Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #121 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Can you imagine Arts reaction with me calling him and telling him I just smoked one of his Gps beta test units .
=] yes it's a privilege Randy, I live pretty much near on the major GMT meridian in western time, but could easily be in eastern time if needed,

in the first week I bricked the unit, had Huge support from Art & Kevin, remotely fixed! I have some awesome memories doing this stuff, learn a great deal along the way, which overspills in this forum,

is that a PID georgi UK loop, sure sounds like it?!!

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho_ View Post
Who cares?

Why are skills the measurement here?

I'd ask how much more would you enjoy yourself?
How much less would you worry about crashing?
How much better would you feel without the nervous tension each time you exit a loop a bit too fast and too close for comfort...

Skills shmills...

Give me fun and enjoyment over skills any day.
Right now I feel like I have nice equipment and have it setup well.

As I see it developing my flying skills is the main challenge that I will be working on from this point on.

I'm sorry, but without skills I'm just a poser with a bunch of eye candy to hover around.

What is the point in that? Boring!

There will always be new helis and new equipment, but at the end of the day my satisfaction will be measured based on how well I was able to fly.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got to say, if the SL is working then why worry. For me it would have been nice and I haven't completely discounted 1 yet. I've been flying my 540 equipped heli about now for a fair while and not once have I needed the SL in this time I've made very good progress and learnt inverted flight too. Something I wouldn't have thought possible a year ago. My 2nd 7hv is equipped with the 720 and a bailout and I'm going to be pushing harder from now on as I go through inverted backwards!

Maybe just maybe after I've seen the vids and read the success stories will I get one.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using tapatalk
Old 10-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
But how much better would your flying skills be?

When I hit the limits of what I can do with my 130X, I'll be asking myself this question a lot more.
I'm with you on this one. And its my main attraction to it! But in 6 months of flying I have gone from nervous basic upright circuits to confident inverted , nervous inverted backward circuits, half piro flips, tic tocs in every orientation etc.
I owe this to my 130x! But I can't see me outgrowing this limits of it? What orientation can't I work on with it? Once I have mastered inverted backward I'm going for upright backward then upright and inverted sideways. My 130 has been out of action for a few weeks and my progress feels like its come to a halt again.
But. Everything I have learnt I'm quite happy to do with my 7hv. Second flight I went straight into hurricane and half piro flips. Just do them higher I have no real fear I'll crash it. I'd just LOVE to be able to push beyond my limits as I do with the 130x

Plus I'm willing to bet this technology will be available from everyone and prices will plummet over the next 2-3 years.
Ortho , by then I plan on been able to do every trick in the book and want to be below 10m most of the time

Sent from Android via Trap a talk 2
rallyant is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyant View Post
I'm with you on this one. And its my main attraction to it! But in 6 months of flying I have gone from nervous basic upright circuits to confident inverted , nervous inverted backward circuits, half piro flips, tic tocs in every orientation etc.
I owe this to my 130x! But I can't see me outgrowing this limits of it? What orientation can't I work on with it? Once I have mastered inverted backward I'm going for upright backward then upright and inverted sideways. My 130 has been out of action for a few weeks and my progress feels like its come to a halt again.
But. Everything I have learnt I'm quite happy to do with my 7hv. Second flight I went straight into hurricane and half piro flips. Just do them higher I have no real fear I'll crash it. I'd just LOVE to be able to push beyond my limits as I do with the 130x

Plus I'm willing to bet this technology will be available from everyone and prices will plummet over the next 2-3 years.
Ortho , by then I plan on been able to do every trick in the book and want to be below 10m most of the time

