Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 10:30 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wonder if the 601 is the same as the 401?
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2007, 10:35 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My gear channel end points are 100%
I can only change the + travel to 150% and it does not change how the Gyro menu works
Paul :glasses2:

Spektrum DX7 Trex600, Hughes 500D W/Trex600 mech's
PicooZ, BCX2
I want to die in my sleep like Grandpa. Not yellin' and screamin' like the people in his car
AMA 792875
PBMAXX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 10:48 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless
Yep... forgiving a .5% then the DX7 is stepping at 1.5 on the gyro signal
70-50=20*1.5=30 (you got 29 which is close enough)

Paul... one other test please. WHAT is the end points of your GEAR channel? If 100% then it is 1.5. If more than that might effect the math.

Also do me a favor... change the gear channel to end points of 150 (max on the DX as I recall) and see if that changes how the gyro menu works.

Thanks for helping us out on this!

Bob
Bob,
that would mean with the 401 (yes he's talking about the 601 for bigger heli) if we move the end points to 50% that gives us a total throw of 100 so it would be 1:1 for the 401? I think that's right...
Jermo
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Old 02-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

PBMAXX will you run an experiment for me please?
Set the travel limits for the channel you are using for the gyro gain to plus/minus 50%, then re-run the settings. If I'm right we'll end up with 1:1 or pretty darn close.
for test data use settings of:
50% =
60% =
70% =
78% =
82% =

my hypothesis is that the gains will be 1:1 thus the expected results are: (plus/minus 1)
50% = 0
60% = 10
70% = 20
78% = 28
82% = 32

thank you in advance..
Jermo
Old 02-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

The travel limit for the gear channel will only let me change the positive setting. At 50%
I get

50% = 2 on the GY601
60% = 13 on the GY601
70% = 29 on the GY601
78% = 41 on the GY601
82% = 48 on the GY601

Is not being able to set the negative travel on the DX7 normal?Paul :glasses2:

PicooZ, BCX2
I want to die in my sleep like Grandpa. Not yellin' and screamin' like the people in his car
AMA 792875
Old 02-17-2007, 11:18 PM   #46 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thats about 1.5 and Jermo NO the gain amount is the same movement for a 401 as a 601 man... So it's "about" 1.5 steps. Interesting that channel end points for the gain channelk didnt effect the amount.... I find that strange as if it is already working on 150% anyway... think about it... 150%... 1.5 steps

So Jermo you need to state that for every 1 value in the radio the gain to the gyro is 1.5. so 70 gain = (70-50)*1.5 = 30% gain +/- 1 %

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

noted.. I'll make the corrections...hehe..

THANK YOU BUNCHES for the help on this..
Jermo
Old 02-17-2007, 11:24 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

just a note:
when you move the corresponding switch on the travel adjust such as Aileron or Aux2 you can change the negative travel. ONLY the gear channel won't let you change negative travel. Moving the switch does nothing

PicooZ, BCX2
AMA 792875
Old 02-17-2007, 11:36 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Depending on your radio you may have to change the function of the channel back to it's origional function to change the travel. On the DX7 you have to do this otherwise you have no way to access the negative travel setting.
Jermo
Old 02-17-2007, 11:51 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks J. I hadn't thought of that. I'm leaving it at 100 for now anyway

PicooZ, BCX2
AMA 792875
Old 02-18-2007, 12:19 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

First flight just now (in the dark) with the DX7 and the TREX600. Gyro worked great at 74% in the DX7 (35 on the GY601). And with Bob's videos mechanical trim was perfect (nice little double lines on all the trims )

Final DX7 settings ended up being

Swash 50%
Reversed servos 2 and 3
Gyro HH and normal 74%
Pitch curves
Normal 44-47-50-75-100
ST1 0-25-50-75-100
ST2 0-25-50-75-100
Throttle curves
Normal 0-50-80-90-100
ST1 100-95-90-95-100
ST2 100-95-90-95-100
Countdown timer 6 minutes
small amount of subtrim on 2 servos...
Remember I moved up from a Hitec Eclipse 7. MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE

