Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Logo newbie – Aftermarket Upgrade questions for 600sx and 690sx

Hi Guys, I have read other threads on “upgrade” topic, some old, some newer but I was looking for up-to-date and consolidated 2014-ish information.

I have just purchased a logo 600sx (used) and 690sx (new). These are first logos and the plan for them is to become my daily beaters helis replacing my aligns. My flying style is 3D. I don’t know much about logos yet but help me compile a list of parts and websites. I would like to know what all is out there for logos even though its just bling. Please provide links to the products under following categories

• Must Have
  • Just Bling

Questions on what I know:
1. Anti static kits. Must have?
2. Speedix pulleys – are they really needed or just bling?
3. Metal and/or QuickUK tail – I have read some older 2011 posts recommending QuickUK tail for higher head speeds or running 105s. is this still true for the newer models?
4. Some tabs that break on landing skids in case of hard landings – I can’t seem to find the thread again

I will also be interested in any mods that you have done to your birds to make them fly better.

Thanks for your help ...
cbrkhan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Opinions will vary, so understand that everything you hear in response is up for debate.

In my experience, nothing on the 690sx needs to be changed. It is, as a stock kit, exactly what they designed it to be. The one exception was the original OWB, which was quickly replaced.

The 600sx does need two things. To my knowledge, it still doesn't come with an anti-static kit, but one is required. Buy the Mikado kit and use it.

I personally install the Spedix aluminum frame stiffeners to protect the tabs. Other people use nylon bolts, but I find the metal brackets to be a better overall solution. Some will say they've never broken a tab, which is fine for them, but I have broken many. The 690sx doesn't share the issue because of the chassis extension.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my experience as a sport flyer of a Logo 500 I would say it doesn't need any upgrades. Mine is 5 years old and had a few birthday presents but nothing of significance has had to be changed because it wore out.

For some the swash feels weak and change it for the quick UK one. Some don't like the tail hub and again change it for the Quick UK one, although the old Align plastic one from the T-Rex 600 is pretty good and you will then need the slider from a Raptor 50.

I have also fitted the Spedix aluminium frame stiffeners as I want to start doing autos and I have seen nylon bolts break at a point where I didn't think the landing was particularly hard.

I have seen quite a few Logo 600s at my club and none of them have any upgrades and they fly fine time after time...
Andy from Sandy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

What about

• Spedix Tail Belt Tensioner Kit
  • QuickUK tail

I am planning to run 2000hs I have read about quickuk tail in 2011 threads. Is quickuk still needed on the newer birds to run 2000 or 105s on tail?
Old 09-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

No. The new hub should take 105s easily I recommend Rotortech. They are actually lighter than EDGE 95 and your tail will hold, no matter what you throw at it.
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

IMO a nice upgrade I did on my Logo 600SE was a CF boom. Belt tension stays consistent. Aluminum boom would shrink and expand in big temp changes.
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 01:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
IMO a nice upgrade I did on my Logo 600SE was a CF boom. Belt tension stays consistent. Aluminum boom would shrink and expand in big temp changes.
Like maarset said, all you need a CF boom if your winter is really cold.

Tail rotor is perfect, no need for QuickUK upgrade. Mikado changed rotor hub when they released 600 SX. Now it is strong enough for high rpms.

As for frame stiffeners, it is a precaution. It doesn't make it fly any better. If you crash there is always something to break.

It is true that 600 SX swashplate bends in a crash. But no need to upgrade it now. If you crash and bend it, you can replace it with 690 SX swashplate.

I have been flying a Logo 600 SX for two years. Now I am going to order second one. You can't go wrong with these models. Just fly them and see if it needs anything to upgrade.

bavci_0655 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 03:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrkhan View Post
What about

• Spedix Tail Belt Tensioner Kit
  • QuickUK tail

I am planning to run 2000hs I have read about quickuk tail in 2011 threads. Is quickuk still needed on the newer birds to run 2000 or 105s on tail?
1. Mikado makes a newer belt tensioner, with wider bearing. Part number 4273, it's $8. You want this. It comes in some of the new kits.

2. You don't need the quick uk tail. Mikado released a new tail hub with larger spindle bolts. Spindle bolts used to fail, the bigger bolt don't fail. The part number is 4630. This hub is in all the new kits.
Lynx
el guapo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Aftermarket Pinion? 13t??

I received the 600sx today (used). All the reading on this forum and Mikado USA suggested that 600sx only has two pinions 11t and 12t. I even bought a new motor based on this assumption selecting 11t pinion for 530kv 12s setup

My kit showed up with a 13t pinon. Is this aftermarket pinion or being used from another logo heli? Should I use this? What all other pinion choices are out there for 600sx?

