Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 03:21 AM   #301 (permalink)
Registered Users

What did I do with my protos today?

Got him a stretched brother...

PRÔTOS 500 Brain HK-3026
PRÔTOS 500 StretchVbar HK-3026
rchelijc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #302 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I pickup up a used Protos from a club member and started getting it ready last night (teardown and rebuild with new servos and motor). Ordered a couple of parts from Helidirect this morning to finish her up and should be flying by this weekend if all goes well.

Next step will be to order a complete set of bearings and do a full swap after it's been setup and tested. The original bearings all look good, but I'm a bit too cautious to go on faith.

Outrage G5 - Outrage 550 - Gaui 200 - Gaui X5 - Trex250 - Trex450 - SJM 215 - MSH PRÔTOS - many planks
javabased is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #303 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm more then positive most of the guys in this forum fly WAY better then I, but I do have fun..
I get to fly so much because I literally live across the street from the field I fly at, and I am done with my work shift at 2:30.. I charge at work or the night before, come in grab the packs and get goin.. sometimes I come in recharge and go back.. depends on if the field is busy.. yesterday and today no flyin to hot for me.
Sucks to because I came out this moring and a friggin boot was on my truck.. never loan (irresponsible women your car), so I was off today, but she is lookin pretty over there on the mantle lol.
Off to the SIM
ZMR 250
Dazhim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #304 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Lots of time on the Protos tonight.
  • Replaced D520 with Hyperion DS20-GMD
  • New boom
  • Aluminum Pulleys
  • Aluminum tail pulley
  • New main grips and FBL links
  • New Lynx canopy mounts
  • New Mavrikk 430mm blades

Did a bit of hovering, tracking was spot on, no need to balance the blades at all, very impressed with the Mavrikk's. Tomorrow I'll put some time into tail tweaks and see what she can do.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #305 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sigh, more tail wag. When I first got the Protos (used), it had an old 18t tail pulley on it, never could get it to hold right, ended up going to the 20t. So after last crash, and getting a new full size rudder servo, I decided to try the 18t again and picked up the new aluminum 18t part.

First time flying it today and could not get rid of the slow hover wag with the 18t at all. I started with the ball at 13.5mm on the rudder servo arm, Param D red, BX gain at F (63.5% on DX6i). Dropped all the way down to Param D at purple and 60% gain, still there and the tail was horrible on response.

Came home and put the 20t back on, much better, but still a little wag in hover and when settling down to hover after a pitch pump. Moved ball back out to 13.5mm, seems to be a bit better, but still need some tweaking.

/sigh, we'll see how much I can figure out tomorrow
Old 07-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #306 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaofos View Post
Sigh, more tail wag. When I first got the Protos (used), it had an old 18t tail pulley on it, never could get it to hold right, ended up going to the 20t. So after last crash, and getting a new full size rudder servo, I decided to try the 18t again and picked up the new aluminum 18t part.

First time flying it today and could not get rid of the slow hover wag with the 18t at all. I started with the ball at 13.5mm on the rudder servo arm, Param D red, BX gain at F (63.5% on DX6i). Dropped all the way down to Param D at purple and 60% gain, still there and the tail was horrible on response.

Came home and put the 20t back on, much better, but still a little wag in hover and when settling down to hover after a pitch pump. Moved ball back out to 13.5mm, seems to be a bit better, but still need some tweaking.

/sigh, we'll see how much I can figure out tomorrow
Are you sure that it is a tail "wag" and not something else - I have been chasing a wag / flutter on my 450 Pro along with a strange "chirping" noise. It all started after a crash when I changed / replaced a few things, so I replaced a whole load of tail bits without success,

I was thinking through what else I changed at the same time and I remembered that it was also when I changed my CC esc from running curves to governor, to cut a long story short, my "chirping and tail flutter /wag" was caused by having my ESC governor gain set much too high

Sorry if this is slightly off topic
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #307 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Are you sure that it is a tail "wag" and not something else - I have been chasing a wag / flutter on my 450 Pro along with a strange "chirping" noise. It all started after a crash when I changed / replaced a few things, so I replaced a whole load of tail bits without success,

I was thinking through what else I changed at the same time and I remembered that it was also when I changed my CC esc from running curves to governor, to cut a long story short, my "chirping and tail flutter /wag" was caused by having my ESC governor gain set much too high

Sorry if this is slightly off topic
I haven't tried Gov mode on the CC ESC, still running fixed endpoints. Logging shows my headspeed staying within the 2600-2800 range, so I doubt it's related to that. Also the ESC settings didn't change between last build with the D520 and 20t pulley where the tail was pretty darn solid.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #308 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I flew a pack on the Protos today testing governor gain at 30 (CC Ice 75 Lite). It worked much better than expected: tail kicks are much smaller in pitch pumps or abrupt stops (previously gain was 25). I didn't notice any ill effects.