PicooZ, BCX2
AMA 792875
Old 02-18-2007, 06:11 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you want to set the gyro up the Finless way just set the gear to gear and make the appropriate endpoints on the gear switch. Forget about the gyro menu.
Plus this way you can switch between HH and normal mode.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:08 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl
If you want to set the gyro up the Finless way just set the gear to gear and make the appropriate endpoints on the gear switch. Forget about the gyro menu.
that is actually the way i ended up doing it (on the advice from a local heli guru). with the spektrum dx7 and gy401, he said set the endpoints at around 35 - 40 positive for HH mode and -35 to -40 for std mode. flick the gear switch up for HH and down for std. i've played around with the numbers in HH mode and ended up with around 40 - 45. very stable tail with no wag.

gw
maltydog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #54 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

On what a 450 or a 600? I can tell you setting up properly for rate mode on a 450 limits your full travel potential in HH mode as you dont have a way to set a different limit on each side of throw. The limit pot is it on a 401. To set up rate mode properly your pitch slider will not be center in the hover and thus your limit pot is lowered so you dont strike the tail hub. This in turn keeps you from going full towards the tail case and thus lowers resolution. This will also require you to lower gain.

On a 601/611 you have a limit value for each side thus this works OK. If the 401 had a limit for each side I would say go for it but it doesnt.

Later when your trying to do harder 3D you will find your tail wont hold in all conditions.

My 2 cents but trust me you wont see people like the Szabo's etc setting up a 450 like this.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2007, 08:29 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltydog
Quote:
that is actually the way i ended up doing it (on the advice from a local heli guru). with the spektrum dx7 and gy401, he said set the endpoints at around 35 - 40 positive for HH mode and -35 to -40 for std mode. flick the gear switch up for HH and down for std. i've played around with the numbers in HH mode and ended up with around 40 - 45. very stable tail with no wag.

gw
If it works
My question would be why? (remember I'm new), I don't see why you would want to pop out of HH mode randomly. Just seems to make it more complex to feel around the radio for yet another button while flying

I used to fly planks and always hated finding Gear and Flaps ..I never wanted to take my eyes off my bird.
Jermo
Old 02-18-2007, 09:18 AM   #56 (permalink)

yea i agree. i don't intend to pop out of HH mode. i am new also so still wading through the reams of available info. let me go back and re-watch the videos again and see if it sinks in a little deeper this time. :wink:

gw.
maltydog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

feel free to hit by PM or Post, the entire HF community is supportive. Nobody looks down on anyone just because we don't know something or make mistakes. It's part of the process.

The main advantage I see of using the Gyro Sense menu is it allows you to adjust both modes independantly of a switch so you can theoretically change them in flight w/o changing modes/switch position. In addition it allows you to have TWO settings for the mode you want to operate in that's controllable by the flight mode switch (a switch you'll probably use and actually want to change the gain/mode..) so you won't have to hit TWO switches to change gain/setting for the gyro based on flight mode.

Seems to me there's a reason for the Gyro Sense menu and why it's layed out the way it is..ie flight mode switch tied to changing Gyro gain.

Answer me this: If you do use different Gyro gain settings in Idle up mode is it easier to just tie the gain to the idle up switch or have it on the gear/aux2 switch?

hehe....I'm still new but maybe a hot 3d pilot can comment on different gyro settings in different modes.
Jermo
Old 02-19-2007, 02:31 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermo
My question would be why? (remember I'm new), I don't see why you would want to pop out of HH mode randomly. Just seems to make it more complex to feel around the radio for yet another button while flying
Well, for starters you have to setup your tail in normal mode......

I fool around a lot with different setups and I like to be able to switch my gyro in normal mode when I feel like it.
I am not saying your way doesn't work, just another approach....... :wink:
Old 02-19-2007, 05:57 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermo
Well, for starters you have to setup your tail in normal mode......

I fool around a lot with different setups and I like to be able to switch my gyro in normal mode when I feel like it.
I am not saying your way doesn't work, just another approach....... :wink:
kewl.. mmm...I wonder if you can use mixing to re-enable the gear switch...and keep it in Gyro mode..? It's pretty easy to switch modes when setting the gyro, just one press of the button to change the 0 to a 1 on the Norm: setting (assumes you have the 0: setting and 1: setting for each respective mode).
Jermo
Old 02-19-2007, 07:48 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For everybody that hasn't seen it yet, there is a very good explanation of the 401/DX7 gain setting in this thread in the 2.4 Ghz forum:

https://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic....asc&highlight=

Just scroll down a bit, kgfly gives a very clear view of the issue.

Tags
dx7, programming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in