Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flybarless conversion

Hello all. I had recently started a thread to clarify about the doubts and set up my crashed Belt CP V2 after the arrival of replacement parts.
Sutty, Chansen(Chris) and Jperkosk helped me and showed immense interest in helping me out. But I somehow couldn't get things right and I ended up having the pitch up to 2 degrees even when the throttle stick was pulled completely down. I just couldn't set things right, althought I very badly wanted to fly my heli! I somehow tried to fly it again but the tail always seems to be pulling to the right while on the ground and I had to hold the tail direction stick to the left always, lol. I had set up the tail perfectly, but still it wouldn't hold. do I need to change my gyro? It's a stock esky gyro.
Also, when I take to the air while tyting to hover, the heli tends to yaw to my left. It's so annoying and irritating. I changed my main shaft and feathering shaft thinking it was bent and yet, it doesn't simply get under my control. I am deperately wanting to fly.
So, I recently saw this video about converting the heli to flybarless system. I had this spare stock head which I got with the Heli, so I decided to do it. I cut the top flybar attaching part and left alone only the blade clamp area.
But I don't know which connecting rod/link I'm supposed to use to connect the swash plate to the blade clamp. My existing link is too long and I can't cut it. what do I do? Please help. Thank you! :^)
amruram is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Phew, I don't know where to begin? I think firstly you should stop your thoughts with regard to FBL conversion. As a beginner there is far too much to deal with when converting to FBL. You have to be able to fly and understand your heli in the first place, or you won't be able to go through the setup and fine tuning of your FBL setup.

Are you aware that if you convert to FBL, that your heli will be virtually unflyable? It is a little like fly by wire on a modern jet fighter, without the intervention of the onboard computers, even the best pilots in the world cannot fly these aircraft. Okay, so I said virtually unflyable, and the reason I said that is that there are one or two examples out there of pilots being able to manage their helis using only dual rate and expo settings, and skill, but without these they would definitely fail.

If you do go FBL you need a controller, like the computer on the jets. These controllers take over the direct flying of the heli creating stability where previoulsy it would be so responsive it would almost certainly be crashed within the first few seconds. These controllers are expensive, and require quite some knowledge to set them up. There are many to choose from, and I am not in a position to say which is best for you, but I do know that I could not have coped with setting up my heli as FBL, whilst I was in the early stages of learning to simply fly it as it was.

So, if I were you, I would re-visit why you cannot get the set-up correct with your existing set-up. Post some pictures, describe what you have done, show us where the head/servos are in various stick positions, etc, motor disconnected of course, and we will be able to help you get it right.

When you have the pitch range right, we can come back to your tail, but for now, no it will probably not need a new gyro, it is possible to learn to fly with the stock esky gyro. They are not the best, of course, but they are good enough. There is probably something wrong with your tail set-up too, which again we can help you get right.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the quick response, Sutty! I will definitely get back to you with pictures or probably videos! I'll just stop what I'm doing(conversion) and look to solving the problem! Lol. Thank you for that explanation! :^)
amruram is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Damn good advise, Sutty!

Fbl can be easy to set up, but you do need to know what you are doing first. Then again, it can be a real bitch even then.

Amruram, revisit the Finless Bob's how to video's, get yourself a couple cheap tool if you already don't have them, like a swash plate leveler, and a pitch gauge.
Then please feel free to come back with any and all questions.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi amruram,
One other thing about FBL. you need to have a computer Transmitter .. like a Spektrum dx6-dx7 of Futuba etc.. otherwise you canot control and setup a FBL controller. Also it is very debatable whether it will all fit on the Belt CP frame..

as Sutty suggests, lets have a close look at your setup to find the problem..

proceed as follows .. disconnect the motor, switch on Tx then Rx, throtle at 50%, and Idle up mode is ON.
Some close up photos of the head from various angles in this mode will probably be enough to spot the problems with pitch.. Also show us the pitch measurement at top, mid and bottum stick !!

The tail issue .. also some shots of the tail servo and tail unit ..

dont' worry.. between us we should be able to sort it out mate !

btw guys, he has the ET6I 2.4Ghz Tx, setup in mode 2
chansen1953 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 Sutty, fine advice as always.

I agree 100%. Sort out the problems you got with the pitch first, then move onto the tail.

If you have to much pitch on the main blades at mid stick (which is how I read it), the blades will be dragging through the air, causing extra load on the main blades and the headspeed to drop on both main and tail blades. It will make the heli unstable and could possibly be part of the problem with the tail not having enough authority to hold properly.

I know it's hard when your so eager to fly, but take your time to learn about the problems, as you need the knowledge to trouble-shoot after a crash re-build Of which there will be many!!

Good Luck
TRex600N, Kasama Head, OS50SX
copterboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Team,

Need some thoughts on flybarless conversion, I know this is a old topic but it seems that now the FBL systems are cheap and yet durable to be tried out on a belt CP first. I am planning to go for a ZYX on this one.

However I am stuck with the same question which links to be used and how should I hold the washout assembly at one place on the main shaft. Please advice
hellyflyer1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've just successfully converted my cpx to flybarless. It flies like a dream. Like its on rails!!!
To do the conversion I bought the following:
3d pro blades
Spectrum dx6i
Copterx 450 pro fbl head(not dfc)
450 swash with anti rotation pin capable to be fitted in 2 locations - no need to move the ar bracket
Hobbymate fbl unit
Satellite receiver
If anyone wants to know the finer details let me know.
I can say it was well worth it. 100%. A pleasure to fly. No pitching up at all in fff.
The hobbymate is a beast x clone. Setup is a breeze.
shepster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

We're always interested in things that work out well, especially when done to a nice budget, and even if many of us have moved on from when we had our Belt-CPs, there are always people who come later, who may well want to try what you have already successfully achieved.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepster View Post
I've just successfully converted my cpx to flybarless. It flies like a dream. Like its on rails!!!
To do the conversion I bought the following:
3d pro blades
Spectrum dx6i
Copterx 450 pro fbl head(not dfc)
450 swash with anti rotation pin capable to be fitted in 2 locations - no need to move the ar bracket
Hobbymate fbl unit
Satellite receiver
If anyone wants to know the finer details let me know.
I can say it was well worth it. 100%. A pleasure to fly. No pitching up at all in fff.
The hobbymate is a beast x clone. Setup is a breeze.
Thanks Shepster I will surely get in touch with you once I get my FBL unit..

Also should work on modifying the stock head or just order a copter x FBL head instead?
Old 09-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes you need to get the copterx head. Now writing up how I did it.
Will be posting soon.
shepster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can't wait to see it, even if only for nostalgia purposes. Would love to see a vid of how it flies if possible.

The belt was know for being a little under powered, but it can perform well with the right mods.

Good Luck
Old 09-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Don't Copterex do a flapping head that you can use without a FBL controller...?

(Seriously, they called it a flapping head....)
Old 09-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A quick search turned up that this is for 3 or more bladed heads, not 2 bladed....
Old 10-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Team,

I need help converting mg existing plastic head into a fbl head I saw a video of the same. And think its doable but just need to know how to fix the washout assembly on the main shaft. Pls help
Old 11-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default This link shows how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyflyer1 View Post
Team,

I need help converting mg existing plastic head into a fbl head I saw a video of the same. And think its doable but just need to know how to fix the washout assembly on the main shaft. Pls help
http://www.audacitymodels.com/Produc...3/Default.aspx
notlarc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oops! Old thread
Old 03-21-2016, 09:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 2009 Esky belt CP Flybarless

2009 E-Sky Belt CP with custom Flybarless head and Kbar (1 min 0 sec)
hursto75 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in