Also, this was my 300th flight ever
(counted on big helis 450 and above, I don't keep track of the mcpx flights). A little more than 509 total Ah thrown in the air
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #309 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

More tail issues.. I'm bout to give up on this servo and try the D520 again.

I've tried every iteration of servo arm ball distance, Param D and gyro gain I can think of.

I start with Param D Red, Gain at F, dial it back to D, then lower Param D and try again. I cannot find a combination where I am happy with the tail behavior. Tried this at 13.5mm and 11mm ball distance on the servo arm.

I'm open to theories at this point before I throw the D520 back on it.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #310 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

When nothing else makes sense, go back to the mechanics.

I tore the tail apart and re-built it exactly as the manual shows. I noticed that there were some washers on the tail grip bolts that aren't shown in the manual, so I left them out, and wow, such a tiny thing made such a huge difference! I think one of the washers must have been a little too large and was keeping one of the grips from rotating properly at high speeds, which given the issues I experienced, makes perfect sense. So now I'm sittin with the ball at 11mm (gonna leave it here for now) and Param D Red, Gain at E on the BX. Gotta bump Dial 3 down a notch or two, the blades bark and bounce after left-rudder piro's, but I'm much happier now!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #311 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got in six solid flights today. Put on the 3k tail blades, and had a blast. Flew her as hard as I've ever flown irl. Ugly tik-toks, hard rainbows, cyclic reversals, hard stops, full pitch speed runs, everything my meager skills could attempt. She took it and asked for more.

One weird thing. On one hard stop, the motor just quit. I hit TH, set her down gently, looked her over, put her back in a hover to verify all was well, and flew the rest of the pack. I didn't have any flashing lights, no esc error tones, nothing. I didn't have any other problems afterwards. :

Sent from my Tapatalk using iPhone.
RCHN #0650 AMA# 448427
th0rg0d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #312 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had some good flights this afternoon, up until the end of the second flight, right as the timer went off, the belt slipped off the main gear, no idea how, but i was already coming in for a landing so it was an easy auto, no damage.

I came home and tightened up the belt and boom a tiny bit, we'll see how she does tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #313 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0rg0d View Post
One weird thing. On one hard stop, the motor just quit.
Sounds like one way bearing letting go...
Old 07-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #314 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey, Thor. Don't oil the OWB. If you did, take it apart and wipe it clean. It will slip if it's greased. Don't ask how I know
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #315 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. M View Post
Hey, Thor. Don't oil the OWB. If you did, take it apart and wipe it clean. It will slip if it's greased. Don't ask how I know
I haven't. I did though oil for the first time, the swash, main bearings, tail slider, and tail bearings. When it happened, I thought maybe the belt popped off the pinion. But, I managed to fly out the pack, and subsequent packs, without repeating the problem.
RCHN #0650 AMA# 448427
th0rg0d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #316 (permalink)
Registered Users

to test OWB, grab your motor can to keep it from turning and turn your blades backwards, if it stays locked its fine, if you can make it slip, its broken.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #317 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, I put her in today. 2nd flight, about 1min left on timer, I'm about 20 ft away, 10 Ft up. She starts a slow piro, I cant control tail. I know then I gotta land. Try to come down in Piro hover, but I cant piro hover yet. She picks up Piro speed, about 4 sec/rotation 6 ft up. OK, TH time. She goes in on her side. Edge Blades, Feathering shaft, 2 9650 gearset's. for sure. Both Long Uniballs pulled out of grips. I can Epoxy them in tho. Straightened the studs on them.
What caused it, Well, I think I ejected a tail blade grip. When I picked up the Pcs, one Tail was missing. Found it about 40ft away. And the Align Servo horn on my DS650 had broken. Down at the next hole, not the hole that the Uniball was bolted through. it's the 6 sided horn, so I can move to another arm on that for now. Figure the grip ejected, causing to much vibs for BX. The 70MM KBDD tails sure do have nice authority though. There a bit larger than stock, and landing is tough to not scrape them need to land left side down not right

I went to fly my B400 too, an she wanted to Piro as well. Found I had installed KBDD tails on backwards. Only change form last flight. So must have caused some flutter/vibes.
"Tri-Flow"
I put that S*** on everything!"
banditpowdercoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #318 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Stripped a servo gear today on an auto attempt on my second battery out of 4. Luckily I had ordered some replacement gears for my 9650s a few weeks ago. I fixed it when I got home and now I have two batteries already charged to fly in the morning before work.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #319 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbefield View Post
Stripped a servo gear today on an auto attempt on my second battery out of 4. Luckily I had ordered some replacement gears for my 9650s a few weeks ago. I fixed it when I got home and now I have two batteries already charged to fly in the morning before work.
I haven't even flown my s9650s in the protos yet. I've got MKS 9660 metal gears on the way, which I'll swap, before I maiden her.

PRÔTOS 500 Brain HK-3026
PRÔTOS 500 StretchVbar HK-3026
rchelijc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #320 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Today I took my Vbar off in anticipation of the Brain.
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in