Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
HSC
Registered Users

Default Mezon and backupgard

Hello !

Anybodey using optiguard 430 combinatet with Jeti mezon ?
http://www.optipower.co.uk/catalogue...20COMBO&cat=-1
It seem too bee a quite advanced backup system, far more than Scorpion backup guard .
But I em a bit worry because of stop sequence of this device...
In manual says first you need too turn of main batery and after that you start stop sequence on optiguard...
Soo that means mezon will get back voltage for short period ( cca 5 secs)
Will this hurt the Mezon BEC ?
Regards
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actually its worse...
Question one, yes, the Mezon WILL get hurt and you should not use ANY System without a blocking mechanism.
Secondly, the Mezon actually will feed the motor.
I had a Backup Guard getting really really hot when I turned it on without the main battery connected.
What that will do in flight when the main contacts fail is obvious.
It will drain it in a couple of seconds.
The solution is a backflow stop system :
https://shop.microhelis.de/INT-board-buffer-3-CAPs-25F
ArguZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been using a backup guard and then an optiguard for a year now with a Mezon 130. No issues.

Last edited by Eury; 08-30-2014 at 11:57 PM..
Eury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 03:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
HSC
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well this is info...

So in seems it works

How do you power off optiguard?

Normal sequence like in manuals, or you disconnect cable from FBL , before shut down main batery...
Old 08-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Exactly the same as the manual says and every other heli in the world does it. Turn off the Mezon and press the button on the opti guard.
Eury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anybody sent a mail to Jeti and asked them to clarify the issue. If not I will shoot one off ,
I would also like to run a optiguard to my HC3sx but not keen to damage my Mezon 130..
Kasmenu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mezon Fried

Oh well here is an update sad update, now I have no idea if its pure coincendence I as I do not have an in-depth knowledge in Electronics and it would be great if someone with some insight could comment. But I just finished building a Brand New Align T-Rex 700 DFC, The T-Rex has a Align 530KV motor and I used a Mezon 130 Lite as the ESC. I set the Mezon up and ran it on the bench.. It all seemed to run well. I then fitted a Optiguard Ultra and ran the power lead to the BD FBL. I tested the unit by pulling the man battery lead and the Optiguard kicked in, The led lights came on, I then pressed the button on the Optiguard which shut it down. All looked great.

I then fitted the blades and took the Heli outside wanting to start the tuning. As soon as I put power to the motor the ESC started to smoke. I quickly pulled the battery and pulled the ESC out as it was clearly damaged. No I am not sure if it was something I did which is possible or the Optiguard caused a problem.
I have attached a few photos of the burnt unit so any insight will help. From a build point of view I have built over a dozen choppers but this is the first time I have used a Mezon 130 with a Optiguard.. Any insight would be welcome.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	534757   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	534758   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	534759   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	534760  
Old 09-08-2014, 06:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mezon Blown

Here is an update, I decided to separate the two boards to try and see what the blown component is. I have no idea what the actual component in the Mezon is but if anyone knows it might put some light on the matter. I will also send it to Esprit and Jeti for their comment.

Regards

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mezon Blown.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	534770  
Old 09-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
HSC
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I realy doo not believe this is optiguard fault...or maybee it is listen too my exsperiences below
I did the same like you doo few times but Heli still running...I ges I was lucky.
But lately I have switched back too scorpion backupguard, wich seems too mee more "dump" and bulletproof...you need too cary the batery condition and keep in mind swich on scorpion but who cares...

The strangest behavior wich my optiguard have was look like this :
The whole system was in stendby mode ( optiguard pluged but in OFF status, main batery disconnected also mezon main swich on OFF position), after that I have move tail or swash servo with hand and optiguard turn on automatically.......WTF..... soo that mean if I deposit Heli after flight and move some servo with hand ( ofcourse subconsciously hit the tail blades or main blades ) during the talking with my friend, optiguard turn on automatically and start feeding my mezon BEC in too the ass...... ,jp in this case consequences could bee more sirious if the BEC is longer potion unter stress, toasted BEC..

That was mine 2 cents, check if your optiguard behave the same..
Old 10-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with HSC the optiguard was not the cause for the melt down. The component that failed in the Mezon is one of the power switch FET's. The failure was most likely caused by a weak FET component. Not your fault.
s car go is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2014, 01:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the feedback this is the second Mezon to fail on me, the guys at Esprit are great at replacing but I am a bit nervous now and might swing to Jive pro now that It can run Telematics data into the DS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in