Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 450: Which Night Mail Blades?

I just got night lights and now, looking for mail blades, it seems that (other than DIY) we have only two options:

1) Align : which my LHS (and others I have talked to) confirmed a high rate of returns due to malfuntion

or

2) MS Composit : which is programmable (don't need that) and it costs a lot

Help with experiences is VERY appreciated!!

Roberto.
Mesnik is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

you can get MS blades that are not programmable(cheaper)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/22429

DIY is the way to go IMO, they look great, are super cheap, and you can make them any color you want.

If you need any info on making diy blades i just made a few sets and can help you out with what to buy and such.

Last edited by mikebilyk; 07-03-2009 at 09:36 AM..
mikebilyk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the reply!!

I would love to make my own!! Whenever you are ready, let me know for the class!!!

Thanks a lot again!!

Roberto.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Okay here ya go. DIY night blades parts list.

Blades: I like the Align 325D blades, best ive flown so far for the price. $32 bucks.
http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/mer...ct_Code=HS1292

Lipo Batteries: you need two(2) 1S 70mah. they fit great and give you about 4-6 flights on a charge. $5 bucks each.
http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=93&

Copper tape: I can only find it in 1/4in wide so you have to cut it in half but it still works. $12 bucks.
http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-CFL-5CA-C...2924238&sr=1-2

SMD 0805 LED's: You can use Blue,Green or White color. $ .30 each I would buy atleast 10 of each color.( you will mess up a few soldering)
http://www.unique-leds.com/index.php...ory_id=188each.

Pack Heat Shrink Tubing: 37mm is the size you need for 325 blades. $1 sold by the foot.
http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/index....ia=&searchCat=

You will also need:

1: Soldering Iron
2: Rosin core solder.
3: CA glue
4: DEANS 3 Pin Connectors. you need 2 for each set of blades

You will spend a little bit for everything but once you have all the stuff you can make a set of night blades for about $45 bucks!

Look at Mudbugger2's post in this thread, he has a great step by step write up on how to make them.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=33567&page=4

If you need anything else just ask.

I think its fun making you own blades and you will save a lot of money in the long run

Old 07-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

few pics of my first set. Im now working on a set of 710 blades for my trex700

Old 07-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

O-U-T-S-T-A-N-D-I-N-G !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am FOR SURE work on this during this long holiday weekend!!!!!!!

I just finished a Pantera with an OS 70 in it, in time for tomorrow!! So it is a bit late, but tomorrow I will digest all the info and get to work!

Stay tuned for the results...

Once more, thanks A LOT, man!!

Roberto
Old 07-03-2009, 01:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default two thumbs up

mikebilyk, you are my hero. I am addicted (worse than crack) to night flying, and I am depressed right now because I have no more sets of night blades. I usually keep a stock of 'em just in case, but somehow let myself slip and overlooked having a backup set this time.

I have been thinking about DIY night blades for a while now and now you validate my thoughts that it is a viable solution...and undoubtedly a lot cheaper. Thank you so much for sharing this information so generously.

BTW: any ideas as to how to whip up a pair for the 250? Is the weight a limiting factor here? I have been thinking that you could somehow mount a single cell carefully in place of the head button that both blades could share from via a short wire, though obviously that would be the Achilles' Heel, as long as one was aware of that fragile part, it could make it possible to have a night rigging for the baby-bird?

Thanks again, and would love to hear any feedback/ideas you have (or maybe even solution!) to the 205 sized blades.

--Jonathan
jrlederer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info, this is JUST what I was looking for! I bought one of those Hobby King 450 T-Rex SA clones for $35 with a $12 motor and $10 ESC. I got a $25 digital tail servo and a $22 mystery gyro. I already have HS65mgs for the cyclic and a AR6100 receiver.

My goal is a CHEAP night flyer for this winter as I'm not sure how much I'll use it. I figured I might as well spend the least amount of $!

I was going to get a "built" set of blades, but I like the idea of being able to replace the lipos/etc. if something happens down the road.

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 205 blades

not sure, as i dont own a 250 but i think you could make a set. 50mah is the smallest 1S lipo that ive seen and should work.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mike,

I tried to find locally the tape and the SMD LED but no luck... no sweat, I ordered from the web pages you've recommended and they are on their way!!

I will report back...

later
Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default NIce and easy!!!!

Mike,

The tape and LEDs arrived and last night I worked on them... It is a lot of fun!! Well, after you get over dealing with the little bastards!! It is like micro cirurgy!

I ordered from from Unique, and got green, yellow, and blue. It seems like the yellow and green are not as strong as the blues? And the yellows all but one burnt out the minute load was applied?!

Also, funny, two blues in one blade look great, and on the other blade, one looks greenish and weak, and the other is super weak. Bad batch? Poor soldering job? I am using a 30 W soldering pen.

Now to the main question: I soldered the 3-legged deans like mudbugger... What do you use to turn the lights on? Cause now you have to short two pins? I was thinking of a 2-legged deans...

Again, man, thanks for all the help!!!!!

Roberto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in