Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

[quote=justwannahavefun;5468258]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helioop View Post
Everyone who uses Kontronik ESCs raves about their quality and reliability, and especially about their superior governor function. I’m now among the converted, but it wasn’t easy. The Manual is barely helpful and customer service can range from great to non-existent; I’ve experienced both extremes. Long hard searches on the web didn’t unearth much help either. Maybe help is out there, but I didn’t find it. So I thought I’d share some of my hard-found setup experience for others left scratching their heads over setting up these wonderful ESCs.

I'm thinking of buying Kontronic. Motor and ESC. That's why I'm here. Trying to find out what people think. I like the idea that you love the ESC. I'm pretty put off by the fact that you have such hit and miss experience with customer service.

ANYTHING that costs this much money should have Mercedes customer service. This is not the first time I've heard of Kontronic customer service trouble. It's really got me thinking . This hobby is supposed to be fun. When spending on the upper end of the spectrum for a product a person should have nothing but positive experiences. Of course there will always be some quality issues. No one is perfect. But if you do have a quality issue Kontronic should be bending over backwards to help.

I did notice another post here on HeliFreak that had a Kontronic rep looking as if he was really trying to help a guy with a problem. That's nice when you're looking at spending $550.00 on an ESC.

It also worries me that the documentation is lacking. I've found this often in this hobby. I realize that it's tough to write really good instructions. That being said, it's no excuse. Why do manufacturers assume that all of us are at the same level and or experience and therefore do not need much help?

No matter the level, good instructions are a must. I guess I'm barking up the wrong tree though.
If you notice the post date of this thread is over 3 years old. In the last 3 years the support for kontronik in the United States has changed dramatically.

About 2 and a half years ago I purchased my first Kontronik product. It was a jive 100lv for a gaui x5 i owned at the time. I was astonished at the simplicity of the programming, and the dramatic increase in performance and efficiency. I did have a little bit of a time learning the modes and yes using the jumper was a bit of an annoyance but overall you could program in minutes and be ready to fly. There was a lot of information circulated about how to adjust throttle end points that was false that confused a lot of people. I had to research a bit and this thread in fact helped me figure it out, and from then on i started helping people realize what i had.

About a year and a half ago Kontronik USA was established headed up by Charles. I was fortunate enough to become a part of it and I have been providing help in any way i can on here and to people i meet. A US servicing facility was also created with the help of Greg Alderman (Helidirect). He now handles both Jive firmware updates as well as motor shaft and bearing replacement here in the United States. Charles can also provide firmware updates as well as being able to ship your esc internationally for any service that may be required at the factory in Germany.

With this new level of service we have been able to much better help customers within the US.

I hope this reassures you and if you ever need help PM me or send me an email or even call whichever you prefer. I am here to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Kontronik Jive ESC Mode & Governor Setup

I had help a year ago sending my HeliJive 120 in because I thought I had an issue. They sent it to Germany and it was checked out upgraded and returned no cost!!!! Can't beat that!!

On the iPad again,
JCL
Old 12-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got Heli Jive on the way! Just a little confused about auto-bailout;
After programming- can I keep my 3 position switch as I have it today:
Normal 0% <-- change this to "bailout" value*
IU1 45%
IU2 65%

*percentage that doesn't arm the Jive but works for bailout too: possible ??

So I just wanna keep my tx as it is today without any "bailout"/ TH switch..
Thanks fellows !!

Edit This could give me unwanted fast spoolups.....I just have to stay in normal mode more than 15 seconds if I'm on the ground
Old 12-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

The way you set it up is using throttle hold as your bail out value aka a flat line between 20 and 30% depending on transmitter brand. You leave normal at 0 and use it of you want to cancel bail out early if you land before the timer is up and want to take off with slow start and as your arming curve
Old 12-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is very clarifying thanks.