13t would a perfect pinion for a 450kv motor on a 12s setup for 2200 governed. Has anyone tried this setup?
Old 09-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I received the 600sx today (used). [...] My kit showed up with a 13t pinon. Is this aftermarket pinion or being used from another logo heli?
13t is a reasonable pinion for some models but it's too big for the 600sx on 12S, IMO. I would recommend ordering the 11t or 12t.

You should be able to sell the 13t if you don't end up needing it. Assuming it's an M1 pinion, a 600sx or 600 SE on 10S might be a good fit for it. Or someone who likes crazy high headspeeds.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I received the 600sx today (used). All the reading on this forum and Mikado USA suggested that 600sx only has two pinions 11t and 12t. I even bought a new motor based on this assumption selecting 11t pinion for 530kv 12s setup

My kit showed up with a 13t pinon. Is this aftermarket pinion or being used from another logo heli? Should I use this? What all other pinion choices are out there for 600sx?

13t would a perfect pinion for a 450kv motor on a 12s setup for 2200 governed. Has anyone tried this setup?
back it the day..... a 13 tooth was a popular pinion to use with a 560KV motor with 10s.

during the transition to SX, mikado created new pinions that are "taller" and there was thicker main gear. together they made a stronger gear train for 12s. for what ever reason, they only sell 11t and 12t now.

one of the guys a used to fly with ran a 450KV with a 13 tooth pinion on 12S. it worked very well.
Lynx
el guapo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pinions and Headspeed 600SX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemp View Post
13t is a reasonable pinion for some models but it's too big for the 600sx on 12S, IMO. I would recommend ordering the 11t or 12t.

Why do you think its too big for 600sx. I compared many different KVs and pinions for my bird and 530Kv / 11t / 12s is almost same as 450kv / 13t / 12s according to Mr Mels calculator for 2000 target head speed. Am I not looking at it right?

I do not want to have to purchase another motor only to realize I was wrong again!

Old 09-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I compared many different KVs and pinions for my bird and 530Kv / 11t / 12s is almost same as 450kv / 13t / 12s according to Mr Mels calculator for 2000 target head speed. Am I not looking at it right?
Sorry, you said you bought a 530Kv motor for this so I assumed that's what you'd be using (since it's much easier to change a pinion than a motor.)

Really you can run whatever you want as long as it has the right mounting pattern and you can find a suitable pinion, but every option comes with tradeoffs. Here are a few options:

4035-450 Weight: 460 Grams (3300W)
4035-530 Weight: 460 Grams (3400W)
4530-540 Weight: 565 Grams (4800W)
4530-450 Weight: 565 Grams (5400W)

KDE600XF-530-G3 Weight: 400g (3850W)
KDE700XF-455-G3 Weight: 660g (6995W)

The 4035 size is significantly lighter which in my opinion makes it better suited for the smaller bladed 600 class helis. The 4530 size is larger and able to generate more power, which makes it better suited to swinging the longer 700-800 blades.

Last edited by hemp; 09-19-2014 at 03:51 AM..
hemp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have picked up another 450KV motor that I will be using with 13t pinion.

I have also picked up Anti Static kits and Spedix aluminium frame stiffeners as suggested by you guys.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is the recommended ESC size for 690SX?

Is 120 HV size ESC enough with stock scorpion motor?

FYI - I fly 160HV ESCon my X7 and Trex because of 850mx motor.

Just double checking with you guys before a purchase a ESC for my 690sx
Old 10-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What is the recommended ESC size for 690SX?

Is 120 HV size ESC enough with stock scorpion motor?

FYI - I fly 160HV ESCon my X7 and Trex because of 850mx motor.

Just double checking with you guys before a purchase a ESC for my 690sx
I would recommend the YGE 160hv. It is not needed, but if you want an esc that will be virtually impossible to overheat/ over current, this is it. Plus, if you are using Vbar Gov, all you have to do is plug into the vbar, set pole count and headspeed and go fly!!! After a HARD 3d flight the esc came down cool. Not warm, not hot,
Cool.
I Fly Helis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For what it's worth, the 4525-370 is only rated for 75A continuous so I think you would be perfectly fine with a 120hv or even an 80hv with a heatsink.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

the higher tooth count pinion gives you more pinion to main gear contact , that's why they made a super low kv motor for the 690 , less gears blowing out ..
Dennis Everett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default C clip on the bottom of the shaft 690sx?

I am finally building my 690sx. Does it take a C clip on the bottom of the shaft like 600sx.

Online manual says it does. Manual included does not indicate that, My kit does not even have C clip in it. My shaft sits flush with the oneway bearing in the bottom .

Thanks..
Old 01-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am finally building my 690sx. Does it take a C clip on the bottom of the shaft like 600sx.

Online manual says it does. Manual included does not indicate that, My kit does not even have C clip in it. My shaft sits flush with the oneway bearing in the bottom .

Thanks..
C-Clip not needed.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=668268
RJVan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in