Sent from Android via Trap a talk 2
Rallyant throw a hc3sx on your big bird and you'll fly your 7HV Harder than you do your 130X with almost zero risk. Harddeck is for newbies who think they won't have the reflexes to hit a button, there is nothing easier than flicking a switch and sending the Heli skyward in a instant no jamming on collective or extra thought required GPS on a 3d machine is kind of a waste, great for photo ships and FPV though.
Sambuka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Either that or Skookum gets that option too.
I can not think about positive or negative collective in a panic situation.
Especially not when the bird flips to one or the other side because its turned sideways and you have no idea what way it will turn.
ArguZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArguZ View Post
Either that or Skookum gets that option too.
I can not think about positive or negative collective in a panic situation.
Especially not when the bird flips to one or the other side because its turned sideways and you have no idea what way it will turn.
Easy, if Sl is always on @ 200% with control rates maxed out it will flip right way up from anywhere! Just add collective
Old 10-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nope, thats the problem.
I had it set to Always on and inverted 200% .
The fastest rescue is not to rotate the bird upright and THEN add collective, its rotating it to the closest level, either upright or upside down and then add the respective collective.
And I do not want to do it myself...I am too slow to react and dont see good enough to find out what way the heli now turned when it is far away and was rolling sideways.
I know there are two schools , but I had the experience of adding collective the wrong way and it costed me my heli.
I need this function or something similar to call it a rescue switch.
Right now it is a fantastic self level feature which helped my flying upside down.
A first step could be to make the bank switch a three step switch where 1 is off, 2 is level and 3 is emergency Level and pitch up.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:38 AM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't get why the skookum doesn't have auto climb if it works with their new gps Harddeck I'd hope they add this feature. It's a must in my book.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Nope, thats the problem.
I had it set to Always on and inverted 200% .
The fastest rescue is not to rotate the bird upright and THEN add collective, its rotating it to the closest level, either upright or upside down and then add the respective collective.
And I do not want to do it myself...I am too slow to react and dont see good enough to find out what way the heli now turned when it is far away and was rolling sideways.
I know there are two schools , but I had the experience of adding collective the wrong way and it costed me my heli.
I need this function or something similar to call it a rescue switch.
Right now it is a fantastic self level feature which helped my flying upside down.
A first step could be to make the bank switch a three step switch where 1 is off, 2 is level and 3 is emergency Level and pitch up.
The simple answer then is what i already suggested, set it to always on and not inverted.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathy View Post
The simple answer then is what i already suggested, set it to always on and not inverted.
Doesn't save the Heli very fast though.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyant View Post
What percent throttle are you using? I'm using TP 65C 325mah batteries and they come down pretty warm after 3 minutes.

I've noticed I can bog it down pretty badly and sometimes it gets wonky for a few seconds before it recovers ( tail unsettled ) That said it may help train you to have a smoother collective input.

My Protos and TDR can hold a very solid headspeed no matter what I throw at them and even my T550 will bog but the tail stays firmly in place. I guess that is the SK-720 at work keeping them rock solid, and the Jive governors keeping the head speed smooth.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambuka View Post
Doesn't save the Heli very fast though.
Mate, you are joking right??? Have you seen a properly setup 720 level its self @ max control rates and 200% SL?? Or even 100% for that matter.

Its so fast even on a 700. I'm not knocking the heli command unit here i actually like the idea.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

bailout from inverted 100 Percent

[ame]http://youtu.be/uNq0V4_r0oU[/ame]

this is on an early firmware without 200 percent.

See if anyone can recognise the flying field?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

True Im sure its plenty fast enough if your not too low, I personally fly quite low and use my bailout regularly below 15 feet during hurricanes / funnels etc. for things like that a flip over type level doesn't work well. A few weeks back I was doing piro flips at 25 feet and screwed up bad, I ended up with my bailout saving the 550 Heli inverted level and climbing out from 1 meter off the ground(hit the bailout late). Stupidly close to a dead Heli, happened so fast a flick of a button was all I could do, the auto climb is a awesome feature hopefully skookum can make it work too with all the experimenting with the Harddeck they are doing.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got any vids of the HC doing its stuff??
Old 10-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

it doesnt change the fact that the heli needs to make a roll first that in worst case is 180%, and after thats done you need to manually put in pitch.
Here is the HC3SX Demo video where you can see how much quicker it is to keep the roll to the closest horizont and add pitch up.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_BpXhnKTFA&feature=related[/ame]
And in all fairness, here is the video where it goes terribly wrong and the Acro and Pitch function shoots the heli sideways.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJbNV_Ad3BQ&feature=related[/ame]
I just wanna add I had 8 amazing flights with my SK720 just now and tested the SL 200% from inverted and I find it slow still.
I am on 280 with the rates and 55% cyclic gain.
It takes half a second to turn the bird, and then I should add pitch...i dont know...
If I had the option to use extra pitch automatically, I would use it.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok. Put the control rates for the cyclic bank to max. No dual rates in radio. Now try again. What heli is this on?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using tapatalk
Old 10-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
tested the SL 200% from inverted and I find it slow still.

It takes half a second to turn the bird
Am I understanding you correctly?

Half a second to self level right-way-up from inverted and you find that slow?

Or have I misunderstood something?
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho_ View Post
Am I understanding you correctly?

Half a second to self level right-way-up from inverted and you find that slow?

Or have I misunderstood something?
Same here. Half a second is too slow? This is so violent it is close to breaking the blade roots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in