 of the vibration) as the standard Align main gear.

Rick
The MicroHeli main gear? Linky pls? Me not know what u talkin' bout!
AMA #934662
Old 04-02-2010, 05:58 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The MicroHeli main gear? Linky pls? Me not know what u talkin' bout!
For example,

http://www.helidirect.com/microheli-...00-p-15969.hdx

Rick
Old 04-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

concerning the number of satellites to use. I would recommended always TWO. I just had a situation where one of my satellites lost power while flying. So when I landed it was blinking. Then it totally went out during a flight. Narrowed it down to the plug on the satellite was bad.

So if I only had one satellite - and that one was the one - my heli would have been a lawn dart. So $35.00 to spend was not too much for that second satellite. the second satellite clearly saved the heli.

just my opinion.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Satellites

This explains it very clearly. Two sats are recommended. The two sets of antenna must be perpendicular to each other. The exact orientation does not matter.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/FAQ/tm.asp...receivers&#133

Rick
Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Testers

Is anyone using the 720 with a multi blade head?
I have a Hirobo Dauphin (my own electric conversion) with there 4 blade rigid head that is waiting for one of these 720's.
Keep up the good work Art, us Canucks are pulling for you!

Thanks, Jason
logolew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by logolew View Post
Hello Testers

Is anyone using the 720 with a multi blade head?
I have a Hirobo Dauphin (my own electric conversion) with there 4 blade rigid head that is waiting for one of these 720's.
Keep up the good work Art, us Canucks are pulling for you!

Thanks, Jason
Yes. Not me, tho.

Rick
Old 04-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Guys,

Re vibration, the high control rates carlmar is using may also cause vibration during fast cyclic maneuvers. Part of the reason is that it takes a lot of force to flip the heli that fast (on and off with each blade revolution), and another reason is that the heli may not actually be able to flip at 360 deg/s. If it's limited by blade tip stall, that would cause a lot of vibration when it happened.

The way to tell is to check what the bell auto-tuning sets the bell gains to. If they're up around 90%, the control rates are set higher than the heli's airframe can deliver.
Skookum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, Art.
Have you check my flight log and set-up?
I found some mechanical faults on my Atom 500..

Thanks
dalong2362 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
Hi Guys,

Re vibration, the high control rates carlmar is using may also cause vibration during fast cyclic maneuvers. Part of the reason is that it takes a lot of force to flip the heli that fast (on and off with each blade revolution), and another reason is that the heli may not actually be able to flip at 360 deg/s. If it's limited by blade tip stall, that would cause a lot of vibration when it happened.

The way to tell is to check what the bell auto-tuning sets the bell gains to. If they're up around 90%, the control rates are set higher than the heli's airframe can deliver.
Hi Art,

I've been running with the self-tuning checkbox on the whole time I've had my unit.

Here's the screen shot from my normal cyclic bank:

Is 78% also too high?

Thanks,

Carlos.
AMA #934662
Old 04-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Carlos,

If it's only at 78% on aileron, then your heli probably actually can reach 360 deg/s. Wow, what blades and rpm are you running on that thing? Most helis top out at around 250 deg/s. Still, high cyclic rates generally cause some vibration intermittently.
Skookum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in