Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had the awesome pleasure of watching Greggor McGraph from Amain run this motor in his 700N all day today.. Greggor is an amazing pilot playing the collective pitch like a fine fiddle and letting all the rest of us good pilots really listen to the extreme power of this motor. I have never seen anyone pimp a 700 like that besides Tim Jones on the electric.

P.S. Sorry if I misspelled Greggors name

Last edited by HeliSmith; 11-06-2011 at 12:59 AM..
HeliSmith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't see the price on this thing being a hold-up. It's not cheap, but with pipe, as stated very early in the post that it compares reasonably well with my electric motor and Kontronik 120HV in my Compass 7HV.

Since I saw Tim Jones' first flight vids of it earlier this year, I thought "hey, it still doesn't have as much power as my electric". But since owning/flying my 7HV (I love it!), I started thinking a 1./2 cubic inch nitro might still compare reasonably well in some ways to a 700 electric when it comes to flight performance. I don't know by how much, but I assume it makes for a lighter all up weight helicopter by comparison. I would think all in all a decent bird with this plant would pull as well as a 700 electric. Watching pro level guys fly both 700 electric and 700 nitro birds, even though the electrics are pretty wicked, it doesn't seem that, by comparison, the nitros are a slouch at all. I just thought that with a lighter airborne weight, it might even the performance a little.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Something that didn't click for me is these guys are doing this on 15% Nitro
Old 11-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliSmith View Post
Something that didn't click for me is these guys are doing this on 15% Nitro
That's a big selling point for me. When I first heard of this motor my initial thought was no thanks. I didn't know anything about the motor, I was purely thinking of the increased fuel consumption=cost (30% nitro). However, 15% is pretty reasonable and from what I've been able to gather alot of the nitro manufactures will, if not already, be making a 15% with this motor in mind. The decreased cost of 15% nitro should help offset the cost of increased consumption. If I hadn't just bought a 91 3DS....christmas is coming though...hmmm *sinister laugh*
Old 11-18-2011, 04:05 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

my ys120 arived and the new Hatori
only issue i had was taht the clutch bell fit over the clutch (which was new) was a bit crummy so i had to do some dremel work on it. seems smaller than the HZ 91 i swoped out.

will see how it flies. using a 8 OS glo plug
Old 11-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadL View Post
That's a big selling point for me. When I first heard of this motor my initial thought was no thanks. I didn't know anything about the motor, I was purely thinking of the increased fuel consumption=cost (30% nitro). However, 15% is pretty reasonable and from what I've been able to gather alot of the nitro manufactures will, if not already, be making a 15% with this motor in mind. The decreased cost of 15% nitro should help offset the cost of increased consumption. If I hadn't just bought a 91 3DS....christmas is coming though...hmmm *sinister laugh*
Byron Fuels makes Rotor Rage 15% Masters Blend! That's what Tim is using with his YS 120 and it's got sick power!
Old 12-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

now the 120 is out we need the 60!!!
tacomaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default The 1.20 is out???

The 1.20 is out? I'm still waiting on mine. I've got orders at Grand RC and A Main but delivery keeps getting delayed. I have had the pipe for two months now.
Glenn Goodlett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlett View Post
The 1.20 is out? I'm still waiting on mine. I've got orders at Grand RC and A Main but delivery keeps getting delayed. I have had the pipe for two months now.
Engines hit the US the past week so they should be enroute to stores!
Old 12-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by popadel View Post
my ys120 arived and the new Hatori
only issue i had was taht the clutch bell fit over the clutch (which was new) was a bit crummy so i had to do some dremel work on it. seems smaller than the HZ 91 i swoped out.

will see how it flies. using a 8 OS glo plug
Try an Enya 5.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am planning a 700 nitro build this winter and I am exploring the 120. I have a 600 nitro and I love it. Theres nothing like the sound and smell of nitro.......It's cool!!!
I'm not into bangin the sticks so power is not an issue for me, but the 120 has plenty of power if you need it.
foolforspeed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

My align starter already struggles to even start my 91 Speed motor.... Hope it will start this thing! Anyone else have any recommendations for starters? I just never felt like modifying a high torque starter to use align shaft???
aviator493 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Will 30% work?

My YS 120 finally arrived today.

Can I run the engine on 30% Masters blend as it comes from the factory? Or do I need to add a head shim. The manual says it is designed for 15-20%. Does anyone know if an OS head shim will fit or where I can get an additional shim of needed?

Glenn
Old 12-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlett View Post
My YS 120 finally arrived today.

Can I run the engine on 30% Masters blend as it comes from the factory? Or do I need to add a head shim. The manual says it is designed for 15-20%. Does anyone know if an OS head shim will fit or where I can get an additional shim of needed?

Glenn
I don't believe there are any optional head shims for this motor. It will run on 30%, it just runs a lot better on 15%.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:31 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nasca View Post
I don't believe there are any optional head shims for this motor. It will run on 30%, it just runs a lot better on 15%.
Let's go turbine! Even powerful than electric .....hihihihhihi www.wrenturbines.co.uk and make it super! I did my trex700 conversion and every time I start the beast everybody shakes...lol

Check it out....6.4 hp at 193.ooo rpm ......more than that?
v190277 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think if the manual says to use a certain kind of fuel that means you should only run that kind of fuel.. Now with that said here's Greggor McGrath from Amain doing a flight on his motor AFTER he realized it needs to be rebuilt anyway.. But with his new motor I know he will be running 15% only if that helps you with your decission

Enjoy the video...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwnHwWeyuzs&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]
Old 12-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actually with this motor you can run 30% and or 15% I choose to run 15% as I feel the engine runs smoother and it seems to not make as much heat. The engine doesn't seem to handle the 30% as good and makes a little more heat so the power doesn't seem as consistent. My take is that the 15% makes no less power but rather more consistent power on this day I ran out of 15% so I re tuned for 30% and is what you see in this video. My glow plug came lose and sucked some air on the next flight and leaned the motor so now its inspection time as I didn't find the element in the plug . I love this engine and with the Byron 15% makes a perfect combination for awesome power. I feel this is really a new dawning for Nitro flying : Greggor McGrath

Last edited by #1Amainer; 12-13-2011 at 07:30 PM..
#1Amainer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

I decided to not run my 120 on 30% but Masters Blend 22.5% instead. I had to crank the low needle out half a turn to get it to idle. Ran through a gallon for break in, then started to tune for power. I still not happy with the tune but I'll resume tommorow. Others have suggested a hotter plug than an OS-8. I ordered a variety and will experiment upon arrival.

Overall the motor seems to have more power than my previous (OS .91 hzr), but not 20% more as I was hoping. I can still bog the Radix 690s but the YS seems to recover quicker. I was hoping the 690s would be unbogable and switch to 710s. Hopefully a hotter plug and a leaner tune will yield a little more power. The motor runs well and vibes are not an issue.

Also I have no experience with YS so any insight with tuning is greatly appreciated.

Glenn
Old 12-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Finless Bob and Tim Jones made a nitro tuning video on this motor. Tim is running a larger pinion than the stock Trex 700 by 1 tooth which is harder on the motor but it is still unboggable as you will see. Yours will sound the same loaded up but not bogging out when it is correctly setup.. That tuning video is on this forum located here:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=276520
Old 12-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the tip with the videos of Bob and Tim. I definately got my 120 running stronger, was rich on all three needles. However, there was no info regarding selecting the correct plug. Maybe that is a much more advanced topic? Can I damage the engine running too cold of a plug? Will the engine need much of a retune when I switch from an OS 8 to an Enya 5?

Glenn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in