I have to rethink my system(8FG) now, especially since I don't have a traditional TH switch in use. That is incorporated in the IU three position switch ( assigned: SE )

I wonder how people are solving this bailout switch physically.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use a separate switch for my Futaba radio and assign idle up 3 to the SC switch and use a 20% flat curve for Bailout with a Helijive, When setting up bailout with the Helijive for futaba you need to change 17% default TH value to 19 or so to get the tele ring tone for bail out activating you can use this value in TH if your going to use the TH switch for bailout, If using a separate switch with a flight mode curve return to the default value of 17 after programming bailout! This is for Futaba only, Spektrum bailout programming uses a TH value of 15-30% to get the tele confirmation tones for bailout programming . Heres a good thread to familiarize yourself with Bailout programming and setup these threads answer a lot of questions,The posts written by dl7uae are very informative! https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=bailout+setup

Last edited by Magneto; 12-10-2013 at 04:51 PM..
Magneto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey thats some awesome reps, awesome good help!
Wait- why distinguish/differ "TH switch" and "separate switch"
Old 12-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Rig View Post
Hey thats some awesome reps, awesome good help!
Wait- why distinguish/differ "TH switch" and "separate switch"
You can use either TH or a separate switch tied to a flight mode ,I saw your post and wanted to give you all the options!
Old 12-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am just getting a heli jive now and I have been flying with the ikon and dx8. My question is that my "travel" is set well above 100 in my throttle setting in order to make it 100% in the ikon setup. Do I leave this and the esc will recognize the endpoints or do I set the travel back to 100 in the DX8 and not worry about what it is reading in the ikon setup? Sorry if this has already been explained but I could not clarify by reading the post
cpatts2000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #110 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Default Kontronik Jive ESC Mode &amp; Governor Setup

Get the ikon right and HJ will learn the rest.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatts2000 View Post
I am just getting a heli jive now and I have been flying with the ikon and dx8. My question is that my "travel" is set well above 100 in my throttle setting in order to make it 100% in the ikon setup. Do I leave this and the esc will recognize the endpoints or do I set the travel back to 100 in the DX8 and not worry about what it is reading in the ikon setup? Sorry if this has already been explained but I could not clarify by reading the post
If you're using the Kontronik governor then do not adjust your throttle endpoints in the iKON setup. Set them back to default in your transmitter then do a mode 1 reset on your Jive to make sure they're correct.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Rotation View Post
If you're using the Kontronik governor then do not adjust your throttle endpoints in the iKON setup. Set them back to default in your transmitter then do a mode 1 reset on your Jive to make sure they're correct.
Exactly!! Setting up the Throttle endpoints for the Ikon is a No No as you are not using the Ikon Gov! Leave your throttle endpoints in the radio at default! 100/100
Old 01-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Rotation View Post
+1

I made this same mistake a few months ago. It was pretty obvious that something was not right since the governor was not holding the headspeed. I would notice a drop shortly after loading the disc, like there was a delay. It was not responding to load as it should.

After adjusting the endpoints, the governor was able to hold the headspeed without breaking a sweat.
- Spektrum DX7
SeanM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question

im using a dx6i in normal should I set TC to 60 flat, IU1 to 65 flat, so I don't want 0 to 100 TC right? spool up at mid stick , wait for motor to kick, than take off, now can I hit IU1 while im flying, or do I have to take off in IU1 spool up, and the way I understand is that I have to spool up and wait every pac, do I have it right, dont want a freak show when I maiden the 570 thanks
pert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

you got it right. you can change idle ups all you want after the first start up.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ok, so if I'm in I U 1 at say 63% and while im flying I can hit IU2 at 65% the esc will do it by its self. im lost but if it works that's all I care, thanks
Old 03-15-2014, 02:46 AM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Kontronik Jive ESC Mode &amp; Governor Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pert View Post
ok, so if I'm in I U 1 at say 63% and while im flying I can hit IU2 at 65% the esc will do it by its self. im lost but if it works that's all I care, thanks
That is correct. You will here the rpm change and stay at 65%.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #118 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

thanks kenny
Old 03-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question programming mode

I am trying to program a Different TX with My jive 120. TH set to 0, all trims to 0 and a linear TC. The Jive goes right into programming mode, however after the first beep and I apply full throttle to clear any programming nothing happens, as in no descending or confirmation tones. It just goes into two beeps, three beeps etc etc.
renefigueroa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sv: Kontronik Jive ESC Mode &amp; Governor Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by renefigueroa View Post
I am trying to program a Different TX with My jive 120. TH set to 0, all trims to 0 and a linear TC. The Jive goes right into programming mode, however after the first beep and I apply full throttle to clear any programming nothing happens, as in no descending or confirmation tones. It just goes into two beeps, three beeps etc etc.
Futaba? Reverse throttle?

@TapaT green

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in